Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reglys

Coil Springs

95 posts in this topic

Tolsen the rear springs I got from Eddy do not have the pigtail - same open end that David has. Haven't put it on yet but I trust Eddy has sent the correct spring. He lists it as 'north american spec' so maybe there is a difference in the build. Doesn't make a lot of sense but who knows.

http://shop.flyingtiger.ca/index.php?p=pro...3&parent=62

swl, that's the set I have had on my car for 3-4 years :thumbup:Bil :drive:

I swear to the superior Lesjöfors springs. Paid GBP 50 for a set of 4 inclusive of delivery.

Where did you purchase your springs? I live in the USA & just purchased a wheel/hub bearing assembly for my '05 450 cdi from the UK. The shipping was fast & reasonable so perhaps I could have the springs shipped from where you purchased them.

Where did you purchase your springs? I live in the USA & just purchased a wheel/hub bearing assembly for my '05 450 cdi from the UK. The shipping was fast & reasonable so perhaps I could have the springs shipped from where you purchased them.

Cheapest at the moment are Anschler springs. Available for as little £7.92 each inclusive of free UK delivery. This is for a front coil spring suitable for 450 Smarts made before start of 2003. This spring will also fit later 450 Smart but results in slightly firmer and lower ride at front as the spring is shorter and has fewer coils.The right Anschler front springs for 450 Smarts made from 2003 are a wee bit dearer costing £9.36 each, UK shipping included.http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-springsAbove firm ships to Canada, see "delivery information" tab.

This is for a 2009, i have a 2006 Diesel.

2009 Lesjöfors automotive spring catalogue.

For changing the Rear Spring, can I do it without remove the both Shaft ?? I try to compress the spring by hand and with a Spring Compressor but i don't have enought space or strenght...

On 13/08/2012 at 1:04 AM, tolsen said:

1. Can I add a 10mm plastic washer somewhere, for example on top of shock, inserted in to that black steel cup, seen on on left side of the picture? Would that solve the problem?

2. Or is it possible to add washers somewhere on the strut?

3. Third option would be to trim off some of the working surface of the strut with angle grinder, so the bearing would go further, effectively shortening the shock. Would that work? Not really sure how all of that comes together.

Options 1 and 2 would probably lift the front of the car by 10mm, which would look weird I guess?

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Early OEM springs for the 450 were short and did not need any spring compressor to assemble the struts. There were still adequate preload once they were assembled correctly so no rattle.

You can increase spring preload by adding a packer at lower support at shock absorber. Max packer thickness is about 1/4".

Can you provide a photo showing your spring?

Lesjöfors are available in Canada thru carquest

$200 for front pair if i remember right (some of that was a courier charge though because they werent stocked in my area )

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Swapped my wheels to summer ones today and had a good look around the springs. Everything seems to be in good order, springs are actually well preloaded even when fully extended. No loose joints in suspension or steering rack. I wonder where it is coming from...

Battery is secured well, no play.

I did, however, notice a play in steering wheel shaft. If I take a first shaft joint (on input of power steering) and wiggle it firmly, there is a considerable play somewhere on the other side of firewall, near steering wheel. The joint itself is ok, the two rubber bushings (that hold the steering rack) are also fine. Is there a third one somewhere? Steering is fine, no play in the wheel.

Did not give it more attention than that, but I wonder why the shaft has so much play..

Also discovered failed rear shock bushings (all of them). Shocks are fine, so I wonder if those bushings are easy enough to change... Or does it make more sense to just change the whole shocks?

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Perhaps steering column is loose at connection to steering rack?

I have yet to see rear shock bushings wear out on 450 Smarts or Roadsters.

Not sure if this is worn out or not, but it is quite loose, and I'm also hearing some rattling and loud metal-on-metal knocks on deep potholes (like the shock extends too quickly?).

Edited by TorqueJunkie

Metal centre aluminium bush at each end of shock tends to corrode and may look bad. Just ignore as long as there is no play in bush. On my Cabrio I have protected bush in two pack epoxy paint.

Knocking sound is more likely a worn sway bar drop link.