Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

Useless in extreme cold

22 posts in this topic

Is this 451 going to be a frozen sack of crap this winter?It'll be -45 celsius with wind chill for a few days now in Prince GeorgeMagnetic oil pan heater is a waste of time - won't stay on the oil panThere's no block heater optionWTF smart? If my car needs towing this week, I am going to be so pissed.

Get a stick-on pan heater. Pretty sure even Canadian Tire carries something. Warm the engine a little (but not hot-hot) before installing to help the edge-sealing "Aluminum" RTV cure faster. Take the time to do a good job of sanding too.

Here you go: LINKY

B :sun:

WOW!! -45 is cold :cold: is the battery strong enough to turn it over?

The wind chill doesn't factor into the temp at which a car is "disabled"(except for freezing your washer fluid on the windscreen or the coolant in your rad while driving, ambiant temp is what you need worry about for starting. Your battery is protected from the wind so it will only be as cold as the air inside your car (-31 this morning) still pretty damn cold.P.S. I hand washed Bessy in our driveway lastnight around 5pm in my hoodie and jeans, it was about 4 degrees (I wanted the salt off before the rain came). We probably haven't been below 0 for a total of 48 hours yet this winter.

Wind chill does not affect the temperature an object will be once it sits long enough to reach ambient, it will be the air temperature no matter what the wind is. It only applies to how fast a warm object cools off, it will reach that temperature faster if there is a wind. The wind chill factor weather forecasters use is an arbitrary scale meant to show how cold it feels to a typical human in normal clothes. That -45 figure they are using really only means "It's cold out there, and if you can't get outta the wind it's freakin' cold".The 451 still has to be better than the CDI...

When we lived in Quebec, we used to ski most weekends. Always starting problems and many of us did not have block heaters. One quick solution, was to put a trouble light with 100W bulb low down in the engine compartment. This might also work on teh smart until weather is suitable for a stick-on sump heater?

Well, we'll find out soon enough.... It has fresh Castrol 0w30 synthetic in it at least...But this can't be good for a car. We've long lamented how the cdi's get killed in harsh climates.Yeah, it's about -31 or so ambient. Also note TPM upgraded the battery to 540 amp.

In that weather, you should only drive cars that you don't like. No transit service there?

In that weather, you should only drive cars that you don't like. No transit service there?

No bus from West Lake Provincial park, no. Remember, I have taken a martyr's job up here to save the world so Harper can go full speed ahead...The car hesitated, but started on the first attempt. Saving grace with the 451 is it does warm up pretty normally, and of course way faster than a 450 cdi.I'm not into installing something under the oil pan permanently... but I will figure out a way to utilize the 300 watt heater I have... getting that oil flowing quicker will surely be good.I hate every car I drive. ;)(Maybe that is why I never keep them. Anyone for a 450 canada1?)

Quick, inexpensive, non-permanent solution? See if you can find a dipstick immersion heater from local autoparts shop... though, depending on the length of the handle, you may be forced to leave the engine cover loose.

Posted Image

:sun:

You can always strap your existing heater to the oil pan, just get some cheap metal strapping and remove two oil pan bolts to install it, they are not heavy and highly unlikely to go anywhere once secured. Be sure you route the power cord with enough slack and away from anything moving/chaffing.

I've considered a dipstick heater. Except it mean moving everything in the back every time night and day.Another possibility is an inline heater on a coolant hose, but I am wary of that option for whatever reason, not sure I can enough circulation. I am not going to spend $1000 on some Webasto unit either.Could I not have someone solder on thin steel plate of sorts that will hold the magnetic heater in place? Despite the 3 to 4 inches extra clearance with the lift kit and tires, I am also reluctant to make a low point on the car even lower by attaching a permanent heater.I just need the oil to be warmer and flow when that -35 engine fires. Even 0w30 is like molasses at that temperature. I have a half bottle leftover - I checked it!I can only imagine the struggles cdi owners have faced over the years.

Get a stick-on pan heater. Pretty sure even Canadian Tire carries something. Warm the engine a little (but not hot-hot) before installing to help the edge-sealing "Aluminum" RTV cure faster. Take the time to do a good job of sanding too.

+1 on the stick-on oil pan heater. I have one on my 450 and it works just fine TYVM. It is about the size and thickness of a credit card. Obviously not the one that CTC has but those should work just as well. I got mine from Uncle Glenn. When properly installed (about 30 minutes including all routing of wires) it should stay on with no chance of falling off.

Add a small electric cabin heater (Little Buddy or something similar) and that will keep your battery operating at optimum temperatures at start-up. I have both heaters on a timer and hooked up to the smart along with a ceramic heater for my vintage bikes in my trailer to keep the humidity in check. All of this is running on a 15 amp circuit breaker with no trouble.

My personal top preference is the lower rad' hose circulating heater :thumbup: Not only warms the block but you get "instant" cabin heat when setting off in the morning.

PS winter seems to have arrived in Kelowna - I'll have to start plugging in the wee smartie!

We have a CDI with a Block Heater. We have a ceramic heater in the cabin. The coldest we've gotten is -10 ambient. It gets plugged in an hour before driving.

When we lived in Quebec, we used to ski most weekends. Always starting problems and many of us did not have block heaters. One quick solution, was to put a trouble light with 100W bulb low down in the engine compartment. This might also work on teh smart until weather is suitable for a stick-on sump heater?

On a 450, you can turn off the DRL.

One advantage again of the 451, is that you can actually turn the blower down from max and conserve some juice... you actually get heat quite quick.I am heading back to the mainland tomorrow... one more night of this excessive cold. -37 ambient roughly expected.... I have to be careful about the coolant now.... too late to swap it our for 60/40 until I get fasteddy to do it next week.

Just got back in the house from plugging in my 05cdi. MAN that's cold! :cold: Minus 17C heading for ~ -20 tonight. Fortunately, we're expecting it back in the +C by Saturday. In any case, the smartie will be happy with the stick-on oil warmer on all night tonight. It was definitely NOT happy this afternoon when I went shopping.

The complex I live in has all outdoor parking but between each two stalls there is a duplex receptacle box.

Edited by bilgladstone

Minus 6.5 here right now.....the most important cars are in garage at plus 8. Merc sits outside.....

It is minus 29c where I'm at today. The 451 complained but still started first try. If you do dare to start your wee smarty in this weather take it for a LONG drive after to charge the battery. A couple short trips would probably leave to stranded in no time as you run the battery down. Chris

One advantage again of the 451, is that you can actually turn the blower down from max and conserve some juice... you actually get heat quite quick.I am heading back to the mainland tomorrow... one more night of this excessive cold. -37 ambient roughly expected.... I have to be careful about the coolant now.... too late to swap it our for 60/40 until I get fasteddy to do it next week.

Eddy's out of town until the 25th...