Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart sales in Canada

26 posts in this topic

87 new smarts were sold in Canada during January 2012. It's slightly up on last year.

smart sold 74 new cars in Canada in February 2012.

Hmm.... now there's Scion in general to nab sales, and a refreshed Hyundai/Kia fleet that looks current...

Ironically the US sales were better per capita than Canadian ones last month. Are the Canadian dealers trying hard enough? I'm not sure the local one is. That was formerly not a problem.

Jan 2012: 87

Feb 2012: 74

Mar 2012: 78

The Americans are well ahead of Canada, per capita! Wow, does smart ever need a kick-start up in Canada.

Wonder what kick started it in the southland? Are Americans more strongly motivated by rising gas prices? We've had record increases lately.

I don't know, even our local dealer seems to not be too motivated to sell smarts at the moment. The US results are fantastic!

154 smarts were sold in Canada in April 2012, 40% less than a year earlier.

I wonder whether Mercedes dealers are sitting on their hands waiting for this new, improved collaborative smart that is supposedly in the pipeline? Certainly the Canadian experience with the current models (since 2005) - as far as profitability and after-sales - has not been a strong motivating factor.I think if I were they, I might just "coast" until the new partnership gets ironed out and wave goodbye as the marque moves into Nissan dealerships (or wherever).

Nissan Canada's dealings with defective cars has been questionable in the past, might be no better than staying with M-B/smart.Nissan US fixed the defective 2.5L engines in the Sentra SE-R cars, Canadians were not so lucky.

@Huronlad: no better for us maybe... point is, the MB dealerships can wash their hands.

I think it's not all that simple, alas....Take the Vancouver Island market. About 850 diesel smarts are here and probably about the same number of 451s. The dealer is clearly not too interested in pushing hard to sell a lot more at the moment because it is their conventional wisdom that the local market is saturated. They may be right, who knows better than the people hawking the cars? TPM has always been at the forefront of smart in Canada and if this is where they're at, well who are we to say it's laziness, or indifference?This island has about 750,000 people on it and if there is one car for every two people here, that means smart has about 0.5% of the total share of vehicles on the road....that's quite high, some would argue, for a niche car.Anyway, the local dealer seems to be attaching an undue amount of hope to sales prospects for the upcoming ED model. There will be a buzz for sure at first, but not too much will happen after that. I have driven an electric car quite a bit now and they're not too useful to be brutally honest, in many applications.I think what is needed is:1. more models (a roadster, a 4 seater)2. more powertrains (a turbo gasser, a diesel, the mhd, the ED)I guess that the Merc dealers have it too easy right now: for some inexplicable (to me) reason, the Mercs seem to sell themselves and sales records are set nearly every month. The low hanging fruit is not in the smart showroom at the moment (actually TPM has a B Class in the smart showroom at this moment!).

Canada smart sales 2012:

Jan: 87

Feb: 74

Mar: 78

Apr: 154

May: 323

That's more like it!! Though, some could be Car2go cars delivered to Calgary.

And an interesting side note is: Mercedes sales are down 6.2% in May 2012, from a year earlier.

car2go for sure will be some of the volume - between Calgary and Vancouver in the last year they muist have acquired 500+ cars

Canada smart sales 2012:

June: 241

Canada smart sales 2012:

July: 239

Canada smart sales 2012:

Aug: 286

Canada smart sales 2012:

Sept: 386

Canada smart sales 2012:

Oct: 167

Canada smart sales 2012:

Oct: 167

Nov: 152

It's more than double the iQ's total of 78.Yaris? That's not a smart competitor!