Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Anyone Interested In High Tech Fire Extinguishers?

9 posts in this topic

Mangiafuoco in Italy makes a FIA-approved fire extinguisher that is far lighter, more compact and with a 3-4 times longer discharge time in an emergency than a regular powder extinguisher. I was alerted to this company by a fellow in the Netherlands who has one in his Mercedes B Class and has used one in an emergency (on another car). Some of the people at Benzworld are thinking of doing a Group Buy.

There is no Canadian distributor, but the company says that they will sell a case of 12 extinguishers minimum and send them to Canada. The landed-in-Canada unit cost is yet to be certain but the unit cost is 35 to 40 € depending upon whether I order the 50 second discharge version (€35) or the 100 (€40) second discharge version. I'm thinking it might be in the order of $75....I would be the one ordering them.

The company website is here, have a look: Mangiafuoco

Any interest here?

Those look seriously interesting, but I already have a standard extinguisher. Had I not one, I'd definitely be in on the group buy for a 50sec unit!Bil :sun:

Shipping is very expensive at 250 Euros for a box of 12, it cannot go by mail due to the product hazard monograph (which makes distribution within Canada difficult), maybe Greyhound would take them.....it is indeed 480 Euros for the product itself (40 each), the case of 12.

I know that DHL can send hazardous goods in Canada because I've received such at their depot. Greyhound not so much, I think.Bil :sun:

Thanks Bil I just checked with Greyhound and they will not.....but it's good to know that DHL will. If the interested parties were only in BC and Alberta we could probably organise a relay to deliver them!Apparently the 250 Euro shipping cost is relatively fixed, i.e. 2 boxes would still cost 250.

I had a glance at their website. Difficult to read and understand. Looks like they have used Google translator.

that looks very interesting, would be curious to see if somebody ends up using one and the resultsI have been stocking the Halon units for years, I like that there is no residueNot cheap to refill thoughCM

I thought Halon was not legal any more...I must be wrong. This stuff is based on potassium nitrate. The main issue is distribution once landed in Canada...what would DHL charge to move a 30 cm by 4 cm metal stick around the country.Probably the cheaper 35 Euro version (50 seconds) would be enough for any car fire.

Halon is not legal to fill anymore and they have been replaced.I have a Halon in my Wood kiln. good if electronics are around.Just get the hell out quick, Halon uses up all the air.