Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
garbet

New to this site

7 posts in this topic

Good evening. We're new to this site, living in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, north of Port Huron, Mi. Our first smart car was a new 2005 Black Cabriolet Pure (diesel). Then we purchased a new 2011 Smart fortwo Cabriolet Passion. It's sure nice having cruise, i'm use to that feature since it's on all of our vehicles.Looking forward to using my trailer when we go out of the area so I can bring my scooter along to use getting around site seeing. Lots of info on this site to read up on.Gary

Welcome! There are monthly meetings in and around the London area, for the London area owners.

Welcome to the site. There are events coming up in the near future, one of them, just across the border in your area. See this thread for more information. Hubby and I are going to it and we are coming from the London area. Maybe we'll see you.

Dot :barbie:

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I wouldn’t have joined if it hadn’t been for an old friend that dropped in on me the other day. I must say I was surprised the vehicle he had to show me was a tiny Smart Car and not the 500 cubic inch V8 I last remembered. Rick had forgotten my field of expertise but he did remember was that I have a good sized CNC Lathe I enjoy as a hobby.He explained there was no bumpers on the Smart Car and showed me a tow hook that had only 2-1/2 – 3 threads of poor form. It was difficult to measure with so few threads but a lucky measurement put it at 8 threads per inch. The thread shape looked forged or cast but definitely not turned. I am still surprised to believe the vehicle can be towed from that one hook with only ½” of threads engaged.So you may guess the next request Rick made. He wanted me to make him a set of special bolts so he could fasten a two row steel tube bumper. He drove off and came back 2 days later to fetch his prize.The machinery handbook describes accurately each acme thread in each class. Naturally the smart car’s insert didn’t adhere to any of them and so none of the 4 bolts I made him fit. Too tight. He liked the bright nickel plating though.It became a game of turning a few samples to arrive at a good strong fit and in the end he went away happy.To my surprise he could only use 3 of the four bolts as I understand there is only one in the front.I’m trying to figure a practical & simple solution for the average car owner to install a second front threaded insert so a bumper could be added. That's what I do.When I come up with something I’ll be happy to share.Thanks,Jack Alan

Hi Jack, there is a second threaded hole on the driver's side, but you would have to drill through the panel to access it.

Good evening. We're new to this site, living in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, north of Port Huron, Mi. Our first smart car was a new 2005 Black Cabriolet Pure (diesel). Then we purchased a new 2011 Smart fortwo Cabriolet Passion. It's sure nice having cruise, i'm use to that feature since it's on all of our vehicles.Looking forward to using my trailer when we go out of the area so I can bring my scooter along to use getting around site seeing. Lots of info on this site to read up on.Gary

Welcome Gary.You will love this site with all the great people sharing thought and info common to all of us. Enjoy your new Passion.Sparky