TO Ed

Two Part Aluminium Clamp To Hold Strut Shaft

42 posts in this topic

map gas torch...heat the nut

get new upper mount and cap if damaged from heat

ive never seen a strut yet that i couldnt hold with a tight visegrips but i use that as last resort...move the foam bumper down grab it as high as possible further up than any part that will travel past the strut seal....make sure vice grips have clean dry jaws with good teeth

i never liked pipe wrench..they are awful hard to catch a grip on hard polished rods

Will go with xbay 120 on Monday. still waiting dealer call me back. If they do not or do not have.

Already tried vide grip, probably had damaged the rod.

Torch might damage the bearing.

I do not mind buying a new struts assembly, but can not find anyone selling.

Edited by dalplex

I made my strut clamp out of hardwood. 

C72B3C55-8A71-4977-97C5-BD99B2987BC0.jpeg

Has served me well for nearly two decades. 

Can be lead lined if deemed necessary to improve friction but pine resin is fine as long as top strut nut is not rusted solid. 

Forgot to mention the 18 mm hole is drilled at an angle such that tool fits between spring windings. 

Also this ingenious tool does not require any pipe wrench or other tool. 

Thanks.

I would copy your concept with your permission if I had hard wood on hand.

I may try aluminum if I had access of solid block.

I ordered the 27 split collar and will see what it does.

IF you think you have damaged the shaft  can you take a picture of it and also exactly where it's damaged?  IF it is in the stroke of the strut you may as well cut the shaft and buy new struts if that is a possibility. Check around for local wreckers as they may have good used struts. Is highway 9 auto wreckers still open? If so ask them and get them to search their network. OR, easiest solution, talk to Glenn, Smart142 here as he may just have what you are looking for....parts wise.  I still say if possible splitting the nut would be the easiest solution and then buy new nut from either dealer or bolts are us type store. Brafasco...?
Get in touch with Glenn....and see what a used set of struts are worth, may be a great option? 

You'll need a good pipe wrench to grip that collar and then hope it doesn't destroy it while holding on to it.  
OR any machine shop should have a chunk of square alluminium that they would sell you to allow you to make the tool. Then it's just a matter of boring the correct sized hole to allow the two halves to clamp strongly onto shaft without harming it.  The same machine shop would probably bore the hole for you...?  Just a thought.    IF you are in a great rush that is....

2 hours ago, Willys said:

IF you think you have damaged the shaft  can you take a picture of it and also exactly where it's damaged?  IF it is in the stroke of the strut you may as well cut the shaft and buy new struts if that is a possibility. Check around for local wreckers as they may have good used struts. Is highway 9 auto wreckers still open? If so ask them and get them to search their network. OR, easiest solution, talk to Glenn, Smart142 here as he may just have what you are looking for....parts wise.  I still say if possible splitting the nut would be the easiest solution and then buy new nut from either dealer or bolts are us type store. Brafasco...?
Get in touch with Glenn....and see what a used set of struts are worth, may be a great option? 

You'll need a good pipe wrench to grip that collar and then hope it doesn't destroy it while holding on to it.  
OR any machine shop should have a chunk of square alluminium that they would sell you to allow you to make the tool. Then it's just a matter of boring the correct sized hole to allow the two halves to clamp strongly onto shaft without harming it.  The same machine shop would probably bore the hole for you...?  Just a thought.    IF you are in a great rush that is....

might as well save your breath

this person is dead set on using some kind of magic tool

something does not look right with this pic.    mabey i am just used to hoe the 450 looks.

did you already remove something?

1 person likes this

It should fall out now so to speak...now come the spring compressor issue.....strong hose clamps work in a pinch, I use 6 for each spring, cheap and dangerous!...lol

1 person likes this

I'm pretty sure I used clamps on the fronts......but I'll see.....  I will be going in to swap out a brand new set for my used set sometime during the winter months.  That wreck I bought had brand new struts on it, so I'm taking advantage of that...lol

Edited by Willys