Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartme

What Type Of Motor Oil For My 2005 Diesel?

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm sure it has been covered before, but what type of motor oil is best for my diesel?My manuals states Mobil-1 0W40 Does the Mobil-1 0W40 have to say "for Diesels" onit, or is there only one type of mobil-1 0w40?

Edited by smartme

it does not say 'for diesel' on the bottle. I buy it at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale. check oil often, change on time and do not overfill. there are lots of discussions of this on here.

MB 229.5 oil spec is the important part-it MUST say that somewhere on the bottle. ONLY the european formulas have it, Mobil 1 0W40 ESP, Valvoline SynPower 5w40, Total and ELF brands certain lines, Motul certain lines, Quaker State 5W30 European Formula, Castrol Syntec 5W40, Amsoil, Redline both offer it, It is not that easy to find it off the shelf in Canada-Cdn Tire nor Walmart carry it, it can be ordered at Cdn Tire or all autoparts stores.

The spec for the 450 cdi, an OM660 engine is not 229.5, it is 229.3. We have discussed this many, many times. Mobil 1 5W40 ESP (low-ash) formula meets 229.51, the spec for the current (European) 451 cdi which has a Diesel Particulate Filter.

The regular (non-ESP) Mobil 1 0W40 available at Canadian Tire is fine, as are Castrol Edge (fka Syntec), Royal Purple 5W40 and 0W40, Amsoil and so on. Plenty of off-the-shelf oils meet 229.3.

I initially thought that 0W40 was required.Not so after checking smart car owners manual.Gave up on the expensive stuff and keep an eye on Canadian Tire for Rotella T synthetic oil (blue jug).weight is 5W40very high quality oilnormal price is 42.99 but regularly goes on sale for under 30 for the big jugchange my oil every 5 k and absolutely zero issues.In last year have put 50,000 km on my smart's with no oil/engine issues.just my 0.02 centsDale

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the info everyone. Got some Mobli-1 OW40 at Cnd-Tire so guess that will do for now. Wish I would have read your post earlier cruise_carter as I have about 5 jugs of the the Blue Rotella-Tthat I use for my motorbikes. Got it for $20 a pop just cross the border at Wal-Mart about a year ago.

Edited by smart142

the Rotella T synthetic is a great oil for some bikes.Used it in my Harleys.Harley states a HDEO is quite suitable and worked well as it is designed for diesel usage and has extra additives.Use dino Rotella in my old BMW K100RT.The 5 litre jug also gets you 2 oil changes.i change at 5k intervals, cheap to do with Rotella T.Dale

Seems to work in my bikes so far at least!!! This may seem like a dumb question, but I am having problems sucking up myoil on my Smart450. I have a MityVac MV7201 and did everything the manual says, inserted the tube down the dip stick hole, warmed up the car, pumped 10 times and even more to create vacuum but the oil comes just up the hose and then stops moving. Anything I am doing wrong? Do I need to remove the oil filter before doing this or any other hints?

remove the oil fill cap and have your Mityvac at ground level.once the oil comes up the tube under vacuum, it will then flow 'downhill' and then work on siphon principle.removing the oil filter and cover will have no effect.you may need to add a length of tubing.

Edited by cruise_carter

Thanks very much! Any idea how long the tube should be? I have about 3 feet of tube for the dipstick tube, but unless I keep pumping, the oil just won't flow freely.

Well, I got all the oil out, but had to keep pumping it out as it would not flow much for some reason. Got 4 liters out which is a bit scary and says much about the used car dealer that sold us the car! Surprised the motor did not blow. but we hardly drove it and had it in storage so good thing I changed the oil now. Runs like a little spitfire and am real happy with it after this oil change and after lubricating the waste gate arm.

Edited by smartme

YIKES ! ! ! @ 4 Litres. Yes, you are very lucky!There are a lot of used car dealers who have absolutely no idea how much oil is supposed to go into a smart. One of the first things a buyer should check when buying a used smart (particularly from a used car lot) is the oil level.You got off lucky

Yeah, I think so too! Today I tried it up a very very long steep winding hill with both of us in and it ran up it like a champ so everything seems to be ok. The auto mode could not figure the slow winding hill with all the switchbacks very well, but in manual mode it was flying without a hiccup so I must say that I am very impressed with this car so far considering it has less cc than my motorbike lol. The good thing is that I never stressed the engine in the slightest as with the correct gear changes it seemed to float effortlessly all the way to the top.

Edited by smart142

the advantage of diesel engines, even small ones is that they have very good torque compared to gasoline engines.horsepower is nice but torque gets you therethese cars have small hp but large torque for their size

I initially thought that 0W40 was required.Not so after checking smart car owners manual.Gave up on the expensive stuff and keep an eye on Canadian Tire for Rotella T synthetic oil (blue jug).weight is 5W40very high quality oilnormal price is 42.99 but regularly goes on sale for under 30 for the big jugchange my oil every 5 k and absolutely zero issues.In last year have put 50,000 km on my smart's with no oil/engine issues.just my 0.02 centsDale

Yup, was at Wally-Mart today and they had 5W40 Rotella T6 - Full Synthetic, in a 5L blue jug for $35.00 ($7.00/L). That was their regular price, not on sale. I might try it in 3k and see how it does. Will keep an eye on the Crappy Tire flyers, too. I hate to dump the expensive Mobil1 at 5k but when weighed against the price of an engine, I do it :)

Seriously, though, it's a difference of what? $10 per oil change? Look how often you read posts here complaining about how fragile these cars appear to be, but then folks are trying to skimp $10 every 8000 kilometres? Sorry, my investment (blood, sweat, tears, and money) in this little car is worth me popping for Mobil 1 or Royal Purple every six months or so.

Rotella T is 228.31, which is below the recommendation. True, some would argue that it's all BS and any cheap oil will work, but I'll respond by pointing out what I said just above: "Seriously, though, it's a difference of what? $10 per oil change? Look how often you read posts here complaining about how fragile these cars appear to be, but then folks are trying to skimp $10 every 8000 kilometres? Sorry, my investment (blood, sweat, tears, and money) in this little car is worth me popping for Mobil 1 or Royal Purple every six months or so."

Do whatever you like, it was just my 2 cents worth.70,000 km on smart cars using Rotella without issue works for me, just my opinion.Rotella is good enough for big rigs which work lot harder pulling heavy loads.Like I said, just offering an opinion.Can anyone here actually explain the differences between the 2 standards?

Edited by cruise_carter

Rotella T6 is another of the "Fully Synthetic" oils which are Group III not Group IV PAO ester based.This is why the prices are so much lower...

Oh, mine is also but an opinion. Jus' sayin'... 70K km means you've done somewhere between seven and 14 oil changes over the course of a couple of years on two cars. Even every 5000, I can't see why one wouldn't spend an extra $20 a year as just a little more insurance that the car will run better or last longer. The manufacturer must recommend Mobil 1 0W40 for a reason...

The manufacturer must recommend Mobil 1 0W40 for a reason...

and another opinion....Isn't Mobil 1 advertised on the MB race cars? A mutual relationship? :D 2 techs and my engine rebuilder don't have a kind thing to say about Mobil 1. That's why I've switched to the Liqi Moly.