Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waiting

A/c It Works!

63 posts in this topic

If you wound up having to pay for new lines, I wonder if it might not be possible to modify the a/c system to put an electric compressor in, I know it wouldn't be easy ( or maybe even possible/feasible ) and haven't really investigated it too much, but thought about it when reading the thread about the smart converted to all electric operation, and thought you might be aable to put one up front , so short lines and away from engine vibrations. Probably would take too much work, and be too costly even if possible, but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

I did a search and it seems small electric units are sold for use in the sleeper compartment of trucks. (Here is one from China!) Looks like it needs about 1KW max, which may tax the electrical system on a smart.MB approved a 100% replacement of the defective lines on our smart. They were the old type and installed under warranty 20 months ago. It is being done at the moment.My wife would be unhappy if we had to abandon A/C on her smart (as I have on 2 other old MBs). It gets hot in the small space .

I'm glad you got the update!We will see if the warranty A/C repair ($3000 worth) done about 20 months ago on the white smart will hold or if it too will need the upgraded lines retrofit eventually. It has full warranty until October this year and I imagine that the importer might cover the repair under Eskulab for some time to come after that. So far it blows cold, but the A/C on the green car seems slightly stronger.

I also had the "permanent" fix done last year, and the A/C was blowing warm air this spring, but i just got word back from my service advisor that it's just the O-rings that need replacing and not the whole line, so that's MUCH better than in previous years. But it's still a $367 fix, unless M-B decides to pick up the bill again.

I'm glad you got the update!

My wife is too (its her car!) !I wouldn't have even thought of going back to dealer if it were not for this forum. :speak_cool: A/C is working great - hope it stays that way for a while!

My cabrio has the original lines and held pressure.a/c compressor was not working.Took it to Jordan at MB Master, he had the compressor rebuilt and I am up and running again much cheaper than a new a/c compressor from MB.Dale

where is the receiver dryer located on a smart 450?

my condenser leaks and today while scrapping a honda civic i noticed the civic has a nice little condenser that is good ...it got my thinking wheels turning

I believe it is in the condensor rad by the side of the valve. Saw drawing some where that showed this.

Edited by Wild!

i wasnt able to save the honda one ..it was too far gone

anyone know a source for decently priced condenser in canada?..(2005 450)...just want to ask before i try and find a used one

i dont know

i can get used for $50...just wondering if there is a source for new ones at decent prices (in north america)