Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darryl

Transport Canada investigating Smart Fortwo door latch

169 posts in this topic

Take them to Small Claims Court, the system is so backed up you will be back from Texas long before you have to attend.Canman

When the latches are replaced without removing the door panel, what happens is the door is open and the rear of the panel is partially released and with the door in an open position, the door skin contacts the front panel and when the technician is jiggling around inside the door, that is when the vertical scratches are made. I had some very minor scuffing on my nose panel from this and a damaged tape pinstripe after mine were done...

Odd that no one else has mentioned this, but as you can see in the first posts, before the recall, many of us had the work done at our expense. Now I'm wondering if we can be reimbursed for that expense since its now a proven safety defect?

I had to have my latches replaced after the recall was up on the Transport Canada site, but before the dealers had been informed of it. I had a discussion with the dealer after they were informed of it and still had no luck. It's not their problem, and they just don't care enough.

I would think that you might be able to be reimbursed, but that I you might have to deal with Mercedes Canada's head office and not the dealer, might be worth a try to contact them at least, make sure you have a receipt/ work order for the work though.

I would think that you might be able to be reimbursed, but that I you might have to deal with Mercedes Canada's head office and not the dealer, might be worth a try to contact them at least, make sure you have a receipt/ work order for the work though.

We have all the paper work. We'll give the dealer till Tuesday, then I'll have Alex call MB.

We have all the paper work. We'll give the dealer till Tuesday, then I'll have Alex call MB.

Thought I'd give an update. Asked again when we could expect a refund, was told it was sent to Smart Canada and was "in the works". After waiting anther week and a half, my wife called Smart, they took her info then just passed her back to Overseas Motors in Windsor. When she got their service dealer on the phone, he said he hadn't yet had time to send in the paperwork! He said it could take up to two months for a decision. Alex told the service guy that the latch needs to be done again, and the other latch is even worse. He said we'd forfeit the reimbursement if he does the same latch again!! Don't think that's at all right. We're calling Transport Canada next.

Let me know how it works out. I had my passenger latch fixed last summer and had to pay for it. It was sticking open and the wouldn't close.I paid for it and wasn't aware there was an issue with the latches.I'll talk the paperwork to TPM & see if Greg can do anything first.

[We got an email from the dealer yesterday that our refund was approved, and to schedule bringing the car back in to replace both latches (the replaced one is also failing). I'll let you know when we get the refund and how it actually turns out.

Latches replaced at MB-Oakville. No scratches on panels. Mentioned that driver's latch had already been replaced in 2010. Advisor said that the expense would be reimbursed by cheque - no further prompting required.

Wow… they did nothing for me at M-B Oakville, and i've had them replace TWO of them before.

Just a quick note that my door latch/handle on the driver said is jammed again. I am taking it back to John @ MB Barrie (Innisfil) even though they already did the recall work on it.I'll keep you updated....

An update. The dealer said we'd need to have the latches replaced before they could send in for the refund. We did that a couple weeks ago, no refund cheque as of yet.

Yeah, both mine are already crap again. I'm 99.9944% certain that the "new" parts are identical to the old.I'm switching to a DuPont industrial dry-film lube with PTFE and silicone, we will see how that works.

My drivers side just started acting up and it is taking a good slam to shut the door. I'm still on the originals at 175k kms. I guess it's time to stop procrastinating and book it in.

June 24: Received a refund cheque for the amount I paid to have the driver's side latch replaced in 2010. I mentioned it at my last service on May 5th when both latches were to be replaced under the recall, and was informed that a refund cheque would be sent by mail.