Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fire_fly88

Car Overheating In -5 Weather?

7 posts in this topic

Took the car for a spin today and had to turn back after five minutes, according to the Scanguage the car temp was up to 120C!!! Yikes!! and no heat in the cabin. It was -5 today so any slush on the windshield would freeze up instantly. Not a fun ride home, motor overheating and windshield frozen. Any idea what is going on here? It’s a 2006 - 450.

Don't drive at 120C, you will warp the head....Inadequate anti-freeze? Coolant leak/airlock?

Check your coolant level... low?Check anti-freeze level with a hygrometer (cheap tool from any autoparts place)... not enough winter protection?Have a look at the underside of the oil filler cap... any "whipped cream" looking froth?Look at the exhaust... any white smoke/water vapour?Could be just a transient vapour lock, or symptom of bad (and expensive) internal coolant leak. In any event, don't drive that car until you remedy the problem.Good luck, cousin!Bil :sun:

Mine did the same thing when the coolant was low 2 years ago, I should top it up again, I keep forgetting, thanks for the reminder.

Topped up the colant level (it was quite low) and took it for a short ride (10Km), I have heat again and the temp seemes to have remained stable. The collant level appears to have droped a bit when I got back (Maybe there was air in the lines). But where did the coolant go in the first palce?

I would say low coolant. Look in the resevoir for ice or slush, also (when standing in front of the car looking at the resevoir) on the driver's side at the back of the resevoir there is a hose that goes into the resevoir, that is a stand pipe. If you don't see coolant in this tube there is an airlock. Best way i have found to deal with air in a smart is a vacuum bleeder. Snap on sells them for about $200 but you need a good air compressor to operate it.