Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
houseofdiesel

Audio Upgrades, Where To Start?

27 posts in this topic

So I have my dash out, seats out etc and now I am scratching my head...the 4" dash speakers are three screw jobs (triangle bolt pattern), where as every replacment speaker is four screw mount (square). The radio is only wired for two speakers at the moment, however there are four empty blanks in the wiring harness, can I just add terminals and have two more speakers? I have a Pioneer amp to install probably under the seat and run some speakers in the back somewhere. I am also looking at Kicker PT8 or HS8 small powered subs to add some bass. Not sure how this is going to work out yet...since there are no RCA jacks on the stereo I might run out of options fast.My goal is to actually hear the music at highway speeds and not just distortion or wind. Anyone have upgrade opinions?

Flying Tiger

Buy 'Bass box Left' and 'Bass box right'. Then screw some quality 4" speakers in.

Then add some 6x9s in the tailgate.

The stock Head Unit is pretty good...

I would add the speaker bins. Step up to a pair of 5.5" or 6.5" component speaker, whatever fits in the bins. Is your existing amp 2 or 4 channel? Does it have speaker level inputs?If 2 channel with speaker level inputs I would power the dash speakers with it and look at one of the powered subs for low frequencies.If it is a 4 channel with speaker level inputs I would power the dash speakers and look for a low profile 10" or 12" sub and power it with the other half of the amp.

The amp is 2 channel with speaker wire inputs, I might have to ditch for 4 channel or more, I wasn't planning on powering up the dash speakers just a rear set and a sub of some sort. However, I cannot have two amps of one feed of speaker wires can I? I am lost with audio for the most part. I think for simplicity a powered sub box combo like that kicker HS8 is just right as it is already engineered and built, plus reasonably light weight.Where do those bass bins mount? Upsidedown under the dash? What about the stereo having another speaker output? It is a four speaker radio right?Thanks,Greg

The 4 output from the factory stereo are for the upgrated speaker set, woofer and tweeter. There are built in filters in the radio. The speaker bins mount under the parcel shelf, the FT link shows the bins mounted, with the dash out. I see no reason why you could not power multiple amps off the factory speaker wires. The amp inputs are going to draw minimal current. I am partial to having an accurate sound stage, so I would never add rear filler speakers but if you just want loud that would be one way to go.

On my cabrio I added some thin speakers to the doors, I think they are 4x5s ( had them in another vehicle so didn't buy them, so not positive). My car came with an aftermarket stero so really can't help too much with the wiring etc. I did have to run my speaker wiring out the grommet in the firewall and around to the doors. I put the speakers in the doors as I too wanted to be able to hear some music on the highway ( ESP with the top down) but did not want to loose the storage for the roof bars either. I have to say the difference in sound is worth the effort. I didn't have speaker covers as these speakers were under the original speaker panel in the donor car, so had to make some of my own, they don't look the greates and I need to redo them at some point, but the speakers them selves work great, no interference with anything in the doors ( I think you could even get something bigger in, I just went with what I had, there is still clearance for something bigger). I hope you get it all figured out so you can hear your music.

Thanks for the info so far. I don't want "just loud" I want something worth listening to and worth the weight penalty it will cause. As it is I cannot even hear the radio above 60km/h, forget about cd's. I am not going to ditch the head unit I like the display with weather and music/artist very unique. I am sure it will sound fine with proper speakers/more power.The extra terminals on the radio up top are for cd changer, mp3 input and ??? these are the very small pins, then below speaker terminals then power. Anyone know of a good diagram to start with?Thanks, Greg

So I did some deep searching and now understand a bit more...There is only a tweeter speaker output other then the dash speaker, I do have a nice set of tweeters JBL from a leftover set never used, they will go in. I will probably get a 4 channel amp now since there is only one speaker chanel to use and power two sets of speakers and get an underseat bass driver all in one, not sure how that is going to work out with splicing the one speaker line, I guess it should work or find a non powered bass unit and 5 channel amp.I saw how the speaker boxes from FT work now, they replace the dash speakers I was confused and thought they were upside down below the dash...too much money to outlay there for a simple box. Hearing them in another car might change my mind...Off to the people who know this stuff and hopefully their products better then I do!Greg

So the car audio shop was really helpful but VERY expensive, still at it. They recommend JL audio cleansweep processor that takes a speaker wire input, cleans up the signal and adds full range (32 bit processor) then adds a couple of RCA outputs. Very neat stuff, but priced at $369...I picked up an audiocontrol LC2i at futureshop for $99, has two sets of rca outs, one full range, one low frequency for bass amp. I had no idea this stuff existed, you can really get lost reading about it online! I also picked up a Kicker 10TCVT82 sub/box combo, looking at an amp for it now and raising the drivers seat about 40mm to clear it and make sure the seat can still move ahead for the wife! Will try this, with the current amp powering the dash speakers. It might work, it might be missing mid range yet have to try it and see. Then will get a 4 channel amp and add 6.5" door speakers I guess. 6X9s are way to big for these cars, overkill and look terrible to me anyways. I am trying to keep this as hidden as possible and light.Pics to come...

I have a LC2I going into a 4ch amp powering 2 6.5" subs in the little space behind the back of the seats in a box I built and 2 6" speakers in the gate sounds nice, put tweeters in the front pod dash vents so you cant see any of the stereo or speakers.

Have any pics to share of the sub box you built?Are your tweeters straight off the radio no amp?I returned the Kicker box/sub the amp to run 2 ohm was way out of my budget, twice what a powered unit runs. I am looking at the Crutchfield Sound Ordance b-8pt for $200, or possible building something myself but again the amps are so expensive! Plus the kicker would just not fit without a ton of seat raising, it changed from what is shown on their website, it slopes accross the unit now not front to back as shown which really hurts for under seat space. Greg

I can take a pic of the box this weekend, I have 2ch powering the little subs and the other two powering the gate speakers and tweeters. I still have the stock dash speakers but not through the amp and cannot hear them at all.

[no idea how speaker stuff works!]If I have the dash out and want to put in better speakers, do I have to change any wiring or just plug the new speakers into the existing wiring that comes to the old speakers?Bil :sun:

Very interested in this thread cuz my speakers have major distortion at regular level n it drives me crazy!!!

[no idea how speaker stuff works!]If I have the dash out and want to put in better speakers, do I have to change any wiring or just plug the new speakers into the existing wiring that comes to the old speakers?Bil :sun:

Swapping 4" speaker for 4" speaker would be this easy. If you are dealing with the upgraded speakers(component, seperated woofer and tweeter), it would be best to use the supplied crossover that would come with the new speakers.

I think I've posted this before (somewhere), but I installed an aftermarket Stereo, 5 1/4insh speakers in the front boxes,and 5 1/4 inch speakers in the trunk. No amp, just a powerful deck, and I can hear the music loud and clear even with theroof down. With the roof up it can get uncomfortably loud if I want it to but no distortion or vibration at all.post-8454-1348103542_thumb.jpgpost-8454-1348103568_thumb.jpgpost-8454-1348103586_thumb.jpg

Bil to install 4" speakers you need to cut the factory wiring terminal and install spade connectors on each wire, then figure out how to mount the new speakers as they all have a 4 screw square pattern vs the factory 3 screw triangle, I used a piece of fake flooring 3/8" cut hole nearly 4" diameter, mounted that to the factory screw holes and then mounted the speakers to it, a spacer basically with some foam separating it from the dash so it doesn't rattle, will post a pic later. It makes a difference if you buy something decent, cleaner sound and more volume possible, but still not enough for roof down on the highway plus you miss half the music being small speakers. Still thinking which way to go is best, underseat idea or build something behind the drivers seat.

What I have been using is a pair of cheap (on clearance) plastic aftermarket speaker enclosures with no-name speakers inside. I Just tapped into the existing wires behind the head unit and ran wires to these boxes. I placed one on top of the passenger footrest and one in the boot, with Velcro to keep it from sliding around. It's kind of a "ghetto" upgrade but is a noticeable improvement as far as I experience it.Maybe I'll take a couple of snaps to show what I mean...I am no audiophile, but with these, and the radio's sound boost set to ON, I get a lot more bass and enjoy the sound more. Having one in the back gives a fuller, more "surround" kind of sound.I had put a small speaker in the passenger headrest but didn't find that that really gave me anything. My hearing sucks so it's not worth it to me to spend a bucket of money on upgrades. Bil :sun:

Sorry for the poor pics , they are separate boxes underneath the main sections shown, lots of room for the driver,pass is ok if there 5'5 or shorter :)

post-11818-1348443242_thumb.jpg

post-11818-1348443258_thumb.jpg

My cheapo solution for deeper, fuller, more "surround" sound. I got this pair of auxiliary speaker units at XSCargo (basically a discount jobber) on clearance. I think the pair was about 30 bucks. I just used "scotch locks" to tap into the oem speaker wires. If the radio sound "boost" is ON, it's a really noticeable increase in depth and breadth of sound.

The front add-on speaker on top of the passenger footrest.

Posted Image

The rear of the pair can be moved around for cargo in the boot.

Posted Image

Also added a small speaker I had in the shed. This one really doesn't do anything for me.

Posted Image

Bil B)

Hey, look at this! Looks as if you can turn the whole ROOF (or some other panels - maybe seat backs??) into a speaker! Wire it up and stick it to the glass...

HiWave Technologies' 32 mm balanced exciter was originally designed for automotive applications where its rugged design would allow it to pass the requirements for automobiles.

Sweet!

Posted Image

Bil B)

Edited by bilgladstone

Not wired in yet. 2x 12 inch subs and a 300W amp. I need to figure a way to bolt it down. It weighs about 100+lb and takes up 80%of the trunk. It is honestly too big to live with.

ANM02Pel.jpg

Ideally I would get 1x 8 inch sub and put it behind the drivers seat and 4x 4" speakers(replace fronts) and one behind each seat. 

Take a look under the carpet just behind the seats and past the engine cover there should be two nut ankors fixed on the surface  that might help. there where in mine  and I made use of them.