Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lightey

Best price for winter tires in the GTA?

9 posts in this topic

I've only ever bought tires from tirerack.com. They don't have much selection for the 450 (unless one fibs a bit) - it's probably a different story for the 451; however, the shipping is really fast.I don't have time to run around and comparison shop, and the tire shops around don't usually have the tires in stock. I also don't think I'm spending much more buying from tirerack.com than I would otherwise, but I might be wrong.

C h e c k t h e c l a s s i f i e d s !There are lots of 451 deals in the member classifieds. Failing that, try www.flyingtiger.caAnd don't bother with TPMS.

C h e c k t h e c l a s s i f i e d s !There are lots of 451 deals in the member classifieds. Failing that, try www.flyingtiger.caAnd don't bother with TPMS.

I had a look in the classifieds and there is only one reasonably current ad from a guy in Edmonton and as I mentioned, I'm in the GTA. Also, I would assume that most items for sale in the member classifieds are items being sold by members yet I'm looking for a relatively new winter tire to replace one that blew late last winter. Based on my lack of success in the member classifieds, I tried the Buyers Guide.All I wanted was to leverage off some else's recent local comparison shopping. It would be really cool to have a pinned page where we could update different dealer prices for tires. Here are a few bits of research for the benefit of other smarties (especially those in the western GTA):1. flyingtiger.ca is way out west and has the Continental TS800 listed deep in it's website for $141. You will have to add shipping and then you have to find a local installer and pay for installation, balancing and the OTS fee (used tire tax).2. The Goodyear retailer on Trafalgar & Upper Middle in Oakville quoted $196 for the same installed tire;3. A store that I found on the site that is located in Milton, Ontario. It was $167 installed. Unfortunately, I don't have their name or number. They're scheduled to call me back when the tire comes in. I hope they do because searching for them on the site again is really difficult.4. You could buy a pair or rear tires in a couple of alternate brands for about $250/$260 (say $130 each, installed)I already have the TPMS (from the old set) - not that it helped with the blow out. Should I install them or sell them to defray blow-out costs?

Your post said 'tires', not just a single tire..... that changes things...You should want a matching tire on the rear (it should match the other rear, but you can have a different make front and back).... how much tread is there on the one that did not blow out? They can be a bit different, but if the other is at half life, I'd be reluctant to match it with a new one.....You're probably looking at close to $180.00 to $200.00 for a single tire after tax and mount balance....

If you ever go to the US, you could get a single tire and ship it to a border town depot that offers hold for p/u service

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-175-55-15-CO...=item53e9931f1d

But add potential duty, HST, your cost to get it, the depot's charge, mount and balance, and it's still $180-200

I typically get deals on tires when I stay down over 48 hours, that way I skip duty and tax in my $400 allowance....

bestusedtires.com had nothing at all in 175/55/15

You could try some used tire resellers in your area... you might get lucky

hmmm ... gives me an idea for a new business. Drive to Buffalo on bald tires and comeback with a new fitted set. Smile broadly at the customs officer. Repeat.Probably not going to get rich that way unless I use a 18 wheeler on 155/55 R15's. Might look a little strange though.

Yeah, not a good idea.... might have to walk home in bald sneakers..... come back for car later.....

I bought my summer and winter Conti's HERE,

I don't remember the exact price but I remember being pleasantly surprised when I finally contacted

them. I've even recommended them to other forum members in the past, they're professional, seem competent

around a Smart and as I said-prices were surprisingly low.