Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

Saab closing up shop

36 posts in this topic

Saab closing up shop.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Saab has filed for bankruptcy and now plans to go out of business.

Very sad to read the above story, I was hoping the new Saab 92 would have made it to production.

It's a shame, I had a Saab 900 years ago, it was a joy to drive.CANMAN

I do know that the automobile was invented in the last millennium, but I don't think it was 900 years ago. :blink:

That's too funny, I recently looked at some in Sherbrooke, one of the first dealers to open after being sold by GM. They had a retail of $50000 on the 9-3 wagon with awd. That buys any number of competitors cars or SUV's like BMW, Mercedes Audi VW not mention domestic plus a whack of change. They now have a 15k discount on remaining stock, still overpriced! I could not understand their pricing, it was way out there for a company just getting underway. Too bad GM got in the way of the sale to the Chinese. Its not like they are good at copying anyways...

I would take a GM designed Saab Sportcombi XWD over a similar Merc ?? or Audi A4. Does Merc even have anything that is comparable?

I don't know if they sell their E wagon here anymore but they used to have them with the CDI and 4WD. Saabs were always depreciation kings.

Saab suspends warranty on North American Cars

Source: Automotive News link to source

DETROIT -- Saab has suspended warranty coverage on all of its vehicles in North America.

Additionally, new vehicles must be sold "as is," the bankrupt Swedish automaker told its dealers.

However, General Motors, Saab's former owner, said today it would honor warranties on all models sold when it owned the Swedish automaker.

The suspension took place on Monday, the same day a Swedish court approved the automaker's bankruptcy petition to liquidate and begin paying creditors. Two receivers were appointed to oversee Saab's assets.

Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet," Saab Cars North America said in a statement provided to Automotive News.

"For any vehicle sold or leased during this period, the customer should be affirmatively advised that the vehicle does not carry any warranty coverage and is sold 'as is.' "

Saab Cars North America also said it has suspended the processing and payment of all claims, including but not limited to:

• New-car warranties

• Powertrain warranties

• Emission warranties

• Parts warranty

• Safety belts, airbags

• Towing

• Recalls and campaigns

• Certified pre-owned coverage

• Goodwill

• No charge maintenance

"Saab owners should be advised to keep receipts of all related warranty work done or services performed until further notice," Saab Cars North America said.

All new 2011 Saab models were last covered by a 4-year, 50,000-mile warranty that included roadside assistance, and no charge scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles.

GM, which took control of Saab in 1989, handled Saab sales and covered Saab warranties through Feb 2010.

Since then, Saab has been owned by Dutch-based Swedish Automobile AB, formerly Spyker Cars, which bought Saab from GM.

"In the event Saab cannot or will not fulfill its obligations to administer the warranty programs with its U.S. and Canadian dealers through Saab Cars North America or otherwise, GM will take necessary steps to ensure that remaining warranty obligations on Saab vehicles marketed by GM in the United States and Canada will be honored," GM spokesman Jim Cain said in a statement.

All of the Saab models marketed by GM were 2009 models or older, save for a handful of 2010 models sold in Canada, Cain said.

Bernie Moreno, dealer principal of Saab of North Olmstead, Ohio, said dealers are waiting to learn if Saab will reimburse them in the future.

"All of that is being resolved in the next few days," Moreno said. "As a dealer, today I am planning for the worst." Going forward, he said, "We will assume that we won't be receiving reimbursement."

Saab spokeswoman Michele Tinson said Saab has less than 3,000 light vehicles in U.S. inventory. Automotive News put the Saab U.S. inventory figure at 2,400 on Dec. 1.

The automaker's U.S. sales have climbed 22 percent this year to 5,340 units through November, compared with a year ago, in an overall market that has advanced 10 percent. U.S. sales peaked in 1986 at 48,181 units.

You can reach Rick Kranz at rkranz@crain.com.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20111220/O...0#ixzz1h6u0TWxp

Wow, I did not know you could sell a new vehicle without the 10 year clause for parts/service and a warranty!!! Times are changing I guess.The Saab 9-3X sport combi is smaller then a Passat wagon yet more expensive and has about half the options. A Mercedes C class can have 4matic and again much better options for the same money, Audi A4 Avant the same story. I just found it had NOTHING going to it, transverse engine layout, HUGE retail price, few features and a slip then grip awd not a true awd like the germans. Just my experience, I liked the saabs of old when they were longitudinal layout.

Default drive is 100% front, those are completely inferior systems because the car loses traction by definition before they become 4WD. Meanwhile the car is in a slide or skidding. A good one has a more balanced default split, based generally upon weight distribution. Somwhere between 50-50 and 35-65. Most "AWD" systems are this way.

Max is 96% front for economy, all 4 wheels are always engaged.

XWD

Edited by Huronlad

So the default is 96% front? Terrible if that's what it is.Drive one of these things hard in the snow and you will have a handful and quickly wish you were driving at half the speed limit. I've driven enough vehicles with these systems on compact snow and ice to know how truly awful they are if pressing on. The Lada Niva 4x4 my dad used to have was perfect, in contrast, just lock the centre diff in snow and there was no stopping it. Non-Haldex Audis are ideal due to their Torsen diff.

And all the finance was private (not thru Saab) so if you have payments on one.... too bad.....No surprises.

I srtill like Saab, never owned one, maybe never will.

The prices here:

http://www.springmans.com/inventory.aspx?newused=n

Seem okay, if they had warranty coverage and parts support.

But imagine owing one of these with not even parts support..... where wil you get parts for a car in production for a year..... that's not for the faint of heart.

Those prices are WAY too high, the asking prices should be less than half of MSRP. When Peugeot quit this market in 1991 - and warranty, parts and service support remained in North America for over 18 years after that - they were selling out their last 405s at 40% off MSRP.

Oh yeah, those prices will come tumbling.... Just saying those were the old prices from a week or more ago..... and they seemed okay for a car that would have been under warranty for about as long as it took to drive off the lot....$19k for a 9-3 2.0T anyone?

Drive one of these things hard in the snow and you will have a handful and quickly wish you were driving at half the speed limit.

I have a very hard time believing that this system for a Swedish car could be as bad as you think. I don't think Saab has ever been known to be a poor performer in snow.Found this article talking up the Haldex 4.0 system.

I think Erik Carlsson's FWD SAAB 850 Monte Carlo was probably faster in the snow....the Haldex systems are good if you drive like granny at half the speed limit, they do give more traction (eventually) but the transition from default drive to a more balanced torque split is extremely annoying and occasionally dangerous."Designed for fuel economy" means that the rear drivetrain is weak and not designed for regular use; the imbalance that this and the resultant default drive apportionment makes the car's slippery road comportment during torque transitions to the rear axle not fun to deal with. The Honda CRX is the same, as is the VW Synchro.....one that I drove the most often was even worse: a Ford Explorer with a Haldex "AWD Auto", the default was close to 100% RWD, and the vehicle was literally in a power silde before the torque would be transferred via the viscous coupling to the front, meanwhile you were correcting some major fishtailing. At least with the front wheels being driven most of the time, the SAAB and Honda would be understeering instead of oversteering when the Haldex kicks in. You have to make immediate, frequent steering corrections if in a turn when the torque shifts.Try some in snowstorms, then drive a high end Audi like an A6. For a foretaste of it, drive a Mazdaspeed 3 on a dry road and notice the steering effects when the LSD kicks in, this is a foretaste of a Haldex.

Mike, what is the newest version of a Haldex system you have personally driven?From the articles I have read I get the impression that the dangerous hydraulic delay issues you are referring to do not occur with the 4.0 system. Hydraulic pressure does not have to be built up for the system to work, it should be all but instantaneous. The eLSD works in the same fashion, I suspect it works much better than the LSD of olden times.

It's not the delay per se that is dangerous but rather the transfer of drive fo the opposite axle where the default drive is close to 100% on one axle that can be dangerous. This destabilises the car, requiring steering corrections (and in a FWD biased system the car is already understeering severely at that time, by definition). The delay in the centre diff is not at issue in what I am describing, although earlier intervention would be better.

The late nineties Ford Explorer with "Automatic AWD" is the newest Haldex type system I have driven extensively in full winter conditions. I've driven newer ones but not on compact snow or ice.

The point is that if you have a 4WD with a front-rear torque split that is much more even, the car can be driven fast in bad conditions safely. I used to run rings around the Haldex-equipped Volvo Cross-Country cars in the West Kootenays in my FWD Peugeot 405 with 4 snow tires. The reason was that it was an inherently well balanced, slightly oversteering, chassis and the cornering behaviour would not be upset mid-corner by electronic nannies.

If one is not a keen driver, none of this will matter.