Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KKSMART05

450 Best Summer Tires

15 posts in this topic

I will be in the market to purchase new rubber for the summer. I can see that I have a good season left but from my motorcycle days I have come to respect good rubber. That being said ... I would like your opinion on the best summer tires you would recommend for the 450.

Thank you

:santa:

The last 3 summers I have run Hankook Ventus on the 450 but I am unsure if they are still available. I am not overly impressed with the Kuhmo tires on my 451.If Hankook does not come out with a good replacement I will likely upgrade wheels and switch to Yokohama tires on both my cars.

@Huronlad, What do you think of the following tires?BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Yokohama S.driveDunlop Direzza DZ101

The last 3 summers I have run Hankook Ventus on the 450 but I am unsure if they are still available. I am not overly impressed with the Kuhmo tires on my 451.If Hankook does not come out with a good replacement I will likely upgrade wheels and switch to Yokohama tires on both my cars.

Specs look to be very similar for all three. I have never heard anyone complain about the S-Drive, as for the other two I have heard nothing. The Comp-2 are not yet for sale by the looks of it. A search for comparisons between the three may give more information.

I am also running the superb Ventus V4 ES H105 tires in the shoulder and summer seasons.

But when it's time to replace the summer and winter sets (eight tires and rims!), I hope to change to Vredestein Quatrac3 or even see if I can find and afford the new "green" 4-season Quatrac Lite .

Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am running the Yoko S-Drive on both my summer rims, and my GF's summer rims. Highly recommended. A very good tire for the price.The Direzza are horrible tires. I have NEVER seen a set that were NOT scalloped to hell on the inside edge.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Got Contis on both of my smarts, not the greatest but treadwear is excellent. The front 175s on the green car have nearly 130,000 km and have still 4-5 mm of tread. The rears in 195 lasted 80K km on my green car.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am also running the superb Ventus V4 ES H105 tires in the shoulder and summer seasons.

But when it's time to replace the summer and winter sets (eight tires and rims!), I hope to change to Vredestein Quatrac3 or even see if I can find and afford the new "green" 4-season Quatrac Lite .

Bil :sun:

Bil,

Doesn't look like the Quatrac Lite is available in our sizes...

Edited by lebikerboy

Yet... they didn't have our sizes in the first Quatrac when it came out either, and I won't need tires for at least another year - maybe two at this rate if I'm lucky ;)

Kumho SPT Ecsta KU31 Ultra High Performance rubberI run these and like them a lot. Summer tire only!Kerry

I am thinking about buying the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 since I need to replace my two back tires

I am thinking about buying the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 since I need to replace my two back tires

Reviews on the web suggest this is a very interesting tire. I especially like the lateral stiffness component of the inner carcass. And the silica compound should help them last a bit better.We'll be interested in your review if you get these! But it might not be a great idea to just get one pair for the rear... probably will exaggerate the already strong understeer :dunno: Bil :sun:

Thanks for all of the replies. In summary for future referral we have the following recommendatiions

Hanhook Ventus

Kumho SPT Ecsta KU31 Ultra High Performance rubber

Kumho

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2

Yokohama S drive

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Ventus V4 ES H105

Quatrac Lite

Continentals (standard equipment)

:santa:

There is no such thing as the "best" tire. There are so many trade-offs in tire design that what is one persons best tire is a terrible choice for another person with different conditions and driving habits. You have to rank attributes like longevity, dry traction, wet traction, noise, ride, price and so on in order of importance then select your tire. A soft, sticky, low profile, minimally grooved firm sidewall tire may be very nice cornering hard on smooth dry pavement, but is a poor choice for someone with a long commute on poor pavement with a lot of rain.One good rule of thumb, though: The $60 tire isn't very good in any category, not even in value as a better tire (selected for life) will greatly outlast the cheap one!

I have just one summer on my front 145 Contis, but after two summers my second set of 175 Conti rears are bald (the first set were bald ofter two summers but I drove them until the nylon was showing) and I'm thinking of changing brands.