Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John & Angela

Smart trip through Joshua Tree National Park

4 posts in this topic

We made a trip from Palm Springs up through Yucca Valley, through the park, back to I10 at Desert Centre and then back to Palm Springs.

We packed our cooler with our goodies for lunch, stopped by the local Valero where we topped up the little diesel until I could see the diesel in the neck of the fill tube. Altitude was around 60 feet above sea level. Off we went headed for Yucca Valley via I10 and then heading north. The climb starts immediately and this is a fun road to drive. It would have been more fun in a Ferari.

After winding our way through the little towns of Yucca Valley and another one I can't remember we entered the park.

You will notice us wearing sweaters in the pictures as some of the altitudes were as high as 5000 feet.

Posted Image

This is a Joshua tree...hence the name of the park. The stunningly good looking models are there for context.

Posted Image

Neat rock formation. The erosion of the rocks took place while the rocks were underground. Those are people on the rocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You knew there would be some obligatory pictures of our burgermeister right

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mountain range farthest in the background is in the state of Baja California in the country of Mexico.

Posted Image

There are a variety of hiking trails in the park. Along the way some really neat rock formations.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Typical camping.

Posted Image

These things are freakin dangerous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is an Ocotillo ...a little one.

Posted Image

When we got back to Palm Springs we again fueled up until we could see it in the neck again. This time with 2.21 US gallons of diesel. We achieved just over 71 mpg. This number is a little lower than our normal figures for this kind of trip, probably owing to the literally dozens of stops we made and of course the climb. Only about 20 miles was on the interstate and we kept it in the right lane around 57 MPH.

We may return with the RV next year if for nothing else than some of the great hiking.

Our expenses were about 9 bucks for fuel, 15 bucks for the park pass and 3 bucks for coffee.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Edited by John & Angela

Thanks for the pictures, guys. I love that geography and the flora and fauna of the region!Bil :sun:

Very nice! If you see a grey Mazdaspeed with BC plates flash by you at up to 240 km/h, it's my friend's car, he is down there right now.