Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krainzracing

Need Help 2006 CDI will not start

13 posts in this topic

2006 0.8L Passion Diesel Engine gone bad, knock noise. R&R engine with used 84000km motor. New Engine cranks over but doesnt start, fuel pump runs,lots of fuel to the injector pump but no fuel coming out to the injectors. Double checked all the wiring but cant see what went wrong. Any idea what the problem may be? Any repair manuals around? Not sure what volt reading I should be getting from the sendors. Crank sensor must be operational tack reading when cranking. Shut down relay? Need a manual or some one who knows what to test for. Any info would be helpful!! :angry:

Did you use your original ECU or one that came with the engine?AFAIK the SAM and ECU are mated together.CANMAN

Or you could try contacting Uncle Glenn (smart142). Try sending him a PM. He has a shop in London. Click on the underlined "Uncle Glenn" and then click "send message" under his picture.

Make sure alternator is not seized as that is the most common cause for engine not starting.

Did you use your original ECU or one that came with the engine?AFAIK the SAM and ECU are mated together.CANMAN

\Just replaced engine alone and its wiring harness so basicly just the mechanical parts the ECU and SAm are all the original so there should be no conflicks, just replacing mechanical parts.

Make sure alternator is not seized as that is the most common cause for engine not starting.

Old engine started and ran just knocking , put used engine in Identical engine and now it cranks over but doesnt fire must have a small problem some where, fuel shut down system. Not sure how a normal smart diesel shuts off when the key is turned off.

Or you could try contacting Uncle Glenn (smart142). Try sending him a PM. He has a shop in London. Click on the underlined "Uncle Glenn" and then click "send message" under his picture.

Thanks I sent Glen a message with all the details, we will see what I can come up with. Has to be something simple that I missed because old engine ran, may be a missed wire or defective sensors and or actuators that came with the used engine( injector pump shut down)?

Old engine started and ran just knocking , put used engine in Identical engine and now it cranks over but doesnt fire must have a small problem some where, fuel shut down system. Not sure how a normal smart diesel shuts off when the key is turned off.

Turning off ignition cuts power to ECU so rail pressure regulator is dis-energised resulting in too low rail pressure to fire, also injectors will no longer inject fuel.

Someone ought to write a guide to fault finding no start problems with these engines.

Suggest you check electrical connection to TDC sensor and rail pressure regulator. Rail pressure sensor is less important as engine will start with it disconnected.

Check low fuel pressure supply - around 2.5 bar.

Check cylinder compression. Engine may not synchronize if compression is low on cylinder 1. This engine does not have any cam shaft position sensor and synchronisation is achieved by monitoring changes in angular velocity (i.e. angular acceleration) of flywheel.

Glow plugs are less important as long as not too cold.

Crank engine by hand to confirm alternator is not seized.

Edited by tolsen

Perhaps there is something wrong with the wiring harness that came with the engine?Can you put the wiring harness from the old engine on?CANMAN

did you happen to prime the fuel system after the motor change. diesels dont like air in the lines.

2006 0.8L Passion Diesel ... Engine cranks over but doesnt start, fuel pump runs,lots of fuel to the injector pump but no fuel coming out to the injectors. .... Crank sensor must be operational tack reading when cranking....

Perhaps a good thing engine has not started yet. Contamination of fuel system can easily render high pressure pump and injectors totally useless. Flush pump by opening a union on pipe from high pressure pump to rail. Flush by cycling ignition. Flow and pressure out of pipe should be considerable so you need to duct pipe to a tank via a temporary hose.Reconnect union. Disconnect connector to rail pressure regulator on left hand side of rail. Rail pressure regulator also works as pressure relief valve. Rail pressure when cranking and connector to rail pressure regulator disconnected should be 40 - 100 bar. This means it is safe to measure gauge pressure in common rail with connector to rail pressure regulator disconnected. WARNING: Never use pressure gauge to measure rail pressure unless rail pressure regulator is disconnected. Pressure is very high and will damage a standard diesel test gauge.Cranking engine flushes and cleans rail and rail pressure regulator.The fact that RPM gauge indicates when cranking means TDC sensor is operational but is no confirmation that engine has synchronized. Poor compression on no 1 cylinder may cause engine not to synchronize. Try injecting some WD40 into inlet duct. The small amount of oil may be sufficient to restore compression sufficiently such that engine will synchronize and start. Edited by tolsen

I know this sounds dumb but....last night our car would crank but not start. It was scary, we were about to call CAA. Then I hit the unlock button and tried and it fired up.The "key" was not lit up in the gear indicator, and the car cranked, so I didn't think imbobiliser...but all I can do is guess that's what it was.Maybe try that? and make sure the injectors are plugged in the right order?