Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quirky1

B.C. government offers $17m in funding incentives for green cars

9 posts in this topic

B.C. government offers $17m in funding incentives for green cars.

Starting in December, B.C. drivers will be eligible for $5,000 off the sticker price of vehicles powered by either new-battery electric, fuel-cell electric, plug-in hybrid electric or compressed natural gas. Of the funds, about $2.5 million will go toward the BC Scrap-It program. As well, homeowners who install dedicated charging stations in their homes for their clean-energy vehicles will get a rebate of up to $500 per station.

So yet again the the general population is being forced to subsidize a privileged few. Although considering how indebted the government is with no prospect of eliminating the deficit anytime soon it's more a cost being pushed off to some vague future when we can afford it.Just raise the price of energy, that would do more to encourage more frugal buying and less use of existing gas guzzlers than any convoluted wasteful attempt to pick winners and losers by bureaucrats ever could. If you want to make it even more fair set the energy cost at a level that will bring in an extra $500 per person, then issue a $200 cheque to everyone. Those taking the bus, driving an efficient vehicle short distances, living in a small place with the thermostat set low etc see a net benefit, those driving a massive pick-up truck alone and empty from their air-conned 6000 foot sprawling McMansion in Abbotsford to Richmond every day pay a LOT more.Remember the old hybrid vehicle grant, applying to "hybrid" Escalades, Yukons and 600 Hp luxury cars? And the single mom whose 89 Civic needs tires helped pay for it.

huh... can't say I thought about it that way. Good points, Alex. I applaud the general idea, but you're right that there are better ways to achieve the goal. Then again, the "goal" is more than what's stated. Its also, undoubtedly, about driving consumerism which, in the short term at least, helps the immediate problem of the economy (and eventually gets us back into the same problem it put us in now). In theory anyway.Still... I do like the idea of encouraging a more rapid adoption of electric cars. Ideally, I guess, the woman needing the tires would be given a much larger subsidy, paid for by the rich, to get her new electric smart car.

There is a bigger picture idea of trying to help an industry get going....It's never s imple evaluation.There is also Ontario with their $8500 incentives.......How much did this Government on the way out spend on stick men adverts???

So the car costs 38000 and you get back 5000 bringing the price to 33000. Angela and I took a leaf for a drive about 4 days ago here in Palm Springs. Really liked it. They had 5 on the lot (two were still shrink wrapped in plastic and had just arrived. Price was 29900 before any incentives or rebates. I wonder how hard it is to import a leaf into Canada?We are not in the market for a new car (read can't afford it) but still makes you wonder why the huge price delta between Canada and the US.

Edited by John & Angela

These subsidies to the relatively wealthy, funded from general revenue, are stupid. It's extremely regressive taxation and Alex is right on.The abolished program that was a bonus/malus (surcharge on new gas guzzlers, refund for high efficiency cars) is a far better basis for this sort of thing. For one thing, it theoretically compounds the intended effect upon buying behaviours. For another, it did not transfer wealth from $25 K per year marginally paid workers to those who make four times that. Oh well.Carmakers charge more in Canada because they can. Full stop!

Sometimes you have to check the car's specifications closely to answer that question... other times, we're just getting screwed.Look at the smart, for example. It is much cheaper in the US, but we have much more standard features. Because we're a smaller market, it isn't unusual for our products to come with more high-margin "options" as standard equipment. It increases their bottom line while still having a perception of value.I'm not at all saying this is the case with the Lear. I have no idea. Nor am I saying the "standard features" are necessarily anywhere near worth the difference in price... but be sure to compare apples to apples. - Stevenps. they may also be making "bets" on where they think the relative dollar will be down the road.

Edited by SmartieParts