swl

Intercooler Removal

39 posts in this topic

Hi Tolsen...

There is a CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) office in Barrie. I will go there today and get the straight scoop from them and report back. I was wondering about that, too.

Update...

I just called the CBSA instead of going to their office. So here's the breakdown....

Duty is 6% - on a $130.00 parcel, that's $7.80

Tax (HST) is 13% - on a $130.00 parcel that's $16.90

Total taxes and duties is $24.70

I called UPS. As near as they can figure, from the address of Wanapart to Toronto, they would charge $14.25 brokerage/handling fee.

Extra charges.....$7.80 + $16.90 + $14.25 = $38.95

Total would be $194.00 (IC and shipping) + $38.95 (duty/tax/handling) = $232.95

All of this is approximate and subject to change but it gives a good idea of what to expect. The CBSA agent that I spoke with strongly advised that anyone who is considering importing car parts to contact the shipping company BEFORE ORDERING to determine their fees, as each company is different.

Edited by Utopiacdi

I see duty and taxes are highest in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island (approx 25%) and lowest in Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon Territories (approx 14%).UPS' handling fee is most likely a fixed fee regardless of amount collected. I think you will save a few bucks by grouping together and importing more than one IC in one purchase to one of the low taxation locations.

my experience with parts from the US is that UPS is always the highest. With Fed Ex from the states if you do air shipment they don't charge you the brokerage fee. Postal Service is also very reasonable for small shipments. Shopping around helps.We are going to pay the HST(VAT) no matter where it comes from so that doesn't come into the equation. Surprised that there is duty on car parts from the UK. I guess the Free Trade agreement with the US is useful.I've been given direction by she who must be obeyed just to get one locally and get the car back on the road. Pity but she is back to work and hates juggling cars. I'm wondering if we should move this discussion over to the General Discussions forum and see if there is any interest in a group buy. It would reduce the shipping across the pond but then there would be the issue of trans-shipping once in Canada. One brokerage fee would be good.

Help! I'm getting frustrated again.Trying to remove the air scoop so I can photograph the unit, clean it up and relieve the edge that cuts the intercooler. There are 2 E8 torx: one left side exterior - one right side interior. Awkward but not a problem.There is a third bolt through a tab on the bottom left of the scoop that is causing me grief. It looks like it could be a T-35 but the hole is round (might not have been when I started but it sure is now!). There is also a smaller diameter hole in the bottom of the first hole that is very deep. This bolt is not tight. There is about a quarter inch of play where the scoop can move in and out along the bolt. This may be what has allowed that corner to do so much damage.What the heck kind of bolt is that??post-1939-1347647173_thumb.jpg

Edited by swl

Is is one of the plastic 'plugs'. Pull/pry the center out, then the whole fastener pulls out. (if it is plastic)

I might be in on a potential group buy. I think my late build 2006 has the new better holder, but I'm closing in on 200K with every intention of keeping it for a long time yet. Keep it until I need it, or just change it out anyway if I need to pull that area apart for something else. We might want to consider a bigger group buy of multiple items. Some things are just insanely cheaper in Europe. Free trade, harmonization, level playing field, globalization my ass, we are getting screwed! :P

I might be in on a potential group buy. I think my late build 2006 has the new better holder, but I'm closing in on 200K with every intention of keeping it for a long time yet. Keep it until I need it, or just change it out anyway if I need to pull that area apart for something else.

Alex the intercooler, without this cutting issue, should never wear out. It may get clogged but it is easy to get it boiled out if that happens. I wouldn't recommend you buy a spare no matter how good the deal. The better recommendation might be to set aside a weekend for maintenance and pull the EGR and intercooler for cleaning and inspection. If you are seeing signs of cutting deal with it with epoxy or some form of solder before it perforates. Small perfs should be repairable with a good success rate if you use the right material. I just let mine go too long and the cuts are too deep.

Is is one of the plastic 'plugs'. Pull/pry the center out, then the whole fastener pulls out. (if it is plastic)

Good call!Even more simple though - it is just an alignment post. The movement that I felt was the scoop sliding up and down the post. Just needed to clear the scoop off an obstruction up near the right hand e8 and it slid right off.The bad news is that I don't think I can get that out to photograph it. It is a pretty big piece and there are a lot of obstructions. I think you would need a full drop of the subframe (perhaps Tolsens 'back bolts in the front position - rear frame on 2x2s' would be enough.) I'm afraid that it would take me too long to go there - my car is not far enough off the ground. post-1939-1347725498_thumb.jpg

ahh you need to be a member of Evilution ($20/yr) to see the appropriate pictures.

Applying silicone will not prevent the puncture because the i/c holder rubs against the aluminium fins of the i/c.

The i/c needs to be removed and the lip of the bracket needs to be cut out to prevent the damage.

If the intercooler is punctured it would have to be removed, and then cleaned, before a repair could be tried.

The intercooler gets very oily because of the exhaust gas that is circulated through it. If any of the ''oil'' remains after the cleaning it will prevent sealing of the punctures.