Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lito

Rear Door/glass Rattle

13 posts in this topic

I am suffering from this (apparently famous and common) rattle, and found the following fix at the evilution site. http://www.evilution.co.uk/441

It is simple enough to fix based on instructions, and I should have it fixed in minutes. With that said, the rattle appeared as it became colder here in Ottawa, and I am wondering if while effective, this would create any problems and there is a better way to go about it.

Evilution is a fantastic resource! Unfortunately (for CDI owners) rather light on CDI-specific details, but still excellent.

I wrapped thowse points with electrician's tape years ago and haven't even thought about it since. It's a virtully permanent fix.It's and easy and effective fix, with no other implications but the restful silence ;)Bil :sun:

I had that rattle too.. It went away after I realigned my hatch, it was sitting low on it's mounts. Possibly just luck that I fixed two issues at once.

Evilution is a fantastic resource! Unfortunately (for CDI owners) rather light on CDI-specific details, but still excellent.

I do have a CDI, it just doesn't go wrong. Not to mention you all have a different emissions system to us.

Evil, the smart was not built sufficiently robust for the climate conditions and geography of The Great White North. We "happy few" must be hands-on in order to make these cars last. The cdi in Canada is not for the key-turner. It is an enthusiast's ride.Bil :sun:

That Bil, is the end reality..... except for us in the Lower Mainland who for the most part, escape the 'extreme conditions' the rest of Canada sees part of the year.Dedicated maintenance however, as proven by the likes of smart142 and other owners, will keep cars running for a long time.

Even smart142 has had cars die - needed turbos or even engines replaced.

Dedicated maintenance plus living in an un-Canada-like mild climate and highway commuting, is the best combination for longevity. That... and horseshoes up the yingyang like Mike ;)

:sun:

:hilarious: Be careful with those, Lito!!:sun:

The rattle problem happens to most of us as the car gets older or you have just bought a secondhand one.I had the problem on my secondhand 450 when I got it, and a few wraps of black tape sorted it out, though i did have to redo the tape a couple of years later as it was mangled through constant use of rear door :PI now have a 451 and they seem to have sorted this problem with a redesigned back lock, with a large rectangular rubber seal over it. Hence no rattles (so far).EDIT.....Spoke to soon, 451 tailgate rattles going over bumps in the road now, Sorted (with picture) in the message below....

Edited by Colsmart

On the 450 you do the above Evloution fix with black tape.

On the 451 you do the above blacktape fix around the rear door glass catch, but oyu have to go further.

You also have to put black tape around the lower door section catches, left and right.

I did the all three catches recently to stop rattle.....

Here is the right catch, the left catch is taped the same.....

Posted Image