Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

DIY Panel Painting

19 posts in this topic

I've always wanted a hand painted camoflauge smart....How to prep and paint the panels is the question....Not much info out thereWant a DIY solution, not a wrap

LOL! You could probably just paint over what's there now, after some sanding, taking care with some of the nooks and crannies, to get good adhesion!

There's some good camo patterns out there. The idea is to get the base colour on first on all pieces, then apply the other 2-3 colours after.What would be the best/easiest way to sand as a DIY project?

I painted the hood of my former Renault 12 flat black, it was easy. Clean any waxes off first, light sanding and spray.

sand the car down an take it to a high school for a paint project. give them cans of paint an let them have a go at it.

I am serious about camo painting the car. Sanding and preparing it for paint is what I'm most concerned about. I am going to spray bomb it after that!

Interesting links, but neither are where I'm at.This is a late spring project (June perhaps?), so I'm going to take my time to determine the best way to proceed.My thoughts are:strip the car of all panelssandprimebase coat then apply the camo patternI actually had a guy do camo for me before on a series of geocaching containers... the camo was great, the prep of the surface was the issue.

You might get some tips from your local gun club or hunting groups. Likely some of their members have done their vehicles in camo.

Oh yeah, that'd be the first place I visit! Actually, my dad hunts, I should ask him. Nothing wrong with hunting mind you, but oops, politcal discussion brewing. Close your eyes!! Moose sausage is the best!!I'm sure an hour on google will help on this one.I just want to make sure the paint stays on the car, and not flake off.

If you lightly sand every nook and cranny, ensure all of the panels are meticulously clean (all painted parts, not just the visible ones) and then use a self-etching plastic primer (??) it should adhere until the end of the universe.....

Here's a few photos:

This one is apparently a wrap:

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?boar...amp;thread=2700

Numerous ideas here, though I should probably just get yellow panels or trade my canada1 to an owner on the island with a set on their 451!

https://www.google.com/search?q=camouflage+...396&bih=650

More wrap options:

http://www.smartusa.com/smartexpressions/config.aspx

Another wrap:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f5...mouflage-37572/

Hahaha! Comical that my "wee smartie" appears on the images page for smart camo :)

If you're looking for advice on how to prep and paint the panels, you should be wet sanding them with an 800 grit sandpaper(if they're lightly stone-chipped or scratched, start with a 600 grit then work to the 800).If you're going to use a spray gun (recommended) you can purchase a small tin of a special additive thathelps paint adhere to flexible body parts. I can't remember the exact name but the one I'm familiar with is an ICI product.This can be added to the primer and the paint and the tin will advise you on the ratios. If you're using a spray can you will probably have some difficulty finding flexible paint in the specific colours your looking for. In this case you should at least use a flexible primer from a can which can be found at most paint (autobody) supply shops.For the Camo, try locating a local hobby shop that specializes in military scale models. You'd be surprised at how many of them existand you can find specific patterns from different eras and countries and purchase very small quantities of real camo colours and test themon paper or card-board.Good Luck! It sounds like it'll be awesome!I'm picturing a sand or desert camo combination.**EDIT**I should also add, you really should only prime the areas where any bodywork or heavy sanding has occurred, otherwiseyou should paint right over the existing colour. The only reason I initially considered priming all the surfaces was so thatyou could use a flexible resistant product. If you can buy a can of paint and add the flexibility product to that it wouldprobably be your best and safest route.

Edited by Cacarella

These guys have a whole series on how too videos. Well worth checking out from the people that make the stuff...Gord

Great reference URL. GordoThanks :santa:

Great reference URL. GordoThanks :santa:

hate to revive such and old thread but the best way is plasti dip