Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psmarts

Can A 451 Use Size 145/65 R15 Tires In The Front?

6 posts in this topic

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the Smart 451 can use 145/65 R15 tires in the front. I know this size is for the older 450 models, but some people have told me they've used the 145/65 R15 on the front of their 451. I'm looking for a set of snow tires and wheels and it seems to be a little easier to get the 145/65 R15. The the sets that have the 155/60 R15 as front tire sizes are snapped up quickly (unless they are priced really high). Even if the 451 can use the 145/65 R15 size in the front, will it result in poorer driving experience? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

You can put 145s on the front of your 451. Skinnier tires will give you more traction in snow but not on dry or just wet pavement. Going 145 will also give better mileage but increase understeer and reduce stability in crosswinds. To counteract those negative effects, add 25-30mm spacers to widen the track.

Also... don't mix brands. Get the same brand/model for front and back

All in all, you're better off IMHO to keep looking for stock size snowies. You only need new ones every four years or so, right? EXAMPLE

Bil :sun:

I also run 145/65 on all 4 for my snowies. Even though I am in Vancouver where good winter-biased all seasons would be a better choice, I get out of town a lot and go up our local mountains a lot for recreation, so I went with true snow tires.No problems, I do have 25mm spacers on the rear to take the track out a bit. Frankly, I can't feel a handling difference that can't be attributed to the tire, not the size. I did notice that when turning hard on snow (in a big empty parking lot for experimental purposes) with my first set of snow tires in the OEM sizes, the rear would always break traction first, now with the narrower rears it seems better balanced. That is with no throttle, give it some power and of course the rear goes first. Without a doubt on dry or wet clean pavement wider is better, with snow, leaves, loose gravel, mud etc a narrow tire will dig down to the good surface underneath. That is assuming there is a hard surface within reach, the off-road crowd often has to float on a considerable depth of soft crap and wider tires are better. Doesn't really apply to a smart car.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found this interesting. My 451 has the design 1 alloy wheels shown here...

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...heels&mod=1087

The front rims are 4.5" in width and therefore according to the table here...

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...wheels&mod=585

The minimum front tyre width would be 145mm and maximum 175mm with the ideal being 155mm or 165mm.

I have 145mm fitted to mine instead of the 155mm fitted as standard but this table proves its ok.

I did wonder why some 450s had 145mm fitted as standard but this is because in those cases they had narrower rims then my 451s 4.5" to begin with see here...

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...wheels&mod=513

Did some googling and this is the best reason I can find why the minimum and maximum tyre sizes for a particular rim are not "ideal".

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ch...rim-size-chart

"For example, appropriate tire widths for 6.0" rim are: 175 mm, 185 mm, 195 mm and 205 mm. The minimum tire width 175 mm designates the safe tire width, 185mm and 195 mm are ideal tire widths and 205 mm is the maximum tire width. The maximum tire width is not ideal because the tire tread is wider than the inside rim bead."

In my case the minimum 145 mm tyre widths fitted to the 4.5" rims are the safe tyre width.

Edited by SmartMan