Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miker

Oil Filter

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I looked in the HOWTO's and saw the thread on oil changes by Shung (most of the images are missing now, though). I've sucked all the oil out of my car and am ready to pull the oil filter off. I've found what I think is the cover for the paper filter (under the motor at the rear, slightly to the passenger side). It is bell shaped with a bit approx. 1 inch hex nut end on it. I've tried getting this off, but it won't budge. I swear I'm putting close to 200 ft-lbs on it and it doesn't move. I thought I'd ask the experts. a) is this the oil filter cover? B) how the heck do you get it off???

The thing I'm turning looks exactly like the thing the guy in this thread http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread....r-CDI-Oilchange identifies at the filter.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by miker

Yes that is it, it is a 27 mm head, jack the car a tad and use a breaker bar.

It has an O-ring seal, so it doesn't have to be nearly that tight! It was overtightened, but you don't have to.

Thanks both of you. I'd measured it and figured it must be metric and got 26-28mm range. Typical 'technicians' must have done the last oil change as it's on there HARD. I've got air tools, but no 27mm socket. I'll pick one up tomorrow. In the meantime, I've put oil in and will use it for a week or two just to flush the system a bit.If anyone is interested, I used a little hand pump from Lordco designed for removing brake fluid and such. I had to use two sizes of tubing to downsize it correctly to fit the dip stick tube. It takes a fair bit of effort and you have to fill it about 5 times, but it gets the job done. Despite being listed as about $80 on the shelf, by the time it goes through the computer it comes out as $27.00

27mm for cap.Here's hoping it was not cross-threaded when installed.When installing, oil the o-ring and install the cap to 25 Nm (18 ft lbs).Lots of people just use their calibrated hands to tighten but I like using a torque wrench.Let us know how you make out.Pela extractor gets the job done quick and mess-free.Dale

@ miker or anyone else: if the cap is cross-threaded or otherwise broken, I have an OEM cap you can have for the price of pack&post.Bil :sun:

Be careful, the thing is plastic, at least mine is. PELA pump does the job but isn't quite mess free. :-( Just make sure you put the tube all the way into the dipstick tube. You will also need something to catch oil that will come out when you remove the filter. An empty 2 lb margarine tub should work fine.

I have two sizes of Lisle oil filter wrenches for the different cars I service. I think they were about $8 each. They expand over the filter and use cam action to clamp down on it as you turn CCW to loosen, using a 3/8" ratchet (you supply). New filter only goes on hand tight.When I first got my car I got a 27 mm socket from Crappy Tire for the filter holder. It was $12.