Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Front Engine Mount

22 posts in this topic

Snapped a pic of the front engine mount when I was beneath the car last week. For those who have seen this on their own car, does this look normal to you? I'm thinking it looks kind of squished down or something...?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bil :sun:

Bil,It's easy to lower the front of the engine to get a better look.See my wiki on alternator replacement.I don't think you will even have to remove the wheel or arch liner, none of them should interfere with lowering the front.You will have to take off the belt guard, should be able to do it from below.I recommend putting the bolt in the other way when you put it back together, to make it easier to take apart next time.As to your picture, the red on the rubber leads me to believe the centre bolt or bushing is corroded.Other then that, from the angle of your photo it looks o.k.Any play or noises?Canman

I wondered if the red colouration suggested something wrong with the rubber, but metallic corrosion makes sense. Lowering the engine, even the simple way in your very useful WIKI, is too much for me anymore, I'm afraid. I can shoot some corrosion protection up there though. Something organic and safe for the rubber.

No weirdness going on - it just looked funny to me.

Cheers,

Bil :sun:

Rubber looks like it has cracked or split. Your mount certainly looks squashed. Perhaps it is time to renew all three?Do you get lots of engine/ clutch vibration when setting off uphill?

The other two are fine for now but I am thinking of renewing this "squashed-looking" one, but haven't decided yet just how I'm going to do that. Had thought of injecting it with polyurethane (done this sort of thing before), but then I saw this nifty little kit and it got my wheels turning in a different direction.

Posted Image

B :sun:

insets i think would be a great idea , but it looks like none are made for the smart at this time.

dont the 450 an 451 use the same front motor mount ? or is that just the poly 1 that makes it the same?

Bill, your front engine mount look not that bad. Little bit collapsed but still good enough to do the job a lot of KM. Do not worry about the small surface cracks. ;)

I have a noise from this part...Like a "squick"Is it ok if i put some wd-40 or rubber lubricant on this mount or i have to change it ?I have only 47500km on my 2006.

Try giving it a squirt. It may or may not silence the "squick"- could the sound be coming from somewhere else? The front A-arm bushings are a commonly reported souce of this type of noise. Please let us know the result.Bil :sun:

All the front arm bushing are new by MB.I am sure about the "squick" from the front mount. I will try to put some silicone tomorrow morning;)

After lube...I always have the same noise:(I think i need to change this part.Is it : Q0003077V010000000 or 0005811V007000000Someone knows where i can find a DIY ?Thx;)

After lube...I always have the same noise:(

I think i need to change this part.

Is it : Q0003077V010000000 or 0005811V007000000

Someone knows where i can find a DIY ?

Thx;)

I'm sure Smart will have them. The second part number is for the OM660 diesel engine. First part number is for M160 petrol engine. Both are the forward engine mounts.

http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/part__F_M_..._402_/01_010__2

Posted Image

Forward engine mount from a petrol Smart 450.

These mounts are available aftermarket. Google the short number without the Q and the zeros at the end, i.e. 0005811V007 if you are after the mount for the Cdi.

I think this may a quite awkward job bt haven't done it myself. If you have a chance to make notes or even take photos when you do the job, it will be very much appreciated!Bil :sun:

I think this may a quite awkward job bt haven't done it myself. If you have a chance to make notes or even take photos when you do the job, it will be very much appreciated!Bil :sun:

Ok;)

The other two are fine for now but I am thinking of renewing this "squashed-looking" one, but haven't decided yet just how I'm going to do that. Had thought of injecting it with polyurethane (done this sort of thing before), but then I saw this nifty little kit and it got my wheels turning in a different direction.

Posted Image

B :sun:

I wonder if anyone has tried injecting polyurethane sealant into the mounts? It may work but could increase noise and vibrations. The only sure way to find out if this will work is try.

I have cartridge of black Sikaflex EBT, a German made polyurethane sealant and adhesive. Bonds to most materials as per info found on the web.

I wonder if anyone has tried injecting polyurethane sealant into the mounts?

I did this with the rear and side mounts a few years ago and have been happy with the result. The front mount is more awkward to reach with a caulking gun, and I've been pondering a shaped insert to fit into the lower vacancy - jack up the engine to take the strain off the rubber mount, then tap the insert in and lower the engine back down.

Advantages of this method include:

[*]no waiting for material to cure,

[*]removable if I don't like the vibration,

[*]insert can be made from different durometers ranging from very rigid to very squishy.

I have some vibration isolator material to use for a trial but haven't taken the time to go forward yet. Now the weather is cool and I don't enjoy working under the car outdoors in winter. I dearly wish I had a garage!!

Bil :senile: