Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephanie1975

I Am Stephanie In Langley

13 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Smarties!I just got my first smart car. It is a pre owned 2008 cabrio. 66000ish kms. I have financing for 5 years and am hoping the car lasts!! Anyone have any experience with pre owned smarts? How many kms should I get with a tank. I was expecting about 500kms but it is less than that...hope this was a good buy!!

Hi Stephanie, and :welcome: to the club.I have two pre-owned smarts. One had over 94,000 kms on it when I got it. There is over 160,000 on it now (2½ years later). Mind you, both of mine are diesels, but that is a point in your favour since the gas models are theoretically less troublesome. That said, in the 2½ + years of ownership, the only problem I've had with that one is one that I caused myself, no fault of the car. The other car is a much lower mileage car and has been trouble-free. Regular maintenance is key to keeping things running smoothly. There are members from your area who can suggest good places to take you car for service where the job will be done right. I am sure they will chime in shortly. I have had little experience with the gas models, so I can't help you with the figures on how many kms you should be able to get from a tank of gas. A lot will depend on your driving habits. Feel free to add a picture of your new-to-you pride and joy when you get a chance. :)Ron :bike:

Welcome Stéphanie!500 km on 33 L should be possible, but then most drivers won't take their cars to 0.0 L. Read up in the Enviro-mileage forum for tips on how to get 600 km from a tank.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome!What kind of driving are you doing, how far are you traveling and at what speeds?Most of the time I am getting around 600km per tank (30-33L of fuel). That is driving the car fairly easy, mostly highway at 80 kph, 55 km one way. Even running the A/C on the way home this week, I have a couple litres of fuel left in the tank and around 550km.One tank back in April I ran to TO and back, 120 kph on the 401 and still averaged 5.4 lhk on that tank.670km is the farthest I have traveled to date on a tank.

Edited by Huronlad

Thanks guys,I will post a photo soon. It is a little firecracker I must say. I am a bit worried though as I have only had it a few days and the front headlights are already malfunctioning but I did get the smart certified 2 extra year warranty so I think that it should be ok. I am surprised how roomy the car is, but it is most assuredly not a smooth ride...but gotta say I am enjoying it so far, the rumbling and all. I was interested in the diesels but none were available but the dealer said that they may be coming back in future models. I will also check out the other forums and make sure that my maintenance is up to date. From what I understand from the dealer, the maintenance is affordable and needs to be done after each approximate 15000kms

Welcome!Most of the time I am getting around 600km per tank (30-33L of fuel). That is driving the car fairly easy, mostly highway at 80 kph, 55 km one way. Even running the A/C on the way home this week, I have a couple litres of fuel left in the tank and around 550km.One tank back in April I ran to TO and back, 120 kph on the 401 and still averaged 5.4 lhk on that tank.670km is the farthest I have traveled to date on a tank.

holy smokes! My current commute is mostly freeway driving at 110kms/hr so hope I can get milage like that. My commute is about 35kms one way. Edited by stephanie1975

Make sure they have the lastest transmission software loaded into your car, it will make it operate smoother.What problem are you having with the headlights?

The headlights won't come on and only one of the day running lights is working. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer about my concerns and when I take the firecracker in (I think that is her name as it fits...) I will ask about the software. Thanks!

Likely just a burnt out bulb. M-B should change it for just the cost of the bulb. The low beam headlights are your DRL and they come on as the car is started. The stalk inside just turns on the marker lights and instrument lights.

Hi Stephanie and welcome. I bought my 08 Passion Cabrio a year ago. It's an interesting vehicle but I'm also a guy who once bought a Fiat Spider 2000 so I tend to seek oddity and insist on tops that go down. I like mine. I had a burnt out headlight and replaced both. I get around 400 km but all city driving for me here unless I head to the mountains. Generally as with this morning I filled at two bars remaining. I came home from Golden, BC last summer on $16. in premium. I have continual engine light issues that come and go on their own at random that disturb me - my biggest beef. I've put about 9,000 km on in the year but I bicycle when weather permits. The heated seats and heater are great in the winter. The Smart works for me.Best of luck to you with yours.

Edited by RedDog

Hello fellow Smarties!I just got my first smart car. It is a pre owned 2008 cabrio. 66000ish kms. I have financing for 5 years and am hoping the car lasts!! Anyone have any experience with pre owned smarts? How many kms should I get with a tank. I was expecting about 500kms but it is less than that...hope this was a good buy!!

Hi Stephanie and Welcome to a great Family. We too are from Langley. We too purchased an 08 Cabriolet with 58000 Km just about a year ago and using it for fun with local commuting to down town Langley. Having a blast with this fun vehicle and trouble free so far. I am fortunate to do my own servicing but found M.B. on 1395 W Broadway Van. 604-736-7411 who did my last under warrantee service very good. I checked and they did the service sense new. For future things I can't handle I will probably use Eddy at Flyingtiger in Richmond 604-270-3733, who the Smart circle speak very highly of. I have met Eddy and also agree. Using the proper synthetic oil and premium (Chevron preferably) fuel will I'm sure keep our Smarts running trouble free. Enjoy and we'll see you running around Langley. We're the only yellow cabrio called "Flo" in the Langley area.PS Use this site freely when in need as there are wonderful friends out there to help. Using about 6Lt/100 Km around town use only."Sparky"/Warner Edited by Sparky

Welcome aboard! You will find this forum to be very interesting and informative, with a lot of people eager to help.Have fun and enjoy the smartie!

My dealer told me that there is quite the Smart family. I would love to be involved in a rally, I think it would be awesome to see a convoy of smarts. I already see all the smarts now and always want to wave, so Sparky, if you see a red cabrio with a grinning fat lady waving like a loonie, that would be me!!Does anyone know if there is a singles group for Smarties :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: