Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beejum

Abs And ! (exclamation Point) Orange Lights

12 posts in this topic

2006 Pure, 36,000 kms.. winter driving conditions..The ABS and ! (exclamation point) orange lights came on after being on the road for 15 minutes. Prior to that I seemed to have standard ABS operations but uncontrolled rear-wheel slippage thereafter. Stopped, switched off, restarted after 20 - 30 minute and the two lights stayed on after starting but went out after 20 seconds. I have full braking control at all times.This has happened twice. What part got frozen?!

Agreed. There are multiple current threads on this topic with tons of information. You wont have an issue finding everything you need to know here. ...However just over 30000km seams a bit early for a broken ring no?

Edited by AHZELA

Maybe not for MTL if it was used in the winter, which is the equivalent of putting a car in the sea for a couple of months!

Many thanks, Alex, AHZELA and Mike! I'll look up other posts but, having just had a major B service from Mercedes (less than 250 kms ago) including a drain/flush of the brake system, I'm a little surprised that this wasn't picked up. On Mike's point, my smart sits on a gravel driveway year-round and does get road crap sprayed at it, so corrosion is an issue!

The other event that can trigger those lights is the failure of the brake light switch. If the lights come on again try checking to see if your brake lights come on appropriately

Thanks for all your pointers - it's been too cold and busy to get down to checking things out but today, at -20C, the smart started up well, drove roughly for 2-3 kms then the engine quit. Dead. I could coast to a safe place to try re-starting it, which it did after a minute or two. But the engine light stays on.Am I having electrics problems?Happy 2013, everyone!

I went to move mine from "out front" into the lean to last Thursday and the front wheels were frozen solid, but even in my limp mode, which has not been solved yet, it pushed the front wheels about a meter before they broke loose. I can only guess that my traction control was not working.

More likely simple corrosion of the brakes themselves. Very common when the car has sat for a while. usually easiest to break them loose going backward. Failing that rocking seems to work.

More likely simple corrosion of the brakes themselves. Very common when the car has sat for a while. usually easiest to break them loose going backward. Failing that rocking seems to work.

im having a similar problem, has anyone figured out the problem

Switching to something other than a bimetallic brake pad, like EBC ceramic or similar will stop the rusting issue.

Edited by Huronlad