Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,I've noticed a small crack on my exhaust manifold while working on my car this past week. I'm aware that the gassers are plagued with crack manifold problems...anybody else experienced this with the cdi? Is welding the manifold a reasonable repair? I really don't want to spend $1500 for a new assembly. Ideas anyone?Izzy

Reading over on smartmaniacs and on Evilution suggests welding will be a temporary repair as weld in one place will pass the stress along someplace else, where it will crack again.Maybe a used manifold from a low-mileage parts car will work? Or if you are good at welding and have tricks of the trade, you might get away with it?Good luck, cousin!Bil :sun:

I'm thinking about leaving it for now...I think the only thing that it kills is my fuel mileage. I know a couple of amazing welders here at the puddle, maybe they can help me out. My welding skills sucks...On the evilution page, one guy drilled/cut to relief stress points...maybe I'll try that. But at the risk of loosing a car for a while if I fail...maybe I should just save up and pick up one from Eddy. No parts dealer anywhere near the puddle...the forgotten freezing north.Izzy

Mine is broken in half. It doesn't leak very much. I can't see it affecting performance any.Way back in the '50's(!) we used to drill. tap with a tapered tap, and screw in tapered screws to stitch the crack back together.My father had an auto engine rebuilding business.

The best way to avoid any further failure is replacing the complete turbo. It's about 1100$ if you do it yourself. It including studs, and gaskets. Yes, it's expensive but since I replaced my cracked turbo, I drove about 150000km without any turbo problem.

The best way to avoid any further failure is replacing the complete turbo. It's about 1100$ if you do it yourself. It including studs, and gaskets. Yes, it's expensive but since I replaced my cracked turbo, I drove about 150000km without any turbo problem.

Thanks for the tips Dom, I do plan on doing the work myself...I don't trust anybody to touch my car like most of the mechanics on this forum. I checked with the stealership in Kamloops and they wanted $1562.40 for the assembly and another $10.62 for the gasket...not including studs! I think Eddy in Vancouver sells the assembly for $1300ish + tax. I've found some exhaust repair putty...I figure I would just grind into the crack and apply them in-situ? If it doesn't work, then I'll remove and weld, (temporary or not). What do you think?Izzy Edited by stickman007

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt that your exhaust putty will resist to 16psi boost pressure. But if it's cheap, try it! ;)Then the problem when you weld cast iron, there is a thermal shock who make the material twist and curve. When you will put it back on the engine, there is a lot of risk that you have an exhaust leak between the cylinder head and the manifold due to twisting. If you try to weld it in place, there is a lot of chance that the temperature difference between the welding spot and the rest of the manifold create another crack that will appear just beside your welding spot. It's kind of annoying when you must repair again and again the same parts. Personally, I hate it! But if you have time... go for it Izzy! ;)N.B. If you need any advice about turbo replacement, feel free to ask! Dom

Edited by dieselkiki

Thanks guys! I was aware that it will probably come back due to the welding process... I was going to remove the assembly, prep it, and bolt it down before the welding to prevent warping. WL may have lousy mechanics, but we have welders with super powers. I didn't think the muffler cement will not hold either, but it was in my toolbox from my wrenching days, so I thought I'll give it a try, (it comes with a metal mesh that can be use to reinforce rated to 2000C). Can't loose the car for another week right now, so I will try it during my up coming long wkend.Izzy

All else fails ylu can jb weld it. Cast is tricky to weld. U may be better off to braze it