Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBestJohn

Looks Like This Is The End Of The Road For Fortwo $6500 Repairs

142 posts in this topic

Well I bought my fortwo about 13 months ago for $6000. She's a 2005 fortwo CDI and had about 68,000 km on her... I took it in to get serviced today because I was noticing some oil leakage... turns out there is a lot wrong with her...oil leak at the turbo and high pressure fuel pump replacement ($2700), Cabin filter ($118) air filter ($40) Muffler ($660) brake pads and rotor ($500) Battery ($250) Sway bar ($230) front tires ($300) BOTH rear axle tone rings ($1480)... all in it looks like about $6400.... Looks like this is a good example of where I might as well just bought it brand new 2012 model...

EDIT: For those who came looking for the video of me installing my reluctor rings here it is

Edited by TheBestJohn

Suggest you get second opinions on that stuff, cousin!

[*]oil leak at turbo could be simple "hat" seal les than $10

[*]HP fuel pump leak might just need rebuild kit, $50 parts and not need full re/re

[*]cabin filter can be left until spring pollen season

[*]air filter - yeah, you probably need that.

[*]Muffler - if @ less than 80,000km, should be free replacement under Canadian emmissions code

[*]pads & rotors - yeah, you probably need those but you can DIY for under $300

[*]battery, yeah, you probably need one but you can get one at CTC and re/re it yourself for under $150

[*]sway bar - SWAY BAR? never heard of that needing replacement. maybe just bushings. easy DIY for a fraction of that price!

[*]tires - two front tires, mounted & balanced, can be found cheaper. look in classifieds section here for deals!

[*]tone rings - pair of ABS rings can be gotten for $50-100. you have been quoted price of a pair of axle shafts. don't need to re/re the axles just to renew the rings! DIY or get your favourite independent tech to follow these instructions.

So it's possible you can knock that $6400 bill down to less than half! Do a bit of looking around and ask around some other Ottawa smarties in here for tips.

HTH,

Bil :sun:

Call Troy @ Akcent Motors 613-774-0718 after 9:00am tomorrow before the stealership touches anything!!! I just saw Troy yesterday and I promise he will be much more reasonable! All the best.

Yes I'd agree with the last two post'sDefinitely "pays" to shop around and stay away from the "stealership" if at all possible!There is a wealth of knowledge available on this GREAT forum.All the BEST with the repairs!E.B. (James)

Muffler warranty is 8 years/130,000 km. So that at least is free.Cabin filter ($118), no way, that's a $30 DIY.Battery $250, say what? The part costs $125 at full price and it's a dead easy DIY.Don't need new rear axles as Bil pointed out.So the total damage should be about half of what you were quoted, still a big hit.

The place that gave you those quotes sound fishy...sway bar replacement in a 2005 car? HP pump replacement this soon?, (ran without fuel filter? pump cavitation?). What's next? muffler bearings or headlight fluids?

Edited by stickman007

this kind of thing really burns my butt have them explained on paper the reasons that this stuff has failed and why you must go the parts replacement route. Having been in auto repair for 30 years i have learned get a few quotes from different shops and try to find the mechanic that loves smarts and knows them inside and out. there are so so many parts changed on vehicles that don't need to be it would frighten you. I am new to smarts but it won't take long to know them inside out. i will be diassembling mine in april just to learn more about them

Yep the dealership just wants to throw new parts on your can instead of fixing what is wrong. Go somewhere else if you can't do it yourself.

Any hints at what dealership this was? My suspicion is that it is the "cosmic" rather than "terrestrial" dealership (If you get what I'm saying)? Definitely talk to Troy in the morning.

Smart fortwo owner must really learn not to go to the mercedes-benz dealer for inspection, repair and diagnose their cars as possible. It's really the WORST place I know to bring your car. I'm still impress to read that some of you persist to go to the mercedes-benz dealer for any simple repairs as: Brakes, air filter, tires, turbo, battery... Believe me guy, you are better to do it yourself! You're maybe not mechnic but you will be more meticulous and professional than a lot of dealers I know. Take the time and if you need any advices, this forum is the right place to get technicals informations. There are some good knowledgeable people about smart technical here.Good luck and please, for the love of your little beast, don't go to the dealer if you can. You will save A LOT of $$$ and you will get a better service and repairs.Dom

Edited by dieselkiki

I wish to speak up in defense of my MB dealership here in saskatoon. I've found them to be courteous, honest, and accommodating, although much of that is from having taken my car in for her regular warranty service (minus oil and tranny oil changes done at home). While their shop rate is a crazy $150/hr they don't waste any time while it's in there and many of the service jobs are done in less than 30 mins, which is priced accordingly. Here in Saskatoon nobody else has the manual or wants to tackle the car without it, so only the foolish garages willing to fly blind would do work on her. So for me, the solution has been a partnership between me and my dealer to ensure my car was kept in top shape. Of course, this is just so the insurance company can total her over a broken front wheel. Sheesh. Now if only I had a cheaper source for those parts!

I was told I needed $2500 in repairs by MB Oakville over a year ago. Uncle Glenn told me I just needed a new tire! I got the new tire and took it on a 5500 km road trip through 17 states last May without any incidents. I've put about 35,000 km on it since I last had it at MB Oakville and had no problems until last night, but that doesn't appear to be related to anything they told me I needed.

Thank you all for the info! These quotes are from star motors.. As far as I'm concerned I did take good care of it. I brought it in less than 4 months ago for a bit service and none of this came up then. My major issues are the tone rings and hpfp I'm happy to hear about the alternative mechanics in the area, needless to say that this is the last time I'll be working with star motors

Do you have an ABS/ESP trouble code? If not, you don't need "tone" rings. (Reluctor rings is what everyone else calls them)You should spray them annually with a wicking antirust compound to prevent them from needing replacement in future.I agree, that long list from MB is ridiculous, the turbo and high pressure pump are both likely just a seal or tightening a fitting, the reluctor rings are readily available and replaceable by any competent shop or DIY, the rest are normal maintenance items, just overpriced.

oil leak at the turbo and high pressure fuel pump replacement ($2700), I doubt the pump needs replacement...probably just not to MB's standards. Oil leak is probably a seal but MB doesn't replace seals just whole parts.Cabin filter ($118) I bought a filter for a Honda Insight for $13 my cost ($26 yours) and installed after cutting an inch off. air filter ($40) You could blow it out with compressed air...or buy a new one and install your self for $30Muffler ($660) Emissions warrenty, or aftermarket, any budget exhaust shop could put an aftermarket on for under $200brake pads and rotor ($500) DIY with some skill for under $200 but another thing about dealer standards, you could last awhile still as long as there's no hard rings or gouges in the rotors (MB Burlington said I needed pads and rotors 10,000km ago and they still have 6/32 of pad and even wear all around) Battery ($250) Go to Crappy Tire and DIY install for $150Sway bar ($230) I'd have to see it to believe it... front tires ($300) Theres two front winters at my work for $80 each or look on kijijiBOTH rear axle tone rings ($1480) I replace these for less than a third of that... all in it looks like about $6400If you want to get your car down to Burlington Area we could talk and I could do the work for less than a quarter of that (not including the turbo, HP Pump, or sway bar)

Well I just spoke with the service manager about some issues I've had.. Like the fact that even after noticing the $6000+ repairs it looked like it needed they still performed an A service and replaced the oil and what not... The Muffler warranty is for the Catalytic converter only apparently and does not include the whole muffler... he said he would look into that though. I am getting a P0500 trouble code so that is likely causing my limp mode issues. I also brought up that it seems as if the hpfp is working fine and only leaking oil out of a gasket that needs to be replaced. I've read that MBCanada was given a talking to from MB international because they were replacing too many turbos and not replacing gaskets. I will most likely be trying some stuff out myself but am excited to hear about all the local service centres that actually care about Smarts... I really don't know why I didn't check here in the first place.

... The Muffler warranty is for the Catalytic converter only apparently and does not include the whole muffler...

There is only one box so your dealer will have to eat his words and replace your complete exhaust under warranty. The weakness with the exhaust is the bottom seam. Not really a seam but rather a fold like you have in a tin can. Outer skin of exhaust is stainless steel but internal pressure shell is mild steel. The pressure shell is incorporated in the fold, rusts, swells and the fold splits. I TIG welded the complete lower seam on mine and it looks like it will last for many years. If not I'll just keep on patching it up.Leaking high pressure pump is usually worn out o-ring seals. Repair kits are available from both Smart and Bosch. There is a thread with photos showing seal replacement on one of the Smart forums, perhaps even here.

just ordered some Reluctor rings from smartmods and it looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty as soon as they arrive.. perhaps I should make a video of me doing it to help others...As far as the muffler goes what should I say to get them to replace it.. if he insists that the catalytic converter is still fine but it's the muffler that's broken therefore not his problem.. I'm going to have a look to see if I can find that post right now :) Thanks!

Edited by TheBestJohn

Due diligence regarding metallurgy, careful machining to OE spec, and rust resistance. The smartmods rings are a good choice. The J&R rings are cheap, which makes them a good choice depending on your criteria.Neither one will last the life of the car in Ottawa, Canada. Chacun à son goût.Bil :sun:

I went with smartmods because from what I've read they're pretty good with longevity. If I'm going to replace them every 6 months I'd rather spend the extra money now... It's not that I don't want to pay for repairs it's that I'm not willing to spend more than the car is worth ON the repairs.Also does anyone have a link to that Fuel pump rebuild.. can't seem to find it.

Neither one will last the life of the car in Ottawa, Canada. Chacun à son goût.Bil :sun:

J&R rings come with a 10 year warranty. Very cheap but outstanding quality.

I believe Evilution himself is behind Smartmods so not a bad thing to support him by ordering from Smartmods.