Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crisqo

My List of things "to-do" ...

7 posts in this topic

Bought a used Smart 450 recently, just looking to get some maintenance \ mods out of the way...Here's my list so far, anything I should look into on top of these?- Oil & filter change- Change air filter- Change cabin filter- front left & right lower ball joints\tie rod (expensive from dealership $170\side, does that sound right?)Accessories\mods:- Driver side visor mirror add-on (should have come with it from factory)- lowering springs (leaning towards H&R) - or checking into Brabus suspension kit (depending on price)- install HID headlights- Getting dealer to price me on Brabus body parts (front lip, skirts, rear valence)Anything else I should consider?Thxbtw: got an OEM bike rack for sale as well

Edited by Crisqo

Ball joints can be bought for less off of eBay.There is good reason there is no vanity mirror on the driver's side.

i take it your in toronto. if so check germanparts.ca they are in rexdale an carrys ball joints for about 1/2 the price of the dealer

Thanks, I'll take a look at the site for better pricing...Should I be changing the Glow Plugs, as a precaution?belts?97xxx km on the vehicle.

The outer tie rod ends and the lower ball joints are all the same part.When you order either one from the dealer, you get two joints in the box, PLUS all the nuts and bolts required to replace either one. This includes the large wheel bearing bolt and cap which should be replaced when replacing the ball joint as the wheel bearing requires removal.Also add:-new belts-fuel filter

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Change coolant and brake fluid too.I got a pair of balljoint kits from the dealer (Three Point Motors Victoria) for under $100 with tax, so if the parts are all the same, about $200 should pay for all the parts.When I bought my BRABUS suspension kit in the fall, I was told there were three left worldwide. They may be sold out by now.Also, check brake pads, inspect the wiring for chafing at the intercooler area, check the hoses in the engine compartment for chafing, lubricate the clutch actuator, check that the windshield is watertight at the base.

Change coolant and brake fluid too.I got a pair of balljoint kits from the dealer (Three Point Motors Victoria) for under $100 with tax, so if the parts are all the same, about $200 should pay for all the parts.When I bought my BRABUS suspension kit in the fall, I was told there were three left worldwide. They may be sold out by now.Also, check brake pads, inspect the wiring for chafing at the intercooler area, check the hoses in the engine compartment for chafing, lubricate the clutch actuator, check that the windshield is watertight at the base.

Yup, no more Brabus suspension available...