TO Ed

Two Part Aluminium Clamp To Hold Strut Shaft

42 posts in this topic

Does anyone have this special tool that they can lend or sell to me? It is the one that evilution shows on their website for changing the front suspension. It is special tool part no. 451 589 00 63 00. I'll try the dealer tomorrow to see if they carry it but somehow I doubt that they do. I'm replacing the front struts/springs and I can't keep the shaft from spinning. I've already tried the wood tool that somewhere here suggested but the shaft still spins. I've also tried using 4 vise grips on the shaft but it still spins. The nut is really corroded on the top of the shaft. I tried drilling out the shaft where it enters the nut. Also tried a 7 mm hex key in the top of the shaft but it is too corroded to use. I also tried heating it with a torch but nothing appears to work. I finally drilled out the cup that holds the top of the shaft onto the unibody assembly but I don't want to do that for the other side. I will also need this tool to tighten on the new strut.Any suggestions would be welcome.

I soaked mine in penetrating fluid for a while and then heated it and used an impact on it and they came off. All I can say is when you get yours off LOTS of anti seize for the next time!!

I soaked mine in penetrating oil for a couple of weeks and also used heat but didn't have impact tools. I have just returned from princess auto with impact tools. Also ordered the special tool from MB which should arrive tomorrow. I will try the other side tomorrow. After I am finished I will have the special tool for loan if anyone needs it.I doubt there will be a next time but the antiseize is a good suggestion.

top nut torque is only 45 Nm IIRC.anti-seize not recommended nor needed.the 2 piece clamp works perfect, did both my cars this past year without issues.penetrating oil and let it soak for a while. all the top nuts came off without problems.

Edited by cruise_carter

First I tried the impact tools that I got from Princess Auto. Hammered away for a very long time. No luck with that approach.Then I got the two piece aluminium clamp from MB. Attached it to the strut (not too much pressure needed on the four 7 mm hex bolts that hold it on) and attached a very large adjustable wrench to the clamp. Used a half inch wrench and metric socket on the nut at the top of the strut and used a great deal of force (using a cheater bar) to loosen the nut. I couldn't have removed the nut without the MB special tool. It also made removal of the smaller nut (under the large nut) easier. Note: You will also need spring compressors to safety remove old springs and to install new. This is done while the springs/struts are off the car so that helps. This job took me over 16 hours not including shopping for parts. Most of this time was spent trying to get the rustly nuts off the top of the struts. If I had to do it again today, it would likely take about 6 hours.Parts were likely very corroded due to the excessive salt used on Toronto roads. The car is 7 and a half years old and has 149,000 km on it. Also replaced the rear shocks/springs. That job took about 6 hours. I had a helper for this job which was useful in the removal of the rear springs. Rear is now 2 inches higher.Ride quality has improved tremendously!

I tried everything I know and can but no luck.

i called MB Barrie but no one pick up the call.

this is 451 but this thread is directly related

38E7893C-63FD-4047-BDD4-A19FABB8E609.jpeg

Edited by dalplex

bit of heat and a good impact gun 

if that doesnt work...

lots of heat ..and a good impact gun ..but be prepared to install new mounts and caps if you try lots of heat

if youre installing new struts just go ahead and vice grip the shaft then impact

Edited by LooseLugNuts

On 10/15/2012 at 6:34 PM, TO Ed said:

First I tried the impact tools that I got from Princess Auto.

no surprise there

their tools are craptastic

I made the tool you are asking about. A square lump of aluminium and bored a hole through it then cut in half, drilled and tapped 4 holes to squeeze the shaft with, works well. Not sure if 451 struts are the same dia. or not...?

I'm directly across the lake from you, pefferlaw.

5 minutes ago, Willys said:

I made the tool you are asking about. A square lump of aluminium and bored a hole through it then cut in half, drilled and tapped 4 holes to squeeze the shaft with, works well. Not sure if 451 struts are the same dia. or not...?

I'm directly across the lake from you, pefferlaw.

do not mind buying from you if possible.

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

bit of heat and a good impact gun 

if that doesnt work...

lots of heat ..and a good impact gun ..but be prepared to install new mounts and caps if you try lots of heat

if youre installing new struts just go ahead and vice grip the shaft then impact

Tried vice grip. Spin.

Not trying heat yet.

1 minute ago, dalplex said:

do not mind buying from you if possible.

I'm not selling it, it is very useful. Sorry....You also require a very large adjustable to be able to hold onto it.

This 10.78 usd shaft collar might work too but not ship to private address.

B35840A3-BD3A-44EF-A2D1-3477C8EEE5A4.gif

Edited by dalplex

You have another option if you wish, split the nut and carefully remove it from shaft and then buy new nut.  Just a thought?

If you have a cut off wheel in a dremel that may work and far quicker than destroying the shaft etc beating it to death...?  It will take some skill.

1 minute ago, dalplex said:

This 10.78 usd shaft collar might work too but not ship to private address.

B35840A3-BD3A-44EF-A2D1-3477C8EEE5A4.gif

You can't hold onto that either, it needs to be a square.

9 minutes ago, Willys said:

You have another option if you wish, split the nut and carefully remove it from shaft and then buy new nut.  Just a thought?

If you have a cut off wheel in a dremel that may work and far quicker than destroying the shaft etc beating it to death...?  It will take some skill.

Thought about It but will pay 120 to xbay before attempt.

Do you have an air compressor and air gun ratchet 1/2" ...?   IF not you are going to have a hell of a time undoing that nut even with tool.

I have electric one, claim to be 400 ft lbs. Not as powerful as 650 ft lbs air tool.

The problem is the holding power. Losing can be a break bar.

I agree.

Had worked on a ball joint press in. 

Spent 8 hours with a tired tool but took only 2 minutes after replacing with a better rated tool( the only one among 5-6 of them)