Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart_guy

Whats It Worth?

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, Im just looking for some input from you guys. I have a customer with a 2005 Smart cabrio with 120k on it. The car came in with the engine hydro-locked from someone accidentally putting diesel in the air box and trying to start it. So long story short, crank the engine and there are lots of clunks and it won't start, needs an engine, or at least tear down to see how bad it is. The customer asked me what it would be worth with a toasted engine and as a dealer its not worth much $500-$1000. Now I totally understand private sales are way better and would get a real value. Does anyone have an idea what I should be telling him? Cheapest engine I can find is $2400 with 1 year warranty, no details of maint on it.ThanksTroyAkcent Motors

+1You could easily find a buyer here at $1500, perhaps even $2k depending on options etc....Running decent, 5-6k....Depends whether they want to cut their loss, or keep going with the car. If it's $3500 installed, they have a 5k car again.....

It might be worth it to him to re and re the engine, if the car has any sentimental value. $5k would probably be for one in great shape with less klicks on it. It is cheaper to repair than buying a new car; however, that's a tough call.You might want to contact Eddy over at Flying Tiger for some discussion twixt professionals, or to see if he is interested in the parts.

Does anyone have an idea what I should be telling him? Cheapest engine I can find is $2400 with 1 year warranty, no details of maint on it.ThanksTroyAkcent Motors

It shows that not only do some people just don't get it that the fuel door is on the other side, but that the two guys watching just stood there shaking their heads and making comments instead of offering help. In the words of Benny Hill, both the two women AND the two men are a "Pair of tweets".

LOL, good comedy! I have heard of three smarts in Canada that have been filled using that technique. It is not pretty. I am not sure about two of them but the one I saw in person was a woman who was bringing the loaner diesel back to TPM, it was an unreal scene.

LOL :lol: It's even funnier if you translate it!...when they manage to yank the air inlet cover off, they joke how it must have been closed by a man!...etc.MZ