Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

2012 Canada1 Road Trip

82 posts in this topic

Go west, young man.Time to take the Canada1 for a little road trip.I plan to leave London early on Thursday, May 03rd, first to Saulte St. Marie, then to Thunder Bay, Winnipeg (maybe, Ron), Swift Current, Banff, Jasper?, somewhere in mid-BC?, Kelona? (maybe, Bil), then into Vancouver between the 10th and the 12th for a week or so (hey, this sounds a lot like last year's road trip).I may take the Yellowhead Highway route on the trip out... Not sure yet.I hope the timing works for you Keith. I'm REALLY looking forward to a 4-car summit. That would be great!Eddy... I'll see you for some basic service while in town. I'll call you to set something up. This week I'm installing my XM radio into an old dash drawer I got from Eddy (not the car's original), adapting my GPS to the drawer also, swapping the shorter rear view mirror mount with my other car (all the better to see you with, my dear), strapping on a couple of cheap CT seat covers for protection, changing out the original Brabus floor mats with an old valour set and spraying the front of the car with Pam vegetable spray (to make it easier to remove bugs, dirt and tar).Looking forward to lots of get-togethers (invitations pending from Winnipeg, Calgary and Kelona already).I'll keep y'all posted.

Edited by smartnhappy

Sounds like a great trip planned! Keep us updated with some great pics too.Blair

Seat covers should only be needed if you're eating in the car - our white stitching is fine after 2 years and 35,000 km!See you in Vancouver....

What can I say.... I'm kind of a slob.Gots'ta have my Timys to keep me fresh and alert.It' a case of caution rather than regret.

Better safe than sorry! Just whip the covers off when people look at the car closely!

Back on the 13th... we'll see what we can tee up that week. I will not be checking in here til the 14th probably.

Yellowhead is a very nice route.....

If your arr/dep timing works out for Kelowna, I'd like to show off my friends' cidery in East Kelowna. They press and process cider from fruit grown in their own property. A mom+pop craftsman style product and on a nice Kelowna day, it's a nice casual tour and a sit down in the open air of East Kelowna tree fruit country.Bil :sun:

Wow... didn't see that one coming, brotha! Life's twists and turns... I hear ya.B :sun:

Well we can at least have two get together here on the Island.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Glad I came across this. I am heading out to Vancouver Island from Calgary this summer, it will be the longest trip I've taken with the Smart. I am looking forward to it.Have a great trip!

Let us know when you are here, Ray and we could get together for a coffee or whatever.....

Away we go.Plan on leaving London tomorrow morning (Thursday) travelling thru the U.S. to Sault Ste. Marie.Then to Thunder Bay on FridayThen to Winnipeg on Saturday..... send me a PM Ron (HIGH IQ) if you're availableThen to Swift CurrentThen to or thru Calgary..... unsure of schedule right nowThen to KelownaThen to VancouverI'll post progress.

Will you be in the C-1 or the other car?

In the C-1.Got everything packed and ready to go, backed out of the garage and it start to rain. What the hell???Oh well. I knew it would eventually happen, but it's the first downpour and wet roads the hurt the most. A great drive to Sault Ste. Marie except for the 1 hour wait at the Port Huron border crossing, and the on-going thunder and hail storms.Winds strong enough that warnings were out on the Mackinaw bridge. So much for thoughts of a clean, quiet and peaceful start to my trip.An hour to cross at Sarnia and a minute to cross at the Sault. Go figure.Next to no traffic thru Michigan. Surprising and a little bit eerie.Tucked in for beddie- by at the Comfort Inn. Man, this takes me back to my 30+ years on the road.Plan an early start tomorrow for Thunder Bay. Better weather is predicted. I hope so!!West bound (ish) and down. Keep an eye pealed for a bright red blur streaking across the northern regions of Lake Superior.It might be me.

Great! Which weekend will you be in Vancouver? (I can come over on a weekend but not during the week).

Plan to be in Vancouver for the 12/13 weekend, and the 19/20 weekend is possible also. Can't firm this up till late next week.I also plan (hope) to get over to the island the week of 14 to 18 or 21 to 25. Again, nothing in stone yet.Don't want to get caught returning anywhere near the long weekend.

12th: OK for me, 13th is Mothers day so that could be an issue for me (to be determined) but the following weekend would be easy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Day 2.... brutal.Lousy weather, cold, drizzle, strong winds (mostly head winds) for most of the run from Sault to Thunder Bay. Sunny late in the day.Caught a rock off the windshield compliments of an on-coming logging truck, while passing another in an overtake area near Wawa.No damage, but does it ever wake you up! Shook me right out of my morning nap :)Traffic remains very light. Car running great, but no matter how much I love Smarts they're too damned small for long-term comfort.Don't get me wrong.... my discomfort stems mainly from bad knees, hip, back and sundry other failing bits and pieces.I just run for periods too long for normal people (probably why I like to travel alone). In the saddle 9 hours Thursday and 10 hours today (breaks only for a couple of combined fuel and food on-the-go stops).More stopping and stretching would no doubt improve things, but when you're on a roll.....Initial calculations after 2 days shows under 3.4 l/100 km (83+mpg) !?!? Right now I'm too dozy the re-check math. I'll try to confirm calculations after tomorrow's run to Winnipeg.Saturday's forecast is for rain and wind again. Can't wait to get to Vancouver where this is the norm.BTW.... the car is now officially dirty. Damn!!!Westward-ho!Addition.... fueled up in Wawa. Attendant had his Smart car parked nearby. Grey on black.Said he loves it, uses it all year, every day. Says it's a bit sluggish turning over at -40 below (no s**t !!).Says he doesn't plug it in, either ???

Edited by smartnhappy

Sweet! You are right, these cars basically are not well suited to long drives on consecutive days. Been there, it was interesting but not repeatable. One day I sat in it for 16 hours without cruise control and my whole body felt like a bloody pulp afterwards. The B 200 is a lot better, but the Peugeot 405 was a lot better than that! Now at least our cars have cruise.Has there been any reaction along the way to your fancy car?

Day 3.... cold, windy, soggy right up to Manitoba border when the sun came out and temp rose from 8 to 15.

Tomorrows forecast - rain! (what else).

Ron (High IQ) dropped by the hotel with coffee for what he pointed out has now become our 'anual' get together.

Nice visit re Smart cars and events. Plans already set for next years meeting.

One rear tire down 5 lbs ??, but otherwise no issues with the car.

Did almost 500 km on about 22 litres during one stint today. Still haven't done accurate overall calculations yet.

Tomorrow's run will be from Winnipeg to Swift Current, Sask., around 820 km taking 10+ hours (same as today).

Looking forward to seeing mountains in the distance. Snow would be a nice change from rain.

Mike.... I'll be in Vancouver by the the 11th, if your plans fit that weekend. Will Keith be available on the 12th?

I could come over on the 12th or 13th I think and bring Sandy with me, Keith said that he will be getting home on the 12th but I don't know if that means he'll be available then.

Keith, you need to let us know!

Bill, what tires have you got on the rims? The original skinnies?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bill:I was good to meet you again for our annual coffee. Your Canada 1 smart is very nice indeed, and I am pleased you brought it on this trip. You are the perfect owner for that rare car.Provide advane notice of your return trip if you come through Winnipeg, and I will gather other smart owners to meet you.HIGH IQRon

Edited by HIGH IQ