Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waiting

A/c It Works!

63 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 450 diesel and it was hot enough in Winnipeg that I needed to use the A/C. Every year for the last six years when it came this time the A/C blew hot air. Last summer I had the "permanent fix" done for the A/C with the promise that the problem was solved; being the skeptic I had my doubts. But....when I pushed the little button this week, voila, cold air and, colder than I think it has ever been.It looks like it is going to be a hot summer so this is good news.

DO SHARE!!!! What did they do to correct it? I have the same issue 2005 diesel blowing hot air!!! They too assure me that the issue is fixed, like you, i have my doubts seeing how they don't know the difference between a ground cable for the starter and a ground cable for the battery.. :lol:

congratrs! im in winnipeg to but alas mine blew hot air :( so i just dropped the top :P

I have a 2006 450 diesel and it was hot enough in Winnipeg that I needed to use the A/C. Every year for the last six years when it came this time the A/C blew hot air. Last summer I had the "permanent fix" done for the A/C with the promise that the problem was solved; being the skeptic I had my doubts. But....when I pushed the little button this week, voila, cold air and, colder than I think it has ever been.It looks like it is going to be a hot summer so this is good news.

I experienced a similar problem: the first two springs did blow hot air. Fortunately I bought my used Cabrio Passionn 2005 with an extended warranty. The second fix last spring (with modified design for AC tubing) appears to have been the right one. Temperature did reach 33 C last week and AC did blow cool air reliably. :D

Ours work too but then we've not had problems with the green car, other than needing a recharge last spring, for the first time. Glad yours are shaping up!

I have a 2005 Passion that blew hot air every spring. Regular as clockwork I'd bring it in and all the dealer could/would do is check and charge the system. Cool air till the fall, and the same problem in the spring. Last summer the dealer finally got the go ahead from MB to do the "permanent" fix. I turned on the AC a few weeks ago and lo and behold, cold air! What a concept, an AC that doesn't need re-charging every spring. :P

??? "The permanent fix" done for the A/C = "Modified design for AC tubing" ???

My '02 Coupé A/C works perfectly, never been recharged.

My '05 Cabriolét A/C does not work, been recharged 2007 by proffesionals, during former ownership.

Are there differenses in construction between '02:s and '05:s or maybe Coupé and Cabriolét ?

Both uses R 134 A as cooling media.

KfL :huh:

Up to 2011 they were using ac lines that had a ''quick connect'' coupling with an internal ''o'' ring. That would fail allowing the R134a to leak out. Then they would have to replace the whole line.The new lines have a different coupling so that the o ring can be replaced without changing the lines.Last year there were many smarts that had all the lines replaced from the compressor to the front. I beleive they also replaced the condensor and dryer at the front. More that 6 hrs of labour+ parts and there was no charge. :D

Last year about this time, my A/C was 'repaired' with the "permanent fix". I use this car all year and during the winter, turn the A/C on at least once a week for a few minutes to keep things moving. Now that Spring is here and some warmer temperaures have finally arrived, I gave it another try. Guess what? It blows warm air!Dadgummit!

Seriously? Geez I guess the "permanent fix" may not be so permanent. I was hoping I didn't have to worry about mine any more after the "permanent fix", so far it is still blowing cold but I guess we'll see.

Took Bessy to MB Burlington today, to have the A/C checked, appointment at 11:30, got home with her around 4:30 just spent the last hour fixing our key(previous owner broke the fob and super glued it, we had no problems with it for the last 8 months, tech broke it one turn) Cost $66 to get a quote for $2837.31 (6.5 hours) needs A/C lines and Evaporator. A/C blew cold on the way home...I've requested that they call head office on Monday to have this seen to...we are not shelling out $2800.Anyone got tips on how to deal with this? Anything I should/should not say?

That price is about right, the free work done under warranty on my white car, that had dead A/C in 2010 when we picked it up, was in that ballpark.You should just say you would like the problem (I assume it has been frequent? Every year?) repaired without charge, as you are aware of the service bulletin concerning this matter.

A known issue, affecting almost all cars, with a TSB out, that has been "fixed" repeatedly while still in warranty is not a new out-of-warranty problem. It wasn't fixed right! They may not have had the right fix available at the time, but now they do. It should be covered! It had a manufacturing (design) flaw that became apparent during the warranty period.

Thanks for the input, I'll see what they say on Monday and I'll be sure to mention the Service Bulletin...unless they do first. My worry is that I don't think the car has ever been to M-B since it rolled off the lot, we've owned it since Sept 2011 and got no service records with it (good price though)

I finally got a call from M-B Burlington today, M-B Canada will cover the cost of our A/C Lines. But the service advisor said they were still waiting to hear back about covering the cost of the Evaporator. I find it odd, not only that it took 4 full business days to hear anything, but that they don't have a full answer yet.The waiting game continues.

I finally got a call from M-B Burlington today, M-B Canada will cover the cost of our A/C Lines. But the service advisor said they were still waiting to hear back about covering the cost of the Evaporator. I find it odd, not only that it took 4 full business days to hear anything, but that they don't have a full answer yet.

The waiting game continues.

Keep us posted please....

Sent an email off to MB Whitby on the new used cabrio we recently picked up and got this reply...

I will need to inspect your vehicle to confirm condition fault and report back to Mercedes-Benz. (A nominal inspection fee would apply)

MB will require any maintenance records that are available and will question where you purchased it. Privately or through our dealer network. Was the fact that the AC was in-op evident at time of sale. Please call at your convenience to set up an appointment to get the process started.

When I emailed them, I sent the VIN...guess they won't bother to check MB records until you start shelling out cash..........

Dale

They need to make sure they know the exact problems, we paid $60 or so to have the inspection done.M-B Canada won't cover the Evaporator.So, if we pay $1650.00 to have the Evaporator replaced then M-B Canada will cover the cost of replacing the lines ($1200)We cannot pay $1650.00, right now we can't pay $165.00FYI The Evaporator part is $1200 apparently.Quite a sad day :( I'm going to do some research and tinkering maybe the Evaporator leak is a simple crack that can be TIG welded ;) Gotta Dream right?I'm certainly open to input.

thanks for the update.I have no desire to spend big bucks on a/c.My other car's a/c is working fine and the cabrio will just have the roof down in hot weather.

for $165 i can pump a lot of cans of 134a with sealer in there. i put 1/2 can of freon/sealer in mine this will be the 3rd summer for it an its still working. princess auto has the cans on freon on the shelf's right now. ood time to get it before the summers heat an rush kicks in.

Green car's A/C is weak for the second year in a row.....I will see if there's anything on offer from M-B at 233,000 km! It was all good for 6 summers though. White car's A/C is fine after it got the once over in 2010, to the tune of 3 Grand at M-B internal rates.@Bessy: is the evaporator punctured?

I haven't had a chance to look yet...it's on my weekend list, after I do the honey do list.

Posted (edited) · Report post

@fordnutJust did some quick reseach. PA has "Duracool® Mobile A/C Recharge & Seal Kit" for $70 compatible with 134a, Also "Duracool® 4 oz Mobile A/C DuraDry™" for $25. Are those the products you mean?Sounds like a bargin to me depending how big the leak in my evaporator is...and assuming MB will replace the lines without me paying them to change the Evaporator.Input?

Edited by Bessy

Carter,It's worth spending the $60 or so to get it diagnosed. I've heard of members getting lines and condensers replaced with no charge. At the very least you get the system refilled and it will work for a few days or weeks or maybe even just work.

I think you will find MB won't work on the car if you use aftermarket gas. It will contaminate their equipment. The system is "supposed" to be sealed, closed. I would be amazed if they replaced lines if you aren't going to let them do the evaporator.Lack of coherent policy when fixing these a/c systems is one of the reasons I gave up on my smart. Sometimes they pay the whole shot, the next person gets a partial repair, and so on.It is a very poorly designed system and they should be ashamed of themselves. They aren't.