Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

2012 Canada1 Road Trip

82 posts in this topic

The Brabus suspension makes the car quite tidy on shifts and tight in corners.... but the trade-off is that the car is far less compliant with road imperfections and feels a bit choppy. No surprise really! I couldn't decide from that short run or two whether it was a must have, or would it be just for spirited driving with lots of corners. That for sure would be a blast in Mike's car. I wonder how the crossblades would feel combined with the Brabus suspension. (There is a way for Mike to find out..... there's still time!)I actually think the crossblade wheels are a really good middle of the road solution. I was running 37 PSI rear and 33 PSI front today. To make up for the fender space in the rear, I would actually think one size larger tire on the back would be okay (it just can't be too different or you get ABS/ESP doing it's magic.) Right now, both front and rear tires are all 215/40/16. The rears are quite 'stretched' on, and look really cool, but then there is that extra space in the fender that really needs to either get filled, or get lowered.

My advice would be to avoid the almost unobtainable (now) BRABUS suspension if you drive mostly in a city, due to the crap pavement; however I don't drive mostly in a city, so it's great! Apparently the BRABUS suspension is more comfortable than all of the alternative sport suspensions (this is from the German smart club). I would not want anything firmer.

Sorry I missed Ron (HIgH IQ) and any other Smarties in the Winnipeg.He mentioned there might be others in the area interested in seeing the car on my return trip.Sent Ron a PM on Monday about arriving on Wednesday, but didn't hear back.I'll post an update on the return leg of my voyage as soon as I can.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bill:Sorry that we could not meet on your return trip. I was out of town and could not reply to your message in a timely manner.I guess that means that you must do a return trip next year for our annual coffee. in Winnipeg.Ron

Edited by HIGH IQ

Made it back.Too pooped to post full report right now.Will fill in the return details ASAP.

Welcome home! Looking forward to the trip report!

Here's one for the record books.....

All during this trip I made notes on a small Sony voice recorder.  More accurate than my memory, believe you me.

But late into the trip I lost it.  Rather than fudge something together, I just didn't post anything more about the trip.

That was May of 2012.

Guess what....

I replaced the battery in the car last fall and what do you think I found next to it.

Ya, my voice recorder !!  It's AAA battery was OK and it worked just fine.

Like the Grinch,'I puzzled and puzzed till my puzzler was sore' and I can think of only one answer to this mystery.

I remember hitting the brakes hard after being cut off by a truck on my way to the early ferry to Nanaimo.

Everything slid off the seat and onto the floor.  Could do nothing about the mess till I was stopped in the ferry lineup.

Couldn't find the recorder and resigned myself to having lost it while loading the car that morning.

What are the odds it would somehow ricochet up into the passenger foot well and lodge beside the battery?

And what are the odds of it remaining fully functional there after more than 4 years?

I've decided I won't complete any report on the latter part of my 2012 western adventure.

I thing it would be somewhat like a history text.  I've got my voice notes now, but can't remember all the details.

Lessons learned are to keep the passenger seat clean, watch out for trucks cutting you off, maintain good brakes and change your car's battery regularly.

You never know what you might find. :)