Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ykcor

Esp + Scan Gauge ?

12 posts in this topic

My ESP light is on, but my reluctor rings (rear) look OK When I hooked up my scan gauge, It would not register vehicle speed-but all else seems good, like RPM, fuel consumption, temp.....I cant help but wonder if there is a connection ?

When does the light come on, at first start-up or when in motion? If the reluctor ring is fine, the sensor may be at fault. Without that feedback the computer can not calculate vehicle speed.

Edited by Huronlad

If your car is a 450 diesel, write an email to Linear Logic and ask them to send you a Non-CAN cable (it will be free).

Thanks guys Cable should be good, it worked fine last year on the Smart,and still is good in the corolla The ESP light is on when I start the car, then goes out as soon as I start driving then comes back on in a minute or two. At first it would take about 10K to come back on, but this soon shortened up to a minute or so......By sensor, do you mean one of the 4 sensors for the rings? Thanks

Since the fault is happening when the car is in motion, I would lean towards it being one of the rear reluctor rings.

If it's a diesel, you should get the non-CAN cable for the smart and use the CAN cable the SG came with for the Corolla. It could be a cracked ring though.

Sorry Mike for not answering your question.It is an 06 diesel, and my scan gauge worked great with existing cable until the ESP light started. I regularly switched the gauge back an forth between the Toyota and Smart until I parked the Smart when the alternator seized, and never had any issues, I learned to value it very much in both cars, but especially in the Smart, as I average close to 1000k a week for work, school, and kids sports.Also, you said to write them, but when I ordered the gauge, I requested one then, (from info obtained from this site..Thanks, it is a gem) and they replied that they had no idea what I was talking about......Has any one else seen this issue? And sorry if i missed the post, for I have spent many hours reading on this site (a gem) but how is one best able to trouble shoot the ESP?Thanks

Sorry Mike for not answering your question.It is an 06 diesel, and my scan gauge worked great with existing cable until the ESP light started. I regularly switched the gauge back an forth between the Toyota and Smart until I parked the Smart when the alternator seized, and never had any issues, I learned to value it very much in both cars, but especially in the Smart, as I average close to 1000k a week for work, school, and kids sports.Also, you said to write them, but when I ordered the gauge, I requested one then, (from info obtained from this site..Thanks, it is a gem) and they replied that they had no idea what I was talking about......Has any one else seen this issue? And sorry if i missed the post, for I have spent many hours reading on this site (a gem) but how is one best able to trouble shoot the ESP?Thanks

STOP USING YOUR SCANGAUGE IN THE SMART CAR UNTIL YOU GET THE NON-CAN CABLE!It can cause intermittent ESP problems and can cause your odometer to jump hundreds or thousands of kilometers ahead which can't be fixed.Contact the mfg. Linear Logic to get a special NON-CAN cable.CANMAN

The first time I e-mailed about the cable the person who replied said they had not heard of such a thing. So I e-mailed again and they sent one without a problem. We had the lights issue, and I think the odometer jumped but I wasn't sure...maybe we just drove alot.

WOWThanks, I never returned to the scan gauge posts since I bough mine last spring.My mileage may have also jumped, for I was quite surprised to see I put 37000 k on the car over the summer while also driving my Toyota.......This would explain things.I am going to pull my old email from them, and forward it back with a blast.......I expect them to still question what a non-CAN cable is though......

Make sure you tell them you have a Diesel Smart Car, might even help to add "I have a 2005(6) Smart CDI and am having problems with my Scan Gauge"

Your car is probably in Dynometer test mode, it happens from the obd2 accessories. Mine had set that fault after using an Autel computer in the obd2 port, dealer reset and all was ok. It could also be a fault with the ABS system, so get it scanned with a star system.