Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huronlad

Saab closing up shop

36 posts in this topic

Slip then grip means you encounter lots of HOLY SH** moments if your exploring the limits of adhesion, just as mike t said. You pretty much some it up by looking at the engine, if it lays transverse it is not likely a true awd. If its longitudinal there is hope...I have owned many Audis with torsen and pre torsen diffs, simply magic. So predictable and unstoppable, even out on lakes with two feet of snow. Of course they were all manual trans without any electronic intervention. All modern cars now take the fun away when slipage is detected no matter what the system, hopefully there is an |"off" button! But the true all wheel drives don't need much intervention as they rarely loose grip. There is nothing more surprising then a vehicle moving its power around as your trying to control it with steering angle...I think the worst case I have driving was a 2001 Subaru legacy automatic, never figured out if it was going to understeer or oversteer, it always did something different!

For how long, though....it's an exceptionally old platform too.

If this wiki article is correct, Saab owns the PheoniX platform.

Wow! This concept car sure looks like what would sell today.

From what I read SAAB does own the platform ( not the one the 95 was built on BTW) but wants ( or needs) to replace the 20% of the parts that are GM sourced. I also read it is really just a development of the old 93 platform. In any case depending on what those parts are, it may actually be impossible to do properly. Oh they also did not get the rights to the SAAB griffin badge just the name, so the cars will get a " simpler " badge.

I had a Saab 9-3 Aero before the smart.

Posted Image

It was a very nice car to drive. Very comfortable and probably the best highway car I've ever had. But it was very thirsty with the turbo V6 and it had reliability issues. Saab owners call them quirks. :rolleyes:

I offed it when I heard they were going out of business. I didn't want to have to rely on the aftermarket to start making parts for a car that never sold all that well to begin with.

Edited by WudzRydr

Wow, I missed this story entirely.......I have never owned a Saab, but would love to perhaps...... if there's support to be had. I suppose a legacy model will have the aftermarket support like anything else, maybe I should start there......Actually, I should just get a Saabaru!!!