Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Nice camping kit

16 posts in this topic

I was playing with the Rooftop tent idea for some time already... Mounting in on a trailer would be sweet! But complicate things more then they are worth in my opinion....(where to park that trailer when not in use, tricky to store "dry" to prevent rotting, where to put your shoes or wet rain gear...) Just the price for the tent alone would buy you a top notch ground tent and then some more! Mounting it on a roofrack will also raise your center of gravity by quite a bit (talking about a SUV mount). But then again, mounting it on a trailer to pull behind a Smart would be a cool set up.

In any case, dreaming....: http://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com/index.html or in case I even win the lottery....

I just bought a Mazda MPV that I'm converting into a simple camper with storage and permanent bed for all together at $2000.

Cheers

Andreas

post-9361-1329595398_thumb.jpg

You could also get a "westfalia" on the cheap :-) Mine came to around $6000 compare to $15000 for a original

I bought a VW Eurovan Transporter and converted it into a camper a couple of years ago...

Sad to say, I am past the camping phase of life; we did it on air matresses in Drumheller 18 months ago in our expedition tent and "the thrill is gone".....maybe we felt that way because we had just been at the Banff Springs for three days before that. Anyhow. This fall we'll be going back......to Banff Springs ;)

I am still seeking a "shoestring" solution for camping/traveling. This economical smart cdi does give me wonderful range and freedom far beyond what I would otherwise have, but extended journeys' accomodation costs pretty much defeat me.My sleeping-on-the-ground days are over too, but unfortunately so are the days when I could afford anything more than campground rates for overnighting.B :sun:

deleted

Sorry, that was a petulant reply.

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

You can count on many of the members here for accommodation, Bil, us included. I just don't find camping to be comfortable.

I am interested in this trailer:http://www.lovebugrv.com/They seem to just be available in Alberta, but it looks like a nice way to hit the road:)

But I would think a tad heavy for the smart. From what I gather they start at 940 pounds dry. We are concerned how our time out trailer will tow behind our CDI. It is about 350 pounds. It will probably be close to 475 loaded. We don't intend to do long trips but will be able to haul a kayak into local lakes etc. at least that's the plan. Time will tell.

Not a trailer, just a snug, inexpensive camping solution so you don't have to sleep on the ground.

The Cabin Cot:

Posted Image

SOURCE

Bil :senile:

I would not sleep there, unless I wanted to go for a swim if the wind came up!

Looks like it's guyed and nailed down with pitons into the lava (Kona Hawaii)But I hear ya. I can think of more conducive locales. It's also marketed as survival gear, with 1500 or more sold to troops in the Middle East.B :sun:

The troops in the middle east have to buy their own tents? Another reason not to be a grunt.

The troops in the middle east have to buy their own tents? Another reason not to be a grunt.

I guess they must be allowed to buy stuff to use instead of, or in addition to, standard issue? :dunno:70 Denier rip-stop wouldn't be good enough for me. I'd want Kevlar!B :sun: