Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KurtMan

Fuel Additives

28 posts in this topic

Anyone care to recommend any fuel additives? I've always owned brand cars and kept them for a few years so this concept is quite new to me. I'm now the proud owner of a 05 Cabrio Pulse with 108,000kms on it and was hoping some of you could educate me on which ones work best for you and for what reason.Thanx in advance!!!

I use Redline 85 Plus in the summer and Lube Corp Winter Lube Plus in the winter.

Edited by Huronlad

Another vote here for Redline :thumbup: Increases Cetane for more complete combustion, and keeps the injectors clean. I've tried several others and like this one best.Bil :drive:

Some stuff that TPM in Victoria sells, I forget what it's called, but if you're interested I could look it up. It resuscitated the fuel gauge of our green car single handedly 2 years ago.

Some stuff that TPM in Victoria sells, I forget what it's called, but if you're interested I could look it up. It resuscitated the fuel gauge of our green car single handedly 2 years ago.

A common thing is for the cdi fuel gauge to stop registering properly - the mechanism kind of binds and sticks in one place, Is that what you had? biodiesel, or any other mildl-solvent diesel additive will fix that too. But I'd be interested to hear what TPM sold.Bil :sun:

OK, so that's a pretty conventional additive like Stanadyne or Power Service or whatever. since I've now run out of Redline, and since I've chosen to go with the Liqu-Moly engine oil (which I like very much after 2,200km of driving so I think I'll stay with it) I think I'll visit NAPA and see if they also carry Liqui-Moly's "Super Diesel Additiv". This line of products is touted as top-of-the-range oil products from Germany.Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

The easiest one to source in Ontario is Power Service, the grey bottle for summer only, the white bottle year round, the red bottle for emergency -40 and it won't go due to frozen fuel. Canadian Tire sells it, it goes 20-30% off on sale every 3 months- $15 for a big jug. Cdn Tire offers their own product, I think it is just Kleen Flo rebranded.Redline is great too, just not sold at Cdn Tire anymore, it might be special order only and pricey. Howes makes a good one tooKleen Flo has a couple of choices, avoid the ones with alcohol. I have checked the warnings on each bottle, it seems they all offer the same ingrediants xlyene, aromatic hydrocarbons, 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene, mineral spirits or some sort of combo. I am not a chemist, I don't know what "cetane" actually is (toulene is octane to gas), but lube in the fuel in very import hence avoid dry stuff like alcohol products. ATF is also a no no with modern diesels.I have run all sorts of different conditioners, the Power Service seems to be the best bang for the buck and easiest to find. I run it all the time so it is really difficult to say one vs the other product and most of the time is a mixture of this or that as some have more anti gel or cetane boosting etc. One car has fuel records for 12 years 455k, there is no real change accross the spectrum in fuel economy other where the fuel was bought makes a difference.It does work, all our vehicles are diesel and some family members neglect to use it and it shows when you pull injectors and compare quite extreme actually.

Mike suggested I get some Petrolabs Diesel Power Plus from TPM in Victoria when I was out there in May, as I was also experiencing a wonky fuel gauge on the '06 Canada1. By the time I hit Ontario the gauge was working fine and continues to do so. I'm sold on this stuff. A little goes a long way.

Hey Kurtman, nice Frenchie! :D Buy the Diesel Kleen (Power Service) at CTC when it goes on sale.Works well.As has been said, white bottle for winter, grey for summer.Also use Stanadyne.Can't go wrong with either.Dale

NAPA has the full line of LiquiMoly products. I am doing a Diesel Purge and will post a video of how the engine sounds after it's done.Bil :sun:

I think it all kind of depends what you can get easily where you live :dunno:

Some are more efficient than other. You can't compare "stanadyne" with "kleenflo" or "dieselkleen". Some are more like "antifreezing" and other are more like "lubricante" or "cleaner". Buy what you need!

Hey guys I have been using AMSOIL cetane booster and diesel injector cleaner for my customers. I'll post some pictures of the EGR as I actually monitored 2 cars over the last year and a half just to be sure Im selling a good product. I have an appointment for inspection this week and I'll have the latest pic as of friday. My diesel experience has found that all diesels will benefit from a cetane booster of sorts and in really cold climates a STANTEDINE based cold flow (antigel) additive. DO NOT use alcohol based additives as alcohol absourbs water and we want to separate it. Water in injectors = wallet on a diet :)

Like I said, I read the labels and none of them have any special over the other. I tried the Amsoil for a while (case), Stanodyne (case), Howes (case) found no difference then the rest. So long as you used something...for sure the Stanodyne is EXPENSIVE and very very hard to find. Redline was expensive but much easier to find, not so much anymore. I used to import the power service from the states before cdn tire sold it as it was always the best deal and worked just fine. Each injection system has different needs and each one reacts differently, some injection pumps had engine oil for lubrication, not as critical, others needed it for more lube to stay healthy. Some engines require 50 cetane and as much help as they can get, others run just fine on crap for fuel. I have all diesels in the family (parents, brother, wife, myself) many diesels adding up to millions of kms over the last 20 years. Tried em all...still use power service. The only one I don't like is the kleen flo 1 liter bottles that are grey with heavy equipement on the label, I think contain alcohol

I have now begun treating my "wee smartie" to a diet of Liqui-Moly Super Diesel Additiv.

Posted Image

The Liqui-Moly Super Diesel Additive with Cetane Plus offers greater engine performance, with less diesel knocking, quieter running and easier starting. Cleans the engine and injection system and prevents the injector needles from seizing or resinifying. It reduces corrosion and wear, is suitable for low-sulfur diesel fuels and is tested compatible with turbochargers. The Liqui-Moly Super Diesel Additive is suitable for all diesel engines in commercial and passenger vehicles, construction machinery and stationary engines. Outstandingly suitable for preserving engines, even during long periods of non-use under extreme conditions.

B :sun:

I am a casual visitor here, checked in to see if my sticky fuel gauge (2006 car) was a common thing. I have been using Diesel Kleen I think (grey bottle) but will try some of the recommended ones, unless someone says DK would have fixed it (and it has not) i.e. I need to try something else.Bruce W.

I think a sticky fuel gauge is due to diesel bug in your tank. Use special biocide to kill it off.

Chevron diesel causes my fuel gauge to malfunction, Husky diesel doesn't. Try a different fuel brand. Husky, Co-op on the Island, PetroCanada all are good fuels.