Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Motel Recommendation, Calgary

8 posts in this topic

Planning a little vacation North of Edmonton and I will need to stop over in Calgary for one night each way, some day before the Labour day weekend.Can anyone in Calgary suggest a convenient and inexpensive motel please? I don't know the are very well, but I have the GPS to direct me ;)TIA,Bil :drive:

No idea for your motel in Cowtown, but if you are driving through to Calgary in one day on the Trans Canada, I very strongly recommend you stop at The Big Bend cafe in Golden for lunch. Most excellent real food, a real foodie hangout. Local, independent and wonderful. I found it on my last trip out that way, and was very pleased I did.Have fun!

Hi Bil.I've stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites, near the airport, on trips out west both ways for the last 2 years.3111 - 26th Street NET1Y 7E4(403) 735-1966CAA/senior rate was around $115.Good parking, big pool, free continental breakfast, free wi-fi, free newspapers, restaurants nearby, Husky next door.Maybe not the cheapest, but always great service. Better quality facility that the standard 2-level Comfort InnsLook tired when you enter (and limp a little :rolleyes: ). Worked for me.... upgraded to a ground floor king suite all 4 stays.Hotel under some renovations during last visit on May 21st. Likely all done by now.Check corporate web site for promos, like staying 2 seperate nights at any Comfort Hotel earns a $50 gift/gas card.Don't know if this one is still on. They also have a membership program that earns points. Got me lots of free nights.Damn, this sounds like an ad for Comfort Inns. BTW.... I have no affiliation. :P p.s. I plan to stay there on both legs of next year's western road trip.Ciao my friend.

Edited by smartnhappy

Thanks for the tips, guys. This time I am on a seriosuly no-budget budget.I'm thinking I'll take a chance without reservations (have no credit card anymore) and hope to come across a dive/drive motel on the outskirts. I did this last year in BC and found a few $30/night roach motels :dunno: Bil :drive:

when you say you are stopping over in Cowtown Bil, which way are you headed from there?It would be great to meet you if yer going through Edmonton?

I will be traveling from Kelowna > Calgary > Edmonton > Elk Point. Same route on the return leg. I plan a drop-in in Edmonton to meet Robert (Ravk) to view his biodiesel processing setup; he's on 137 Ave NW. We can try to time this to meet up with you too, Roger. :thumbup:Bil :drive:P.S. It's looking like just after the Labour Day long weekend. Will advise when more certain /b

I will be traveling from Kelowna > Calgary > Edmonton > Elk Point. Same route on the return leg. I plan a drop-in in Edmonton to meet Robert (Ravk) to view his biodiesel processing setup; he's on 137 Ave NW. We can try to time this to meet up with you too, Roger. :thumbup:Bil :drive:P.S. It's looking like just after the Labour Day long weekend. Will advise when more certain /b

Sure thing Bil, if it's not on a week day and I am at work i will meet up with you?send me an e-mail, you should have my e-mail address? or even facebook?I don't get on the smart forum alot these days?It will be good to finally meet you after all theses years of computer chatting.Rog

Why Calgary anyway? Try the Bluebird in Claresholm and come up from the Crowsnest. A favourite of mine sometimes to just get out of town for a break. The Gene Autry-Randy Travis cottage is my choice. It's #19.

http://www.bluebirdmotel.ab.ca/

Edited by RedDog