Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KKSMART05

Both Low Beam Headlights Simultaneously Do Not Work

12 posts in this topic

Hey!I do some part time work at a boat launch in the spring and summer. As a result I get to meet allot of people in our town of 26,000 or so. I had a fellow SMART450 driver stop by mentioning that the evening before when he went to turn on his low beams both lights did not work. Before I get into helping him out I mentioned I'd ask for suggestions from other members on sequence of activities I should consider in identifying and solving the problem.Suggestions please. :santa:

Considering how often the lights burn out the first thing to check is the bulbs. If they went out in quick succession he may not have noticed one was out, and now both are. There was an older thread where someone was all panicked there was major issues going on, and all it was was two blown bulbs.

Yep. Step one is replace a bulb.Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree. Change the bulbs first for sure.:santa:

Edited by KKSMART05

The majority of dealers will do the replacement for the price of the bulb.I would go to them.

Make sure when you change the bulbs that you do not touch the glass with your fingers, use latex gloves or hold the bulb with a tissue.The oil on you fingers will cause premature failure.There is a slight possibility of a relay in the SAM being at fault.Change the bulbs first, if that does not fix it P.M. Me and I will help some more. ( does not require a trip to the dealer for SAM replacement )Canman

I had a low beam bulb go on me out west.Stopped at M B dealer in London yesterday just before noon.I decided to have them replace both low beam bulbs, to have a replacement when needed.They changed both bulbs immediately. Took about 15 minutes and cost just over $30.They went in thru the top access ports.... no need to remove the front body panel.Really fast, no waiting and charged only for the bulbs (no labour charge!).Terrific!!.... if a bit unexpected fron a dealer.

Hey Santa!Maybe you should feed your reindeer something different. :D I'll look at the diagram and see if I can come up with something more plausible.

Hi KKSmart05 (Santa)

I looked at the diagram, and it seems simple enough. It is either:

1. The 2 light bulbs as mentioned here [very likely they tend to burn in pairs];

2. The 2 fuses - 22 and 23 (all at once) [unlikely],

3. The combination switch (CS) (the switch that turns the lights on, high/low) [somewhat likely];

4. The wires between the CS, the Signal Acquisition Module (SAM), or the connectors at each end. The wires that activate the low/high beam are the Violet/Green (#35 of block N11-9 on SAM, pin 4 on CS), Yellow/Red (#34 of block N11-9 on SAM, pin 1 on CS) and Yellow (#9 of block N11-9 on SAM, pin 5 on CS) [likely the VT/GN wire, unlikely the others];

5. The relay switch located inside the SAM (relay K8) [i hope not, but somewhat likely];

So I would troubleshoot in that order, except for item 5 (I wouldn’t take the SAM apart, but bring the car to a dealer nearest).

Electric:

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortw...sam-wiring.html

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=501

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=539

Bulb change:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=295

Note that the right and left headlights leave the SAM on separate wires.I bet it is the bulbs though.

5. The relay switch located inside the SAM (relay K8) [i hope not, but somewhat likely];

I would not go to the dealer for a SAM repair, they will just replace it for $1400.

Let me know if the SAM is the problem, and I will help you out.

Canman

Hey!I do some part time work at a boat launch in the spring and summer. As a result I get to meet allot of people in our town of 26,000 or so. I had a fellow SMART450 driver stop by mentioning that the evening before when he went to turn on his low beams both lights did not work. Before I get into helping him out I mentioned I'd ask for suggestions from other members on sequence of activities I should consider in identifying and solving the problem.Suggestions please. :santa:

Check the wire going to the SAM unit, mine was burnt out. See link. http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry301276