Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dpollo

Coquihalla Hwy

4 posts in this topic

I recently drove my '08 Pure over the Coquihalla Highway from Hope to Kamloops, just to say I had done it. It performed very well both ways.Was alternately followed by...then followed a white Diesel Smart from Kamloops to Sorrento. After a couple of days in Enderby (where there is a RV lot with a Smart and a trailer on display) I drove back home to Vancouver Island. Total trip about 1600 kms. Have not worked out the fuel consumption for the trip but fuel cost was about $75, with the best prices near Kamloops. Would I take this route in the Smart again? Probably, but only in good weather. I have driven this highway only a few times, first in a 51 Plymouth, then a PT Cruiser, a Dodge truck and a 50 Plymouth and now the Smart. Car of choice for pulling the hills in style and comfort....... not the Smart, but the 51 Plymouth! Car of choice for fuel economy, the Smart wins. dp

I have driven the Coquihalla Highway and the Merritt-to-Peachland Connector many, many times in my wee smartie in all kinds of weather, from bright summer sun to pouring rain, to near white-out, to snow/slush/ice.

Superior tires, preparedness (check BC Roads reports beforehand) and patience are important, and it is much more enjoyable with up-rated suspension, remapped performance, and cruise control (fine weather only!)

Latterly, I avoid extreme weather journeys but the smart handles such with aplomb if you must. YMMV of course.

Bil :drive:

I agree with Bil. The Coq is a great run. I've done it in an 05 Passion and an 06 Canada1 (re-mapped).Any drive in a Smart car is a nice drive, as long as you use common sense.

It is good fun in a Mazdaspeed 3 as well ;)