Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pretty in Smart

451 Headlights

17 posts in this topic

Hello:My 2008 passion's headlights constantly burn out. When one side goes and it's replaced, within weeks the other side goes as well. I've been told it's a common problem, however they burn out so often that it's about every 6 months I'm changing the bulbs. Anything I can do or change to at least keep the bulbs going for longer so they don't drain so quicly? Just seems a little ridiculous to have burnt out bulbs that frequently.

some have had luck buying bulbs from truck stops as they are a long life an take a lot of shaking.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I experienced 3 burn lights since I bought the car just a little while back. One was a plate light and was replaced during a schedule service together with a headlight, but the third was a front parking light after the service, so I bought LEDs to replace the pair. Regrettably I don't think that there would be LED options for headlight high-low beams.As other lights let go (back lights for example) I will replace with LEDs.

Edited by Lito

err... My French is as good as my Cantonese, but google is my friend (sort of)...

Go to your dealer and ask for the kit resistances for the front headlights. I got free from Three Rivers Mercedes while I was only going to buy bulbs H7 better. I mentioned to the clerk's desk I spent several bulbs in a year. He then proposed the amendment without charge. He is son of two resistors that are incorporated slightly lower the voltage going to the bulbs. No visible use. Easy to install, although to make it free, they must be installed at the dealership.

The kit was installed in August and I have not burned blister since. Under normal circumstances I would have spent at least 2 ...

The part number for this kit is 451540 June 23 (ts el cable set). There is probably a service bulletin over there ...

So, as I understand it, dealers can supply some sort of adapter with a resistor, which lowers the voltage going to the bulb, without marked effect on the light output, which prevents early burnouts. Is this correct?

I would not want to lower light output at all. Just get LL (long life) bulbs.

So, as I understand it, dealers can supply some sort of adapter with a resistor, which lowers the voltage going to the bulb, without marked effect on the light output, which prevents early burnouts. Is this correct?

The wiring is standard on the newer cars(2011 on or something like that). Original headlights in my 2011, 34k km and still going. Operation is better than the lights in my 2005.

As David18 replied. Part number is 451 540 23 06. The kit consist of 2 resistive wires and 2 bulbs. Say that to your service advisor. Ask for his boss if he does not want to install it no charge. If not, go higher! There must be a service bulletin on that matter. It was installed on my car at no charge after stopping in a MB dealer in Trois Rivieres QC. I was just looking for more resistant bulb. Parts manager kindly offered to install that kit at no extra charge. Oh yes... I was out of warranty also...Patrice

Edited by Ofeu

Found the following here

Why are my headlights burning out quickly?

Headlamp bulbs can be sensitive to higher system voltages on cars. There is a resistance kit (A 451 540 23 06) that can be installed to reduce the voltage on the headlamps and prolong their life. Headlamps with integrated resistors have been installed in production since December 2010.

No mention that this should be free from dealers, mind.

Hello:My 2008 passion's headlights constantly burn out. When one side goes and it's replaced, within weeks the other side goes as well. I've been told it's a common problem, however they burn out so often that it's about every 6 months I'm changing the bulbs. Anything I can do or change to at least keep the bulbs going for longer so they don't drain so quicly? Just seems a little ridiculous to have burnt out bulbs that frequently.

My 2010 headlights is burn out a month ago and i take to TPM (Victoria Smart Dealer ) for replaced , i wait for 30 minutes and the manager told me everything already done and being replaced including the wiring so the bulb not gonna burn out fast in the future .. and they don't charge (free) for everything.

Yeah like one of those "the customer complains - we act" type of situations. I've only changed my own bulbs so I guess I would never get a freebie like that!

Thanks Everyone! I'll speak to MB Midtown at my next servicing about the resistant kit.

Do yourself a favour if you can and goto downtown on dundas. (unless you purchased from uptown) More knowledgable and a ton more friendly. I just got bulbs tuesday, our go about every 6 months as well. I will have to get this kit.