Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drofsoccer

Cruise Control Help

16 posts in this topic

Hi Every 1, I fell in love with smart 450s after seeing one on line last year and now own a 2003 cabrio and also purchase a 2006 coupe for my daughter. I saw on eBay a cruise factory cruise control stalk that I would like to use for my cabrio, but seller said I would need smart tech to program vehicle. I have installed both pods on my cabrio with out any problems, is this next endeavor much tougher? Thanks, JV

It might help if we knew where you are. Someone local to you might be able to help.

I am presuming that you are not in North America, since the oldest ones here that I know of are 2005's. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

I believe the cruise control needs to be activated by someone with a compatible computer.

:welcome: JV!Installing the CC stalk is pretty simple. The seller is right - you will need a cooperative dealership or an independent who has a Mercedes Star machine to obtain and flash in a TAN (activation) code.What part of the world are you in? Someone here can probably point you to the nearest tech who can do it for you.Bil :sun:

:welcome: JV!Installing the CC stalk is pretty simple. The seller is right - you will need a cooperative dealership or an independent who has a Mercedes Star machine to obtain and flash in a TAN (activation) code.What part of the world are you in? Someone here can probably point you to the nearest tech who can do it for you.Bil :sun:

Bil,I actually live in Schaumburg Illinois just outside of Chicago. Not too many 450s around here.

It might help if we knew where you are. Someone local to you might be able to help.

I am presuming that you are not in North America, since the oldest ones here that I know of are 2005's. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.

I believe the cruise control needs to be activated by someone with a compatible computer.

I actually live just outside of Chicago in Schaumburg Illinois. Just over a 1000 smart 450s were federalized for U S roads by GnK of California as far as I know none were diesel all were .7 turbo.

If you are willing to take a vacation and drive to Canada.Glenn (smart142) in London Ontario ( 2 hrs east of Detroit ) may be able to do it for you.But he only works on smart cars during the week, not on weekends.Canman

Hi Every 1, I fell in love with smart 450s after seeing one on line last year and now own a 2003 cabrio and also purchase a 2006 coupe for my daughter. I saw on eBay a cruise factory cruise control stalk that I would like to use for my cabrio, but seller said I would need smart tech to program vehicle. I have installed both pods on my cabrio with out any problems, is this next endeavor much tougher? Thanks, JV

Did you manage to get your stalk programmed? I just bought the factory cruise/stalk for my 450 pulse off of ebay as well. I took it to mercedes after they told me they would just flash it. And naturally they said they couldnt get the flash because of transport Canada hadnt approved the cruise as a feature when the Pulse was released back then. Errr something like that.But either way i'm in Canada and would like to get mine flashed. Does anyone know of a place in maybe western Canada that can flash these?Thanks,Rob

Did you manage to get your stalk programmed? I just bought the factory cruise/stalk for my 450 pulse off of ebay as well. I took it to mercedes after they told me they would just flash it. And naturally they said they couldnt get the flash because of transport Canada hadnt approved the cruise as a feature when the Pulse was released back then. Errr something like that.But either way i'm in Canada and would like to get mine flashed. Does anyone know of a place in maybe western Canada that can flash these?Thanks,Rob

And then i saw the wiki links. I'll try one of the Alberta places. :)

Hi guys...I can speak to smart142 (Glenn). He installed the cruise on my 2005 450 and it works perfectly. He did need the VIN in order to generate the TAN and all went well. The actual stock installs in about 5 minutes but the software update is what activates it. Good luck...

Eddy Lai in Richmond BC will do it too.

I just spoke to Mercedes and they explained it to me. Said that there wasnt even an option in my cars ECU to even activate the cruise. So are you saying i can just get the code generated and give the code to them to install?That would save a long drive if i could just pay for a code for them to enter.

Mercedes will not do it for legal reasons (no Transport Canada approval).But: your ECU can definitely activate the cruise function. You need to have an independent shop do it. Richmond BC is the closest location I know of for this. Both my 2005 and 2006 have been activated by Eddy.

Mercedes will not do it for legal reasons (no Transport Canada approval).But: your ECU can definitely activate the cruise function. You need to have an independent shop do it. Richmond BC is the closest location I know of for this. Both my 2005 and 2006 have been activated by Eddy.

Eddy as in Flying Tiger?

Eddy as in Flying Tiger?

Raversnet....Where are you?I'm in Calgary. I won't generate the TAN code, but can apply it if you get it from someone like Fast Eddy.Cheers!Dan