Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Visiting Flying Tiger For Service - Wanna Meetup?

19 posts in this topic

I'm coming to FastEddy's in Richmond for a little car service. 14431 Westminster Hwy.Hoping to run into some other smarties for a late lunch. At 1pm, Eddy will start work on my "wee smartie" and looks like Rick "lebikerboy" will be able to meet me there. We'll say HI to Eddy and then let him do his thing.Anyone else free to join us?Bil :drive:

Edited by bilgladstone

I may be able to attend, my work is based close by, but I work all over the lower mainland and might be out on service calls. Rather unpredictable, if I can make it I will, but I can't promise anything.

Keepin' it casual, Alex. It would be great to see you but... che sera!B :sun:

Some of the long-interval stuff, Mike. This time, ball joints and brake fluid. Next time (not sure when; probably not 'til after he gets back from the Macau Grand Prix) belts and coolant.B :drive:

I wouldn't mind meeting some other smarts. I have been busy and sort of forgot about my planning an event. I'm not sure if I'm free that day but if I am I might stop by. I also wouldn't mind checking out Flying Tiger/Fast Eddies :)

I will be happy to see everybody who can be there. But I want to make the point that Eddy is not expecting a bunch of people to show up and interrupt his work day. This is just a convenient place to meet, not a tour of Flying Tiger.Bil :sun:

Sorry I knew what you meant. I just would like to check out where it is. I'd like to go there some time and it would be handy to know where it is and what the place looks like ;)

In order to make this a down-and-back in one day, I'm going to get to Eddy's earlier in the day. So if we can meet at 12 instead of 1, that will be better for me. I hope others can accommodate this time change. It will let me head home a little earlier.Bil :drive:

Time change noted. I'd like to finally meet you, Bill!Perhaps a very brief tour of Flying Tiger for Michelle? No, we won't take up his entire day, but Michelle should know how much better Eddy is for service and repair than the dealer. As should many Vancouver smarties. But not so many that I have to schedule a month in advance. Maybe he could make a policy that only CsC members get to enjoy his services?

There are a couple of lunch spots within a few blocks, IIRC. So... meet at Flying Tiger just before Eddy leaves for his one hour break at 12 and then off to sit down over coffee and/or lunch. Back to FT after 1 with me if you like. Sooner he is done the work, the sooner I can head home.

I regret I am cutting it really fine as regards cash, but maybe you would like to invite Eddy to join in for lunch? I'm not sure of his plans... it would be polite ask.

Bil :drive:

P.S. still haven't received the endoscope yet - it should get here Monday according to the shipment tracker. If, once I've inspected it, and if it actually has the 8mm video cam as is written in the specs, I will bring it along.

Update on endoscope:There are two optional size camera heads, 16mm and 5.5mm for the same SKU. I was assured I was getting the 5.5 (despite saying 8mm in literature available online) but it got here today, and... of course! - 16mm. So I returned it to the PA store in Kelowna. No refund on the shipping of course. Boo!B :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Bringing a few little smart-related bits & pieces to share around. Also some 341ml samples of Okanagan artisanal "soft" (non-alcoholic) sparkling cider. Seeya tomorrow!

Had a great visit with Rick lebikerboy, a gracious and friendly guy. Sorry to have missed others.Regarding the car service:The Good: ball joints replaced - the front end is tight and cluck-free once more, brakes are solid and reliable, shifting is smooth and crispThe (very) Bad: Uh-oh! Clutch fork is badly worn where the actuator rod presses into the socket in the fork end. May not last much longer - a $3,000 repair is in the not-too-distant future. That unfortunate eventuality could mean saying good-bye to me "wee smartie" as there is little possibility that I could afford such an expense.Creative thinking mode initiated as regards this increasingly common clutch fork issue. Eddy had a car in the shop whose fork had a hole punched entirely through! Said he's seen three just the same in as many weeks. B :sun:

When subsisting on a disability pension of less than $11,000 p.a., talk like that goes in one ear and out the other.

No CPP? You're not old enough for OAP yet are you? That is a damned tight budget.

Tight as a frog's sphincter ;) I'll start CPP next July when I hit *choke,cough* 60. But it won't be much anyway, as most of my working life I was self-employed and the own-contributions plan wasn't available for most of it.