Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robhawley

Glass roof disintegration

32 posts in this topic

Thought I would post this in case it ever happens to anyone else.This happened about a month ago.My wife had put my 4yo daughter in the passenger seat. She then went around back to close the hatch while my daughter closed the door at the same time.At that point, the glass roof disintegrated into small non-sharp (thank God) bits. Other than being very frightened, no one was hurt. Smartcare arranged towing and it was at the dealership for a week while they replaced the roof.

post-140-1135102060.jpg

post-1-1135102060.jpg

post-1-1135102061_thumb.jpg

Yowch. That stinks. Was it very cold out at the time, or was it more to do with the increased pressure from closing both door and hatch at the same time?

It's a common complaint, usually started by a stone chip along the front edge of the roof. Smart started fitting a clear sticker along the front. Rumours have it that smart have been using thinner laminated glass for the newer roofs hence the common problem.It can happen as here or when driving you get a lower pressure as the air goes over the car than whats inside which causes the explosion of glass.It is safety laminated glass very much like the windscreen glass in standard cars so there is no way it will turn into sharp shards.

It was about -5 C

No one at the dealership really did give a good explaination for it. I understand my pictures were circulated around Toronto and Europe.

Best guess it was a strange and unique combiation of temprature, the closing of both doors and a minor defect, or a feak occurance of resonant frequency causing it to shatter.

It is common?

I tried to search the web for other reports of it and found none.

The previous roof (and my new one) did have that sticker.

Yikes!

It doesn't look like the roof is laminated glass... if it were, it wouldn't crumble away. It would crack, but would remain held in place by the plastic laminate. If it crumbled into little pellets resembling corn snow, it's tempered glass (as all automotive "safety" glass is).

I had something similar happen to the rear window in my Chevy Venture minivan about 3 years ago. One of the employees had just pulled into the parking lot and was getting ready to come into the building when he heard a muffled "boom", and saw my rear window explode. This was at about 10:30 am, in the fall (perhaps Sept? was no snow, and it wasn't cold - maybe 12-15 C). When I looked, there was almost no glass inside the vehicle, indicating an internally applied force. The blower was on exterior air setting, vent open, so I think any pressure buildup would leak out easily. There was nothing touching the window (like a hockey stick or 2x4); in fact the hatchback area was entirely empty. Guys at the glass shop couldn't explain it. Natural phenonemon, or...unexplained mystery?? (>queue eerie music here<)

Yikes!

It doesn't look like the roof is laminated glass... if it were, it wouldn't crumble away. It would crack, but would remain held in place by the plastic laminate. If it crumbled into little pellets resembling corn snow, it's tempered glass (as all automotive "safety" glass is).

It did break into pellets resembling corn snow (non-sharp).

I seem to remember this issue being discussed in "The Book". Something about that on the original vehicles this was a common occurance. I'm actually shocked that it isn't happening more often, given the immense size of that pane of glass and how much this little car bumps around!

Really glad to hear no one was injured. That's proof right there that the style of glass (Tempered?) does exactly as it should, even when showering down on a little one!

-Iain

The reason you don't hear it as much now is the earlier post said that smart started to apply some plastic liner on the leading edge of the roof glass. Next time you go into your car look at the leading edge of the roof and see the plastic film attached to it. It's to prevent rocks from chipping the glass and starting cracks or shattering it. Earlier models don't have that plastic film.

You could always have your roof tinted and it would help keep the glass together if it ever did shatter on you. Just a thought.

Glad you and your 4 year old were ok.

Front Windshields are laminated - the rest of auto glass is tempered. Reason is they don't want you exiting out the front in a crash - but want to be able to punch a window in on the side to get you out if there is an accident.

Glass is actually pretty tough stuff - on a par with steel for strength - as long as you don't point load it. If you use a suitable glue to attach the glass it forms an intregral component of the car. There were quite a few "spontaneous" roof disintegrations in the smarts in Europe and the UK in past posts from the forums on the other side of the pond - guess they don't quite have it quite right yet (could be a manufacturing defect too - small irregularity on the lip or something).

Closing a car door creates a pretty good pressure differential inside on a well sealed car (try closing a door - opening a window and see the difference) - that and if the roof was already a bit tweaked due to temperature or a flaw - you know the rest.

In a way I am glad I got the sliding sunroof - at least it is a smaller hunk of glass if it decides to go out in a blaze of glory.

Cheers,

Cameron

p.s. glad everyone was okay and not too traumatized - but a nice gift from smart might make things better - hint hint.

robhawley: are you sure there wasn't a soprano opera singer on the radio at the time?

I'm thinking that on clear days, I'll start leaving my window open 1/8 inch when I exit the car...that should reduce the air pressure. Difficulty in closing the doors properly in the coupes has been discussed elsewhere...the cabin is incredibly airtight. Oddly enough, it seems to take more force to close the passenger door than the drivers door, unless there is an escape route for the cabin pressure.

Did you happen to find out the replacement cost of the glass roof (parts cost)?

speedi is quite correct in saying we in Uk and in Euroland had our fair share of these SRI's(Spontaneous Roof Implosion)The problem even made it to a Consumer Programme called "Watchdog" where the issue was aired,MB said that there was NO design or manufacture defect.It didnt resolve the Issue but a short while later 42's started arriving in UK with the Plastic strip on the leading edge of the roof.We still get reports of SRI's so the isue is still there.A previously stated if you get a clear vinyl sheet on the top of the roof it will at least hold it together.Alternatively go for the Cabriolet.I should go to your dealer and tell him that this IS a recognised issue with 42's!I am sure that if you trawl the fora on www.thesmartclub.co.uk you should find more info as that was where the majority of the comments were made.Hope this helps.

Thought I would post this in case it ever happens to anyone else.

This happened about a month ago.

My wife had put my 4yo daughter in the passenger seat. She then went around back to close the hatch while my daughter closed the door at the same time.

At that point, the glass roof disintegrated into small non-sharp (thank God) bits. Other than being very frightened, no one was hurt.

Smartcare arranged towing and it was at the dealership for a week while they replaced the roof.

Just read your ordeal about the glass roof. Ogilvie Motors on St. Laurent Blvd had a case just before Christmas. Glass roof shattered as the mans' son shut the door. Dan the service manager was suspicious and thought maybe the son attempted to scrape ice of the glass roof, and pressed to hard with the pointy edge of the scraper. The repair was covered under warranty.

Garry

Thought I would post this in case it ever happens to anyone else.This happened about a month ago.My wife had put my 4yo daughter in the passenger seat. She then went around back to close the hatch while my daughter closed the door at the same time.At that point, the glass roof disintegrated into small non-sharp (thank God) bits. Other than being very frightened, no one was hurt. Smartcare arranged towing and it was at the dealership for a week while they replaced the roof.

*****************************************************************Hi all,I just had this same thing happen to me. Noone was near it all night. Got in at 6am, -2 celcius, started the car, and kaboom. I reported it to Dave Morris this morning, hoping for warranty. Nope...Patrick Gomolchuk

This happened when you started the car?? The one above happened when the door and the trunk were closed at the same time. At least I can sort of see that being the case.So MB, is not going to replace the roof under Warranty. That sucks. I think you should be able to fight that. Let us know how much it will cost, because knowning my luck this will happen to me.

No; if the roof shatters at all it's because of internal stresses or a manufacturing defect!If you have to close the doors gently to prevent the roof from shattrering then there is a serious problem with this car! Any bump could have triggered it. It's like having an aneurysm, you can't go around being gentle with your body for the rest of your life in fear you're going to blow your brain up. :)-Iain

So, if is possible could be a manufacturing defect in the materials, then shouldn't the warranty cover it. I can understanding them not covering the windshield but the roof should be covered, in my opinion.But, what do I know I am just a customer!!

So, if is possible could be a manufacturing defect in the materials, then shouldn't the warranty cover it.

I'm sure they'd cover it if you can prove it was faulty. When something is in a million pieces, that's not so easy.

I don't know about out East, but if ICBC starts seeing a bunch of these claims, they will start making MB very uncomfortable everytime there is a busted roof.

That seems like a new one. My understanding was that the shattering roofs had the origin at the front of the roof, not the rear.That section shows the cabin vents. I wonder if it was a dramatic temperature change between the interior and exterior that caused the failure. It still should never happen though - even with +40 inside and -40 outside.I feel terrible for you and your car!edit: included sympathy statement.

Edited by Gent

Thank you for your thought. No dramatical change of temperature. The garage is not low heated.Outside about -2. About few minutes after I*ve put the car inside, it hapened. MB try to get rid of theproblem by telling me that it's not covered by the warranty. Also, they talk about a stoneship on theroof. How can we drive on highways without getting stone on the roof...Is there any "umbrella" we canfix over the roof to be protect against that? CAUTION EVERYBODY BE CAREFULL DON'T EVER DRIVE YOURSMART EQUIPED OF A GLASS ROOF...SO THAT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYBODY...I'm sorry but I don't believethat. I'm ready to fight with MB. Imagine...By only closing the tailgate it maked the roof exploded.THAT'S NOT NORMAL. AND I KNOW THAT HAPPENED TO SOMEONE ELSE DURING FALL AGAIN NO DRAMATIC CHANGE OF TEMPERATURE.