Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
12Alfa

2005 Cdi Won't Shut Off

14 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 CDI and today when I parked and placed in N then applied the hand brake. Went to remove the key and the car keep running. No matter what I did it would not shut down. I finally removed the fuze to the gas pump (17) I think.Any suggestions on what it may be.

I have heard of this happening with a booster battery plugged into the cigarette lighter.Canman

What does the dash display and lights do when you turn the key off? And what happened after you pulled the fuse?I assume there is no trouble light showing or you would have mentioned it. Worth mentioning if true.The more details you can provide the better the chance of someone here knowing the problem. Also the better written up, the more entertaining the writing, and the weirder the problem, the better the chance of sparking one of the brilliant minds here to think about it. :)

[All the dash indicators are normal, when I pull the fuze the engine turns off as normal. I have a soft top that I just put down after having it up for a week or so. but I can't see that having anything to do with the problem. Tomorrow I will check that just 2b sure.It's the weirdest thing. Fine one day then this, tried goggling the problem with no luck.As for entertaining the subject, I live in a geodesic dome with a dome garage that the Smart lives in also for some positive vibes/energy. I also give rides in the Smart at work for a fee of a Timmie coffee during breaks.I hope this will entertain as well give some answers to my problem :rolleyes: ..........the car I mean...LOL :P

Had something similar happen like this a few years ago at work. A John Deere combine wouldn't shut off even after the battery cables have been pulled! Traced it to a fused diode on a cellphone charger that the farmer had installed. The cell battery was enough to keep the engine running!

I am thinking perhaps the switching part of ignition switch does not turn when you turn key. There is info on Evilution about that problem. Does your Smart still start?

How does fuel shut-off work on the 450? As this car is full of electronics, I would guess that there is a solenoid that cuts the fuel or does the fuel pump shut-off stopping the fuel flow? I had a Merc 123 with a vacuum shut off. It had a lever on the vacuum shut-off that one would depress if the engine ran on after ignition switch turn off.

[Common rail diesels don't need a fuel shut-off. When the injector stops getting pulsed to inject fuel the engine stops. And old-school diesel can and often was made with no electrical system for the engine itself, just mechanical including a way to cut the fuel entirely.Back to the original poster... Need more details! Sounds electrical in nature, we need to know exactly what happens when the key is shut off, both before and after the engine is stopped by pulling the fuse. Also confirm what fuse it was. I'm thinking power is being supplied somehow to the circuit that should be energized only through the ignition switch. Need to know if the dash display and other functions stay entirely normal until the engine is stopped, and then what?

[Dash display is normal. When it shuts down everything that should not work does not (windows etc) Everything that should does (Key lock etc).Ok checked the top, no issues there.But on a different front... I decided to try to start the car with the fuse out #(16 fuel pump),,,, and it started, and shut off as per normal. So is this fuze really needed. I will look for the wiring diagram and trace the wires to see if I can find any thing wrong there. Yep starts and stops with the fuze out.

Edited by smart142