Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Need Some Idea Of Market Value For My Smart

38 posts in this topic

I have to meet with an ICBC adjuster soon, likely to discuss the value of my car that was sandwiched in a rear-ender today. If anyone has seen some higher km examples for sale online, I would appreciate a pointer to where it is.My car is a loaded pulse convertible, with A/C, heated seats, pollen filter, softouch, sound upgrade, luggage cover, heated/electric mirrors. The factory cruise control has been activated. All help would be appreciated!

I got rear ended last year. I managed my own repair and saved big bucks.FYI I have a set of new panels for your cabrio.They will probably put a value of around $5000 on your smart.

That's what I figured. That's OK. We may haggle a bit. The next step will be to choose a replacement. I think we may go for another type of cheap car, new. Maybe a Fiat, maybe a Fit, or....?

$5K sounds about in the ballpark.And didn't you just buy new A-arms and other bits and pieces for that car?Bil :sun:

Tires, A-arms, oil filters etc. The white car can use them too! Eventually.

Agree with $5K value, although you'd have likely beaten that in a private sale, given the maintenance schedule history and all the upgrades.I've seen ads, including this web site, for '05 Smarts being offered at higher prices.Good luck.

Edited by smartnhappy

I'm beating the bushes for a good diesel smart locally or semi-locally, maybe Roy will sell his Canada 1 coupe.... :D

Mike, so sorry to hear the sad news. Thank goodness your daughters were not seriously harmed. I remember when you first reported your first ding on the tridion caused by someone's careless door opening. I ached for you when I saw you hugging your car at the salvage yard. I know a postman in Victoria with a Grandstyle that he's been trying to sell. He's got several other vehicles but doesn't care if it sells or not. Has never gone to this site and has had nobody interested in even looking at it. It's just come off extended warranty at just 160,000 kms and TPM performed about $2400.00 in work recently. He doesn't even know what it's worth-figures 3-4 thousand? Its not a cabrio though.

Hmmm, interesting, those do have sunroofs. Too bad the km is so high. Has it been well maintained?

I actually know nothing about it. Apparently, it does an 80 km return trip to Sooke Mon-Fri. I've seen it drive by and know where he parks it but have never viewed this car. TPM has done all his servicing. He's not computer savy but if you like I can put you guys in touch. With your permission I would swap phone numbers for you both.Too bad I still love mine, all highway kms only. Just at 59,600. TPM does an A or B service annually and in between a lube-oil-filter 6 months after. Car only runs 3-4 thousand kms between oil changes. It only runs between Victoria and Port Alberni or Saanichton to Victoria. Never has parked on the street. Always underground. Sometimes I think of buying one new car to replace my '06 Smart and '80 Chevette(245,000km-just under your Smart!). The little Smart mostly sits around as the four seater is more practical at times.

I think I'd prefer to pay a bit more for one with lower km, for example M-B in Vancouver has a loaded passion cabrio with under 60K km. It's a possibility. If I become interested in the grandstyle I would let you know.

My white BRABUS is going to have to fill the void for a while, a task it's very well suited to do!

link to Vancouver Car

Thanks,

... or spend the 5K to get the 404 on the road? I mean, you talk about it all the time :P

:sun:

Its restoration is going to cost $35K, not $5K!

And I doubt you want it to be a daily driver ( frequent maybe but I am sure you will want to be able to choose the days you drive it). I am sure you will find a car that is right for you at the right price.

Exactly. I am considering a cabriolet smart in Vancouver; I will contact M-B shortly.

... in Vancouver has a loaded passion cabrio with under 60K km ...

link to Vancouver Car

Lovely piece of art it is but, 58 tSEK :o ... anyhow, why

does this color combo make it look stronger and bigger

than opposit combo (black panels on silver tridion) ?

Good "hunting" for next smart 450 CDI :)

Yours, KfL (The almost totally unhumble)

Thanks for that....yes the price is too high, it's a Merc dealer. We probably will get a new Fiat 500 instead.

There's probably tonnes of good options if you *have the time* to look for them. Otherwise, the Fiesta sounds like a longer term saver on fuel that has more than two seats....I can't remember what you did not like about the Fit? I loved it's manual tranny. Was it the heated seats things again?I know you'll already have an answer on this one, but the new Dodge Dart *looks cool*.What about a used Suzuki SX4 hatch? Ultra reliable, but not 4.9 on the highway.....

Oh, and with the GST/HST voucher, I still think you'll come in over 6k.... ie: $5500 to $6000, plus the voucher.

I think he will be lucky to get $3500. The car has over 230,000 km on it. It has passed its best before date -- the fact that it was running perfectly fine is irrelevant to an insurance company. It is probably worth more dead than alive. Hope I'm wrong.

Still waiting for the call, though I do know it's at the ICBC salvage yard in Langford, not a claims centre.....Cute, when people talk about me in the third person in my own thread :D

Still waiting for the call, though I do know it's at the ICBC salvage yard in Langford, not a claims centre.....Cute, when people talk about me in the third person in my own thread :D

Ha, ha. You know that I was replying to red pxl without using the stupid quotes. Over at ICBC they are referring to you in the 3rd person as in "How little can we pay this guy?"

I think he will be lucky to get $3500. Hope I'm wrong.

Good job you hoped that, because ICBC gave me double your estimate!