Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schwalli

Why is my Smart not selling?

11 posts in this topic

This drives me nuts.... I have had my TROUBLE FREE and well cared for '06 Smart up for sell since December and there was not even ONE person coming by to check it out....

Do other have the same problem?

Maybe I'm missing something... please have a look at my ad and see if I'm saying something wrong.. (after all english is not my mother tong)

Cheers,

Andreas

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/...educed_16666873

I think the asking price is on the high end, I suspect that maybe $7K is where someone would bite. Perhaps it's worth keeping, at that price.

Mike, I was wondering.... but with all the extras I'm offering and based on pricing for other Smarts , I thought I'm right on the ball. I don't HAVE to sell but it would be nice to find someone soon as I would like to move on... thx for your response!

Nice car, Schwalli! This pricing issue reminds me yet again that any money you spend on custom options and extras is NOT an investment - it is cash you just won't get back at resale time. But I hope someone comes along for you who appreciates the details!Good luck, cousin.Bil :sun:

Nice car, Schwalli! This pricing issue reminds me yet again that any money you spend on custom options and extras is NOT an investment - it is cash you just won't get back at resale time. But I hope someone comes along for you who appreciates the details!

Bingo. Custom options and extras usually detract from the price if anything.If selling a used car, and nobody is even calling, there can only be one thing wrong. You are asking too much. $9k does seem a lot for a 2006.

Either price or exposure, does that website get the traffic?As for custom stuff, options and accessories, I've a friend who was buying a basic transportation car, (ended up with a Civic) and that was my line, when a car is used options drop the price, not raise it because the buyer has reliability and cost of repairs at the very top of their list.

This drives me nuts.... I have had my TROUBLE FREE and well cared for '06 Smart up for sell since December and there was not even ONE person coming by to check it out.... Do other have the same problem? Maybe I'm missing something... please have a look at my ad and see if I'm saying something wrong.. (after all english is not my mother tong)Cheers,Andreashttp://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/...educed_16666873

First of all for someone whose mother tongue is not English your written English is PERFECT. Anyway, to put the price in context, we picked up a 2006 CDI Cabrio Passion with 17OOO KM for 9000 last year. I would think asking around 7000 and take 6500. Good luck with the sale. Edited by John & Angela

When I sold my 06 pulse I sold for 1500 below market as I wanted to sell it. The CDI Smart car prices have really plummeted over the last 2 years.My opinion is Mercedes in Canada is to blame. When I told people it was serviced by Mercedes many would cringe or laugh at the thought of service costs. I know not all places are bad for Mercedes, but they were a major factor to why I sold mine. Best of luck selling your car!

Edited by tyrant

Yeah when we wanted a quick sale of a Mercedes C 230 K a few years back (2006) we sold immediately at $19K - 4 year old car. The quick sale was more important than squeezing the last $1000 out of it.

This drives me nuts.... I have had my TROUBLE FREE and well cared for '06 Smart up for sell since December and there was not even ONE person coming by to check it out.... Do other have the same problem? Maybe I'm missing something... please have a look at my ad and see if I'm saying something wrong.. (after all english is not my mother tong)Cheers,Andreashttp://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/...educed_16666873

The ad says the car has a 4yr warranty. If that is the case, it would be worth more than other cars on the market. Mileage is also modest, so that should be a plus.We bought our 06 Passion about 18 months ago. Asking price was low for a 43k car at $7900 and it included 1yr of warranty. Sold for $7500. We were happy and so was seller.I would emphasize the strong points = warranty, fuel consumption, low mileage, dealer serviced. You have done this, but maybe keep points shorter and place ads elsewhere. Maybe lower price to $7999!good luck Edited by Graham

You all have some good points! Thank you very much :-) I may go a bit lower.... and sell it without the extended warranty... But it really hurts to lower the price! When I bought it, after everything was done, I peeled out almost $14000.... $2700 just for the extended warranty. Therefore I have a hard time excepting the fact that I may loose that much $$$$$$....