Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bessy

Anyone Used Seafoam In Their Cdi?

14 posts in this topic

In my search for a local dealer of "LiquiMoly" Injector Cleaner, I kept getting the normal "We sell Lucas for that" Then one guy told me about Seafoam, so I've been doing some reseach and first off..I'm not going to follow those you-tube videos of guys putting it in vaccuum lines of their Civics and Subarus and blowing white smoke everywhere, that looks like trouble plus doesn't carbon build-up help our FE?. I was thinking of following the instructions and adding it to the fuel and abit to the crankcase just before an oil/filter change. There is an instruction that says for fast diesel injector cleaning fill the fuel filter with Seafoam and start the car...sounds interesting to me, but my filter isn't due till next July.

I have used seafoam in my "wee smartie" as a pre-oil-change "flush" as they describe. I'm a believer. Not every time, maybe every 3rd oil change. Never tried the fuel filter thing but I think that's a bit of over-kill so I wouldn't do that myself.Are you having a specific problem or symptom that you are trying to fix with these additives? Bil :sun:

Iv'e used it in my big diesel truck, I found sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't in the 3.6 liter engine. I was told these smarts with their CDI technology would not ever need it and can't get the fuel systems gummed up like on older throttle body type injection does.It's 100% pure petrolium btw.

I just added some to the crankcase oil a few days ago. I will change my oil this week. I was a bit apprehensive but there appears to have been some early engine failures therefore I am changing the oil more often and now trying this additive. It will take a much larger sampling to be conclusive - though it is a start.

Lacquer deposits ("varnish" in gassers) can occur [i wanted to say, "will occur"] over time even in this very efficient common rail injected engine.

High compression ratios, fine tolerances, super high pressure injection, the fact that the oil is used as a coolant as well as a lubricant, all these factors mean fuel by-products can be converted and deposited as a hard coating of lacquer.

Buildup of these deposits on piston rings, cylinder heads, injector orifices and other components reduce engine performance, causing poor fuel consumption, power loss, tailpipe smoke etc.

Periodic use of an additive like Seafoam a few hundred driven km prior to an oil change to dissolve these deposits, or use of an additive Like LiquiMoly Super Diesel Additiv at each fill-up, will help keep your engine internally clean.

I know that MB officially advises that you shouldn't use any additives in our beloved CDi, but especially for low quality pump-diesel, "short-trippers", remapped engines, and those producing excessive smoke or other symptoms, certain additives are a safe and helpful option. MY OPINION... YMMV!

Using these products shouldn't take the place of a proper mechanical inspection if you think your engine is misbehaving, but using them might save you some big shop charge$ if they rectify a minor condition.

Bil :sun:

There's some concern with poor idle in our car, smart142 suggested I swap #1 and #3 injector and use some Injector Cleaner. Our car is a short trip car with a remap. I know short trips are bad, but unavoidable when work is only 15km each way. I went ahead and added half the can of Seafoam to the tank (full) and 1/4 to the crankcase (will change oil+filter within 500km) I'll add the rest of the car in with the next fill up.I did research and Seafoam is basically Diesel Fuel, Paint Thinner and Rubbing Alcohol.

Bread is basically water, milk and flour. Just sayin'... ;)

As with most stuff, use Seafoam according to directions. If it's a serious injector cleaning you're after LiquiMoly makes Diesel Purge.

Posted Image

B :sun:

Here's one of my trucks injectors with a year of seafoam use, and it still needed to be removed and cleaned in the labI think Seafoam is good, but not a magic solution.But at least it's not snake oil like many additives out there.

post-3704-1350538114_thumb.jpg

post-3704-1350538137_thumb.jpg

post-3704-1350538152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coast Steve

I mentioned I did this by accident when cleaning my EGR and after that it is how I cleaned my EGR from then on until I removed it. In my case the first time I was wiggling around with a screwdriver getting as much junk as possible out, and the cartridge popped partway out, I wound up using vice grips with the jaws taped up to prevent scratching to twist it slightly and remove it. This is how I removed it after that, the twisting broke it loose from the carbon and then the cartridge could be removed easily. I am sure Tolsen's solution is more elegant and correct, but if you need to my way works as well. Make sure you get the cartridge back in the correct orientation though as it does seem to cause problems if it is off ( or there was just something else I jostled when I had problems with mine the first time, and after reorienting it jiggled back into place )

I hav used sea foam in my cdi. I get a consistent 4 liter per hundo k at about 105k per hr. I picked up my cdi from a ol chap who ran it about 10k a day every once in a while. It was not running very well. Sea foam has made my smarty purr. I use it in all my 2 stroke 4 stroke engines. Seafoam improves performance no doubt. It was developednbybthe us military. I hav heard small engine repair shops use it first and charge peeps 50 buks saying yer carb was plugged. It works. I don't car want its made of. Beer is yeast water and sugar lol. Cheers

If you run it straight to clean injectors etc make sure you add some lube to it! Two stroke oil or something that will burn but help lubricate cause alcohol is very dry. Even the LuquiMoly is kinda dry stuff and could use a bit of lube (according to the injector and pump rebuilder I use). I will run some through the crankcase as soon as I get around to replacing the oil pan (for a drain plug and larger sump).I love their transtune, it has saved a couple of transmissions for me so far and really works. Smells like pure brake cleaner spray!