Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blenders

Hi From Tillsonburg On

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!Started looking for a commuter vehicle (20000km/yr) and came across some 2005 smart fortwo cdi's. That kinda mileage is really tempting and the prices seem decent. Looking for advice on specifics to look for during test drive etc. the ones im looking at are around 50-80k kms and I intend to put on about 20k/yr (including ontario winter driving) any advice?Thanks,Ben

Hi Ben, there are lots of tips in the Buyer's Guide forum on what to look for.A quick recapitulation is: oil leaks from intercooler (LH side of engine, above transaxle), rusty reluctor rings on rear axles, inspection of plugs on SAM/fusebox unit for evidence of overheating/corrosion, check of maintenance indicator to ensure services have been reasonable (written FSH is preferable), no suspension or steering squeaks, crisp shifting, straight tracking with hands off the wheel, even tire wear.

Also note, with a 2006 model you get all the fuel mileage good with slight add ons of improved parts versions.You live in Tillsonburg which if my Geography is right you're kind of close by to London/Lambeth and Smart142 (Glenn)...He's a great smart car doctor in the area. Smart142 might even know of some in the area that are available, I would consider sending him a private message.

Hi Ben! Welcome to the club!

As ''Bessy'' has suggested it would probably be worth the drive to London to learn what to look for when buying a smart.

In fact I have a smart for sale that has a new rebuilt engine that would be perfect for commuting.....click here.

Send a pm(or call) and we can set up a time.

:welcome: to the club Ben. +1 on Bessy's comment about contacting smart142.I am in Belmont and both my smarts get all their servicing done by smart142 (aka Uncle Glenn). He and his staff get an A+ on their service and knowledge on smarts.Ron :bike:

Hi,Welcome to the club.Be sure to buy a set of winter tires.The all seasons, just won't be good enough.Canman

Autotrader Link

This is the one I intend on looking at. Seems a decent price(thoughts?), fairly low kms, and new all seasons/ winter tires (i intended on getting winters already). Speaking of winter, how does ontario winter treat these smarts? Might not be able to have it in the garage this winter, in which case should I look into heating options?

Test drove one in London at Target Auto yesterday that has ~80k on it and it seemed nice, was my frist smart experience. Was pleasantly surprised by the space (Im just over 6ft so I was curious).

Had a look at your post 'smart142' and it looks nice but perhaps a little too 'tricked out' for me ;) for now this would just be my drive to work and back car (which is currently from T-burg to London). Perhaps once I get into the smart hobby I would look for more but right now price is king over options. ('cept maybe a tach would be nice but Im sure id get used to shifting by ear again) Used to drive an '89 nissan sentra 4spd so used to manual steering and not having a tach.

Are the 2006 improvements significant enough that I shouldnt bother with '05s?

Thanks for all your welcomes/comments, its amazing how much I have learned from one night of browsing the forum.

Hey Ben,That's the same year and colour combination that I have! I bought it with 94,000 kms on it.....it now has 162,500 kms. It's an all year round car and while I was employed, I used it back and forth from Belmont to Woodstock on the 401. Never had any troubles with rain or snow. (winter tires are a must!!)For the winter, I have an in-cabin heater and an oil pan heater (see smart142 for the oil pan heater or other suggestions). You are welcome to drop in anytime to look at the set-up I have. Feel free to contact me if you wish to drop in. I am semi-retired and have time on my hands. It has served me well so far. Ron :bike:

Unless the Pure on Autotrader comes with a year or two bumper to bumper warranty or you can get it for significantly less than the asking price, I personally would spend the extra couple hundred dollars to have a car with a rebuilt engine, alternator and starter.If the price of the 2006 puts it out of your price range, buying a used smart cdi may be a very bad idea for you.

I agree, buying a used cdi is a crapshoot, because the engines can be fragile if not maintained very well.

A little update to my introductory post. Once life made some time to get back on the used car hunt I found Maxwell S Alec (guess the middle name ;) ) A 2006 Passion, silver with black accent with 98000km on it. Just got it back from a 'B' service with Smart142. Now with the proper amount of oil in it I was glad to recieve a clean bill of health. Looking forward to piling the kilometers on it for the commute.

Just got it back from a 'B' service with Smart142. Now with the proper amount of oil in it I was glad to recieve a clean bill of health.

Yup! Ben lucked out. A very clean, good running smart. A custom ordered passion with the black tridion.Mechanically sound with a new intercooler and maybe turbo. Only thing missing would be the I/C scoop and shroud.Enjoy! :drive: