Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teejay68

Any Differences In 2005/2006 Mechanicals?

10 posts in this topic

I have been looking around the forum for differences between 2005 and 2006 Smarts and other than a few options or interior changes have not been able to find if there are any differences in the mechanicals for these years. We have a 2005 Passion that was smacked up and are taking the insurance payout and keeping the car for parts as well. Now that we are shopping for another Smart we are finding more 2006 cars and are wondering if the motor, brakes, differential, etc right down to stuff like the muffler is interchangeable. I will be stripping the wrecked 2005 and cataloging and storing every part on it to have a stocked part supply here at home for years of hopefully trouble free driving with the new one. Any thoughts of interchangeability between these years or should we just look for a 2005.Many thanks for any input

As far as I know the only difference is the ABS controller.You can do Evilutions ESP Disabler mod on the 2005 but not the 2006.Canman

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the EGR valve was redesigned on the '06, but will retrofit perfectly to an '05. The '05 EGR will also fit the '06, of course. The '05 valve is more prone to clogging, that's all.Some '06 cars were built with the updated intercooler holder, less prone to chafing a hole in the intercooler. Very minor changes, everything will fit and work AFAIK.

Edited by Alex

The 05's - no block heater, cloth sound deadener over the enginethe 06's- has block heater, foam sound deadener over the engine

Very interesting, that the ABS controller is different.

I am pretty sure only a few 2005 cars may have the same/similar ESP unit to the Roadster. The only difference may be the input to disable the TC.

Thanks so much for the quick replies, its nice to know that we can shop for either year and have all these parts. The wife is already on a hunt for another and can't wait to be back in a Smart, looks like she wants the convertible this time :)

Are you sure the "G1" is not referring to the Trust+ cars? Because the 2005 CDN models have individual rear wheel braking capability too.

The electrical connector to the ABS units are totally different and the module on the 2006 is larger.The next time you are under your 2005 and 2006 see for yourself, you can see the controller by only lowering the rear undertray.I don't imagine that the Brabus mods would have affected the ABS controller.Canman